• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks dave.. if i started applying limitations like making financial sense to my pets and hobbies i could see my dog feeling really nervous and things like snow boarding and scuba would definately fail :-)

Do or did you have any comparitive experience with the paradise honey poly hives?

I have paradise honey gear and it's great so my interest in swienty hives is mostly curiosity but also because the profiled edges on the ph gear makes it a bit fiddly mixing and matching with diy gear like cloak boards.

I found a company here in oz that deals with swienty but dont have the hives

Not that I know of. But what would be the difference with burning plastic frames.

Hey Trevor,

Only that its illegal to burn plastic and not the best thing for Green house gases as well. Here are the Auckland Councils Rules

Yes we don't have the option of gamma irradiation that our Australian cousins "Well at least that know of"

I know of one beekeeper that used an Industrial incinerator to get rid of a some AFB frames, just keen to hear what people are doing.

I only ask because people keep asking me, and so far I have advised buy wooden boxes and frames.

Biosecurity law trumps local authority regs

Absolutely correct. I needed to burn 2 hives a few years ago. I rang the first service (February) and they said no way, Fire ban among a few other things. I quotes the bio-security act , that said they would call back, 15 min later they said, Here is your permit number, here is a number to ring before you start burning and I needed to have a hose on hand and to ring them when i was finished. Simple.

But what would be the difference with burning plastic frames.

nothing, still huge amounts of black smoke.

i havn't burnt the poly hives but we had a couple of early synthetic boxes (looked more like foam you have inside fridges). sadly they went up in flames due to afb.

• Like 1
It's difficult to think it's worth importing them though.

It's looking like you were right Dave.

The swienty poly hives are molded as single-piece boxes so freight is nasty due to the volume they take up.

eg a 40' high shipping container would fit just 300 hives (3 x FD boxes, base,lid) so about 3 times the volume and hence freight as flat packed paradise hive equipment.

Sad... as amongst the folk who have ready access to both paradise and swienty gear the swienty stuff seems more popular; particularly amongst hobbyists that want to mix and match with DIY gear etc.

Polystyrene melts with petrol, I'd minimize the Poly with petrol then burn what's left

that would be a very important info to get to all poly-owners/buyers/sellers.

can you imagine the disaster if someone kills a load of afb-poly-hives, loads them on the truck and on the way to the destination of destruction the mess flows of the deck?

can we please have the input of the bio sec guys on that one, @Grant.

Currently clause 28 of the Biosecurity (National American Foulbrood Pest Management Plan) Order 1998 requires that any hive discovered to have AFB must be destroyed by burning unless their DECA says otherwise (this would typically be if they had provision in their DECA to paraffin dip woodware at 160C for 10 minutes). It has long been acknowledged by the AFBPMP Management Agency that the burning of plastic frames (and polystyrene in this case) is not ideal, but to the best of my knowledge, no one is currently investigating effective (and more environmentally friendly) alternatives.

Currently clause 28 of the Biosecurity (National American Foulbrood Pest Management Plan) Order 1998 requires that any hive discovered to have AFB must be destroyed by burning unless their DECA says otherwise (this would typically be if they had provision in their DECA to paraffin dip woodware at 160C for 10 minutes).

@Byron many thanks for the clarification. We get many "urban myths" and non validated reports with regards to DECA and plastic hive ware. Do you know of any current examples where the non burning of plastic frames/hives has been approved within someones DECA, and alternative measures have been approved?

• Like 1
that would be a very important info to get to all poly-owners/buyers/sellers.

can you imagine the disaster if someone kills a load of afb-poly-hives, loads them on the truck and on the way to the destination of destruction the mess flows of the deck?

can we please have the input of the bio sec guys on that one, @Grant.

They would be burnt though I wouldn't risk putting them on a truck, Dig a hole, Put hives in, melt, burn, bury.

They would be burnt though...

I'm guessing but i expect tom was thinking of someone perhaps using petrol to kill the bees in a sick hive and then carting them somewhere to destroy.

That'd be good practice normally to ensure no stragglers but problematic if the petrol causes a poly hive to dissolve and napalm the car beside/behind you :-)

Its possible petrol in the volumes necessary to kill bees isnt sufficient enough to cause a disaster on hd eps but there are other better/safer alternatives any way so why risk it. (That said i have to visit victor and daves warehouse later today so will see if they have a bit of scrap to test with)