Maxi from Chelseas Sugar fitting

Hi guys, I just purchased my first ever maxi of sugar syrup from Chelsea Sugar.

It came with an outlet as pictured, I unscrewed the green bung and looks like it's a 50 mm bsp thread. I can probably put a fitting on it and lead to the pump, but not quite sure how to deal with the bladder that's running across the inside of the fitting.

Anyhow I'm keen to hear how anyone has set this up, or any knowledge, tips or tricks that could be offered.

Maxi%201_zpsgwkef8fu.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When finished I used to blow up the inners of any maxi I got, and the kids in the street would to play with them until they popped, they'd have hours of fun with them.

far better off getting them new.  they are disposable and cost of cleaning them out is probably more that buying them. last thing you want is to leave "food" in them for nasty things in the water

OK I saw that and assumed that was what it was for. But isn't there a risk the piece of chopped bladder will get caught in the tap or the pump?

the saw bit sits against the tap fitting you screw in. never had it come out yet.

Alastair youll be right Ive opened heaps of these, just make sure your tap is turn off when you screw it in, the teeth rip most of the plastic but with the pressure of out going syrup it folds over what is left and it stays connected to the bladder. Keep the bung and when the maxi is finished pull out the bladder give it a rinse and use your honey blower and inflate it and it give to kids or grandkids to play with, makes a 1m square beach ball that kids can jump on.

• Like 3
If I can change hot water cylinder elements without draining them first, I'm sure you could whack a hole & shove the tap in !!

Bad pink puss puss - someone may take your advice literally and try such a stupid thing.

The no water in/no water out hydro siphon thing of a hotwater cylinder will not work with the collapsable bladder of a chelsea maxi.

flow it will !!!!

listen to the pink cats advice with peril - or at least a bloody stick mess.

i broke the plastic surround fitting on one of mine - and oh yeah it comes out all right.......

Don't worry about the bladder coming adrift - it never completely cuts.

I can take a pic of my simple tap set up tomorrow if you want.

• Like 1

Yes a pic would be good. :)

Don't worry I won't be doing a cut and quick screw in, if it went bad it could be very ugly not to mention the syrup cost me best part of a grand. But knowing I can screw that saw tooth thing in but the bladder flap will not come totally off and get caught in anything is handy to know that's the kind of info I need.

And the square beach ball could be fun. :)

Try asking Ceracell for a tap for the maxi, they used to give you one on your first order but that was a while back now. The tap has a sharp steel cutting needle the cuts through the bladder once you've put a few turns on the tap. Just be careful not to cross thread it!

All worked well, thanks all for the advice! :)

Some info, the thread on the maxi is 50 mm BSP. So I got a double ended 50 mm male BSP fitting, and put the tap I already have on one end of it, and screwed the other end into the maxi, first putting that circular saw type thing in that comes in the maxi bung.

It worked perfectly, chopped the bladder open and didn't spill a drop. I connected the other end of the tap to my pump and today fed out most of the syrup without a hitch. Quite pleased with the whole system. :)

Oh one other question, have realised that when the maxi is just about empty it may be hard to get the last few litres out of it, any tips or tricks about that?

• 4 years later...
2 hours ago, Dean Tremlett said:

Has anyone got used chelsea sugar maxi plastic inner in the Auckland area. I want to send to samoa as a collapsible water storage 

far better off getting them new. 

they are disposable and cost of cleaning them out is probably more that buying them. last thing you want is to leave "food" in them for nasty things in the water to eat and multiply. 

• Like 1

Thanks for that. I'll try chelsea direct. It's not for drinking water just irrigation. I used to be a beekeeper and know these things and in those days weren't reused. Perfect to send in container as they deflate to nothing and with a thin ply outer structure would do the job.