yesbut

Jumbo bench hive

I have been thinking about making another bench hive. It has occurred to me that jumbo frames might be quite a good option. @Shaun ?? Considering in a long hive the frames are always handled individually...

I have been thinking about making another bench hive. It has occurred to me that jumbo frames might be quite a good option. @Shaun ?? Considering in a long hive the frames are always handled individually...

Jumbo frames have there uses, and disadvantages.

Most extractors won't take a jumbo frame (mine does)

Currently only available in wooden frame from NZBees wax (I make my own)

If you want the frames drawn properly right to the bottom bar they need to go on a hive as a honey super first.

The bees love them especially for brood.

One Jumbo box has nearly the same comb area as 2 x 3/4 boxes but cost much less than 2 x 3/4.

I now run all my hives as an 11 frame single Jumbo brood with a QE and 8 frame 3/4 honey boxes.

• Like 1

Beequip in Nelson sells them as well

I have 2 jumbo boxes and I like them as a brood box. I use 3/4 as supers on those. When I bought them, I tried to get frames for them, sent many e-mails asking for jumbo frames but never got a reply. I now use fd frames in my jumbo boxes and will stick to that. I saw a while ago you can now order jumbo frames but am still quite unhappy with the bad service so no inclined to order anything from nzbeeswax.

Beequip in Nelson sells them as well

Now, that could be a good option ;-)

If you want the frames drawn properly right to the bottom bar they need to go on a hive as a honey super first.

I think this is the first time I've noticed you admitting to handling jumbo frames full of honey ! Or do you watch them like an eagle & whip them out the instant they're drawn ?

• Like 1

I think this is the first time I've noticed you admitting to handling jumbo frames full of honey ! Or do you watch them like an eagle & whip them out the instant they're drawn ?

here's a clue..

Most extractors won't take a jumbo frame (mine does)

Bit of both, In spring I often pull them as soon as they are drawn for splits or to replace poor frames. In Autumn I let them get full of honey for feed honey for my winter nucs.

I try to avoid having jumbo supers on during the main honey flow.

@Shaun I'm interested to get an extractor down the line that can process Jumbo frames. What brand is your's and can you give any advice on obtaining one? I'm guessing I will have to call every supplier and ask.

SAF 6 frame, Ceracell were the original supplier.