BSB

The growth of unskilled commercial operators

Pollination is now the least profitable part of our business.

To the point where its probably costing us money. [/Quote]

Exactly where we are at, I'm waiting for the season to finish so I can crunch numbers, have now got orchardists panicking asking that we will be there next season, we used to need them now they need us. Am sure we would have done better on honey only and that would be less work

Now the news says Zespri is releasing 400 hectares per year of new license over the next four years that is an extra 1600 hectares of kiwifruit to be pollinated, at what price do they think?

• Like 1

Time to start a new thread. "Just like a commercial".:D

at what price do they think?

It has to be alot more than it is currently and even then why would you bother, taking into account all that extra work that goes into getting a kiwifruit hive ready for pollination then the detrimental effects of sugar syrup getting pumped into it right on the honey flow, add to that the sprays and poisons, then the nightwork of getting them in and out.

Then theres the hives that come out queenless.

So much healthier and more profitable to shift the hives into honey and leave them there.

• Like 1

So much healthier and more profitable to shift the hives into honey and leave them there.

It will be interesting to see how pollination plays out next spring.

Why is kiwi fruit pollination so rough on hives

Is other pollination like apples and stone fruit so bad

Why is kiwi fruit pollination so rough on hives

Is other pollination like apples and stone fruit so bad

There is no nectar in Kiwifruit, so they are fed syrup for the whole duration of pollination. A bit like working alday without all your smoko breaks and only getting dinner when you come home at the end of the day. It can be done for a short period but you'll be physically damaged and take a good while to recover. The bees on pollination of Kiwi are thrashed and the hive relies on the next generation of new bees to get it back on track when placed back out on normal honey production. Putting your hives on Kiwifruit can cost you a box or more of honey production. Its a trade off though as some beekeepers really need the cash injection from pollination to pay for the wifes Spring shopping trip to Sydney;):eek::rofl::rofl::rofl:

• Like 2

There is no nectar in Kiwifruit, so they are fed syrup for the whole duration of pollination. A bit like working alday without all your smoko breaks and only getting dinner when you come home at the end of the day. It can be done for a short period but you'll be physically damaged and take a good while to recover. The bees on pollination of Kiwi are thrashed and the hive relies on the next generation of new bees to get it back on track when placed back out on normal honey production. Putting your hives on Kiwifruit can cost you a box or more of honey production. Its a trade off though as some beekeepers really need the cash injection from pollination to pay for the wifes Spring shopping trip to Sydney;):eek::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Disappointed look from the Accountant mixed with an understanding nod...

K

Kiwifruit polin is also very very low value nutrition wise. Netted blocks are very very hard on the hives... Like nuclear war hard...

Time to start a new thread. "Just like a commercial".:D

:rofl: (y)

in all seriousness, thats been going on for a while and will increase as more and more commercial companies are ditching pollination. especially here where pollination is about the same time as manuka.

they will either have to truck hives up from down south or hobbyist get more organized and start doing it more. with a lot of small orchards, hobbyists could do it.

the downside is you end up with a small area filled with lots of different beeks hives. that has potential to turn bad fast.

Another issue with pollination was pointed out to me by another beekeeper just recently, that is that the hives get audited and have to have a certain amount of brood. So to get the hives ready brood has to be given to any hives that aren't up to it. Another potential vector for undiagnosed or as yet un symptomatic AFB.

Another issue with pollination was pointed out to me by another beekeeper just recently, that is that the hives get audited and have to have a certain amount of brood. So to get the hives ready brood has to be given to any hives that aren't up to it. Another potential vector for undiagnosed or as yet un symptomatic AFB.

The standard isn't that high, from memory for kiwifruit the standard is 6 frames of brood. While it is a strong hive, I wouldn't have thought that many hives would need topping up from other hives....

• Like 1

not all pollination hives get audited. mainly kiwifruit does.

have seen dirty tricks like putting in nucs into pollination before. probably more of that now as no one wants to put in good honey collecting hives.

a possibility is you may find beeks going for the easier pollination. ie there no hive standard, no regular feeding etc.

not all pollination hives get audited. mainly kiwifruit does.

have seen dirty tricks like putting in nucs into pollination before. probably more of that now as no one wants to put in good honey collecting hives.

