Silicon moulds small cell, for casting foundation.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Installed some last week to expand the hives three hives, six days and all built in a two box hive not feed, amazed to be honest for August.   Some more pictures   Last picture is of the plastic s

This is probably my last in this series of pictures and posts for these small cell foundation I made. Working so well, I do not feed anything to the bees, only just spring and already laid up two fram

Posted Images

Tried the mould I made last week, some work to do but sheet is useable, little thick and heavy but this is first attempt.

Did you use plastic foundation for the mould? I brought some silicon mould material to do the same thing as you, I haven't done it yet, but am thinking how to get a thinner wax foundation, using a good peice of actual wax foundation to take the mould from may give you a thinner result, Good luck.

Did you use plastic foundation for the mould? I brought some silicon mould material to do the same thing as you, I haven't done it yet, but am thinking how to get a thinner wax foundation, using a good peice of actual wax foundation to take the mould from may give you a thinner result, Good luck.

Just wondering where you bought the silicone from. Have been wanting to have a go at making a silicone mould but couldnt ever see it in any of the stores I have been into.

Just wondering where you bought the silicone from. Have been wanting to have a go at making a silicone mould but couldnt ever see it in any of the stores I have been into.

Got mine direct from a lab, rrp$850+get for 25 kg kit, this is the smallest kit they sell, if u are local can pack some down, messy job, what cell size are u after, these moulds set I can make easy as, took a while to get the volumes rights to allow them to be flexible.

took a while to get the volumes rights to allow them to be flexible.

@Matthew Brajkovich I'm envious. Do you have any trouble with the foundation cracking? I watched a guy on YouTube making foundation sheets to be embossed later. He demonstrated how fragile the sheets were until he'd rolled them with a rolling pin. Once rolled they were soft and pliable.

@Matthew Brajkovich I'm envious. Do you have any trouble with the foundation cracking? I watched a guy on YouTube making foundation sheets to be embossed later. He demonstrated how fragile the sheets were until he'd rolled them with a rolling pin. Once rolled they were soft and pliable.

The flexible I mention above was the silicon, the wax is as sold as so far as it is thick, but the cooling rate of the wax is what you need to slow down and not rush it if you want it to stay soft. Making a mould at present to allow three of these to be made on top of each other to save room, time and as they stack will cool slowly, cast three and then go do something else etc. Also the wax should not be over heated prior to pouring. Rolling it reduces the internal grain size and helps prevent cracking, the wax sheet I made last year cracks but I over heated it and did not roll it as it was made dipping a wet piece of wood.

Making my own wax foundation is the last thing I need to master before I can say I make everything!

I got mine from Shona Lyon, just google the name, make sure you find the correct silicon as there is a lot of different types, the quantity is small maybe just enough for one shot at getting it right, the price is no where like $800, might pay to send her an email and explain what you are doing and she will sort you out with the correct stuff.

What size kits, they look to be polyurethane only, they call them rubber like and yet they are not, which one did you use, buy? Also at $150 for two ltr is even more expensive than what I have, will do two kg for people if they collect for $100, estimate inky, easy, may be less will work it out if anyone interested. Thanks for the info, people I got mine from supply weta.

Also this stuff does not need release agents, making life easy.

Done my plastics foundation mould today, the resin I had only was just enough to do one sheet, will have to get more to do the second.

Both A and B parts to the resin was 1 pound, the volume of each container was about 1 cup, so I had two cups of resin to use which only did one mould, and it was just enough, It would of been good to have just a little more to have it a little thicker, but I think it is OK.

Only took about 2 hours before it was dry to touch, but will leave for 24 hours.

I first forced the resin into the hex pattern with a bondy spreader first to force out air bubbles and then poured the rest of the resin over the top and spread it out even, there are a few air bubbles in the top layer, but hopfully not in the cell section.

image.jpeg.829bcb030686ccfff673aedba6794c04.jpeg

image.jpeg.451faf00c21157a1fcce66810536911b.jpeg

image.jpeg.455a72562f28a15f5c42baf1a33a5c64.jpeg

image.jpeg.fffa877e0fdf5412acbea46d30a11454.jpeg

image.jpeg.451faf00c21157a1fcce66810536911b.jpeg

image.jpeg.455a72562f28a15f5c42baf1a33a5c64.jpeg

image.jpeg.fffa877e0fdf5412acbea46d30a11454.jpeg

image.jpeg.829bcb030686ccfff673aedba6794c04.jpeg

• Like 3

Removed the silicon from the plastic foundations this morning, looks great, no defects or areas that didn't get silicon, it was hard to find a perfect plastic foundation sheet for the job, but found one good enough and the result is an exact replica.

image.jpeg.f4f6c4dd4a7492ebae8d5776a717360d.jpeg

image.jpeg.9b44c467f51bc6d3e57248652821c47e.jpeg

image.jpeg.9b44c467f51bc6d3e57248652821c47e.jpeg

image.jpeg.f4f6c4dd4a7492ebae8d5776a717360d.jpeg

• Like 2
Removed the silicon from the plastic foundations this morning, looks great, no defects or areas that didn't get silicon, it was hard to find a perfect plastic foundation sheet for the job, but found one good enough and the result is an exact replica.

[ATTACH]13627[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]13628[/ATTACH]

Is it small cell?

[ATTACH]13627[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]13628[/ATTACH]

Is that those $150 kits?

Is it small cell?

Is that those $150 kits?

It's 5.4mm cells, I had a look at a the site again to see what product I purchased, and I could not find it, the containers I received look like the were poured off from another larger container, make it hard to identify what I got, as there are no numbers or name on them.

Done some wax castings today, it took 2 goes to get it kinda right, the trick I think it to not to be stingy on pouring the molten wax out, only trouble is it goes every where, and also a fluid motion of rolling down the silicon mould nicely without stopping.

I weighed a purchased rolled FD sheet of wax, it was 59 grams, my cast wax FD sheets were 93 frames.

image.jpg.99a2d9cb11b2a75b6692b30777856aea.jpg

image.jpeg.1ec2204e100bdd28e21baa452d0e8ef4.jpeg

image.jpeg.786835fdb8d1cd9bd383e7a34da20b70.jpeg

image.jpeg.1ec2204e100bdd28e21baa452d0e8ef4.jpeg

image.jpeg.786835fdb8d1cd9bd383e7a34da20b70.jpeg

image.jpg.99a2d9cb11b2a75b6692b30777856aea.jpg

• Like 3