BSB

The growth of unskilled commercial operators

It's a catch 22. Don't move, don't make any money, do move, increase disease risk.

I'm hoping the extra hives I'm seeing around me aren't linked, but I'm not hopeful.

It's a catch 22. Don't move, don't make any money, do move, increase disease risk.

I agree but that is from the perspective of the bk doing the moving. Accept the risk and reap the rewards. If it all goes sour then they absorb the loss within the increased profits they've made.

However, the risk goes up for everyone in the area. And, while the mover has mitigated the risk by chasing a high return crop the local bk may not have that option. It's a really poor outcome for the local business if, despite running a really tight ship, an unskilled transient drops a pallet full of disease just over the fence.

NB. I'm talking generally to the original topic.

This is the second afb outbreak in canterbury in less than 6 month

What makes this worse he is a AP2 HE CHECKS BEEHIVE for afb and gets paid what a total screw up

He is not an AP2. Please try not to grind the rumour mill until this is dealt with through the correct channels. All information regarding the outbreak is still subject to the Privacy Act 1993. I would not worry about the hives moved away, all involved are in my opinion skilled and experienced operators who have been to more than one rodeo.

I am saying what I have been told by a guy who's hives are affected by this

I dear say it will not take many big AFB outbreaks to scare off a whole bunch of new operators...

I dear say it will not take many big AFB outbreaks to scare off a whole bunch of new operators...

More importantly it might scare off the investors as well. Beekeeping is not all Manuka and easy money.

doubt it. many are to focused on the $$$ to care and AFB doesn't get the exposure like varroa does.

I have been told guy has 100 hives at least 85 % have AFB

while its possible to pick up afb from multiple sources all at the same time, i would say its rare.

to get to that sort of infection rate something is very wrong with the beekeeping.

hives are not being checked or making up an excuse to justify ignoring the problem. it generally takes years to spread it around all your hives.

guys like these tend to always be a problem because the underlying cause is often never fixed or fixable.

its highly unusual for experienced beeks to have such a widespread problem.

Take a look at the annual report for 2015. It's scary how many commercials are deliberately breaking the rules and having DECAs cancelled.

AFB Annual Report

Take a look at the annual report for 2015. It's scary how many commercials are deliberately breaking the rules and having DECAs cancelled.

AFB Annual Report

''Wairarapa. A commercial beekeeper registered a large number of apiary sites following a helicopter surveillance operation. The beekeeper also had his DECA cancelled. A second commercial beekeeper failed to register any sites, he was contacted by phone and given an extension until the end of February 2015 to become fully compliant. He too lost his DECA and now his case will be handed over to the MPI Compliance Investigation Division. A semi-commercial beekeeper who failed to control AFB and left infected hives to be robbed out lost his DECA, his beekeeping operation has been put under a notice of direction where the Management Board steps in to ensure that potentially contaminated material is clearly identified. AFB inspections are being carried out and a traceability system will be implemented for this season.''

Crap Dang what the dickens!!!!!!

Crap Dang excuse me?!!!!!!

My thoughts exactly :( Hawke's Bay reads a little better but it's sad to see this nonsense on our doorstep.

Crap Dang excuse me?!!!!!!

Translation re intended message please ?

My thoughts exactly :( Hawke's Bay reads a little better but it's sad to see this nonsense on our doorstep.

And it keeps going down the country! Its interesting that it seams be in groups/areas....

Maybe it's time for the industry to be taken seriously by the Government. it is a high value export market being abused by cowboys. Some of these cowboys have been bee keepers for a long time. A new system or framework needs to be introduced to protect the Bees bee keepers and the honey. Perhaps a quota management system similar to the fisheries, with full time inspectors and serous compliance costs and serous fines for breach of compliance. Applying to both commercial and the hobbyist.

Are there not enough people and government departments leeching off the beekeepers hard work already? Regulation set by those who lobby the hardest (the big guys who can spare time money and staff to do it) heaven help us all!!

He is not an AP2. Please try not to grind the rumour mill until this is dealt with through the correct channels. All information regarding the outbreak is still subject to the Privacy Act 1993. I would not worry about the hives moved away, all involved are in my opinion skilled and experienced operators who have been to more than one rodeo.

just wondering why the privacy act would apply to a notifiable disease like AFB.

does the act apply to other things like TB and foot and mouth ?

does that mean that if your hives were next to an apiary with an AFB out break you would not be allowed to know ?

just wondering why the privacy act would apply to a notifiable disease like AFB.

does the act apply to other things like TB and foot and mouth ?

does that mean that if your hives were next to an apiary with an AFB out break you would not be allowed to know ?

I am not a policy maker and really don't know why the privacy act is so strict when it comes to AFB. My guess would be that it applies because it is notifiable and the government in one form or another deal with it. It is also commercially sensitive information. I have no idea if the act applies to TB, but I suspect it would not apply to foot and mouth. Perhaps some of our community with dairy/beef experience can answer that for you.

If AFB is found within 5km of your apiary, asure quality will notify you via email/letter. This is called an AFB robbed out notice. The letter does not contain any details, being subject to the privacy act. It is solely to advise you to be diligent in your inspection for AFB.

Interestingly all my apiaries are Orange via Apiweb so within 3km yet I've never received a letter or email about it, HMMMMMMMMMMMM

Interestingly all my apiaries are Orange via Apiweb so within 3km yet I've never received a letter or email about it, HMMMMMMMMMMMM

The apiweb history goes back 18-24 months I think. The letter is usually only issued if the hive has been robbed out. So your sites may be red/orange on apiweb, indicating afb in the area within the last 18ish months, but as there was no rob out you were not issued a letter.

what is interesting is the lack of information about northern beeks.

i know there is work being done, its just we don't seam to ever hear about it.

Problem is beekeeping is growing quicker that companys can plan and staff probably

the inherent problem with beekeeping is it takes a long time to learn and be proficient.

very easy to grow bigger than your skill and knowledge.

the inherent problem with beekeeping is it takes a long time to learn and be proficient.

very easy to grow bigger than your skill and knowledge.

I find 2 or 3 hives is quite enough for me to manage well at this stage.

They are like fruit trees.

I have seen people plant large domestic orchards and neglect them because it is too much .

They get less fruit off 20 trees than some who has 3 trees that are looked after properly.

• Like 3

I am another new wave beekeeper and have recently started working for a commercial operator looking to double hive numbers next season, as there is no formal entry qualifications for beekeeping I am completing a Telford course, plus working in the industry as I head towards my own apiary. Of course in business you want to make money but for me the lifestyle on offer via self employment is important. The level of professionalism, knowledge, and skills I have seen thus far in my short career has been disappointing and thus I'm largely teaching myself on the job and via my studies - I guess I'm saying don't knock all new industry entrants, not all of us are cowboys

• Like 5