I couldn't agree more. I have helped audit hives before (NOT my current workplace or my current work places pollination provider, just to clarify) and from the 10 hives I looked through at one block it averaged 2.5 frames of brood and 8 ish frames of bees. They were marketed as 2 box hives and priced accordingly. I'm not experienced enough to have an idea of how wide spread this sort of thing is, all I know is it happens and it is very very bad form.

i think in nelson because the manuka flowers later the orchardists will continue to find beeks to pollinate hives

well i hope so, i grew up on an orchard and i remember my dad getting hives in each year.

i have worked in the orcharding industry for years and would be sad if they were collateral damage of manuka madness.

orchards in nelson area may be doing well now and maybe could afford to pay more for pollination but a few years ago it was pretty bleak commercially

Pollination is hard on bees, and beekeepers. Especially if you double dip (into G3 out and into Green). If you have a later flow, then pollination is a good cashflow. Avocado pollination is even worse. Often smaller blocks of avo's are surrounded by kiwifruit, yeah they don't spray the avo's but do the kiwifruit.

What's the current rate for pollination? somewhere between 180-200?

Pollination is hard on bees, and beekeepers. Especially if you double dip (into G3 out and into Green). If you have a later flow, then pollination is a good cashflow. Avocado pollination is even worse. Often smaller blocks of avo's are surrounded by kiwifruit, yeah they don't spray the avo's but do the kiwifruit.

every aera is different.

kwifruit has an advantage in that its fairly short pollination season and fairly predicable. avo is long and variable but not hard on the bees.

there can be other quirks like avo having to work the hives when they are picking.

some orchards get free pollination due to storage sites for kiwi fruit.

spraying is an issue, not just from other types of orchards but also from the same type. deliberately spraying during pollination season due to withholding periods and aiming to meet time line for a certain market.

That would be the very cheep end of the scale.....

An interesting suggestion introduced that hobby bee keepers step in and do the pollination that will probably not be done, because of the lure of "manuka" honey.

I have not applied my mind to it, but this seems directly against some of the goals of hobby bee keeping, one of the main ones being "happy and healthy" bees. I have no personal experience of commercial pollination, but the pollination which our bees do is part of the natural environment. But trekking them round and feeding them sugar out of season ... and all the other risks.

Nope.

An interesting suggestion introduced that hobby bee keepers step in and do the pollination that will probably not be done, because of the lure of "manuka" honey.

some already do. including shifting hives to cropping sites and selling honey at markets (and nucs/hives).

but they are still a 'hobbyist' not an evil commercial :lol :whistle:

I have not applied my mind to it, but this seems directly against some of the goals of hobby bee keeping, one of the main ones being "happy and healthy" bees.

i certainly would not be taking my home hives out to an orchard right next door to hundreds of other peoples hives.

i think this is where usa has issues, putting the bulk of theirs hives into a cesspool of disease.

It has to be alot more than it is currently and even then why would you bother, taking into account all that extra work that goes into getting a kiwifruit hive ready for pollination then the detrimental effects of sugar syrup getting pumped into it right on the honey flow, add to that the sprays and poisons, then the nightwork of getting them in and out.

Then theres the hives that come out queenless.

"Have you just been in my head @frazzledfozzle

@fieldbee i hate kiwifruit pollination with a passion, apples Im not so vehement about but kiwis are just too much work for too little reward and when you add to that the detrimental effect it has on the bees then I say no, Im not doing it.

With ever increasing amounts of kiwis hoing under nets the story just gets worse every year.

If the manuka bubble bursts I wouldnt be interested in chasing pollination because it just sucks all round.

Id rather just hang up my veil and call it done

• Like 1

With ever increasing amounts of kiwis hoing under nets

:x3:

@fieldbee i hate kiwifruit pollination with a passion, apples Im not so vehement about but kiwis are just too much work for too little reward and when you add to that the detrimental effect it has on the bees then I say no, Im not doing it.

With ever increasing amounts of kiwis hoing under nets the story just gets worse every year.

If the manuka bubble bursts I wouldnt be interested in chasing pollination because it just sucks all round.

Id rather just hang up my veil and call it done

Totally agree, I guess that's why we don't do any pollination work

Every commercial beekeeper I know around this area did pollination as it was vital for a profitable business, its only Manuka honey that has changed things.

I imagine you havent been going long enough to have had to make that decision?