The VMC ME hives sound interesting, worth looking at when you are ready.

@CraBee Not sure if the question was directed at your truly but I'll answer in case. Our season starting in Aug 2015 and it was a "off" year for the Jarrah so there was barely enough blossom to keep the hives breeding, on top of that my queen breeder was unable to supply queens until October that meant those hives with poor queens coming out of winter could not be replaced early. We moved our bees to the Karri forest in the middle of December to find it was yielding, though be it lightly, our first Karri extraction was in the second week of January 2016. Those hives which had the very poor queens took a long time (6 weeeks) after re queening to get the bee numbers up.

We run three types of hives as part of our research program, the standard MidEntrance, a QB2 MidEntrance (2 queens per hive) and a new design called a MidEntrance VMC. Honey yields from the the standard ME hives have been 7 kg per week, from the QB2 ME have been about 10-12 kg per week, while honey production from the VMC ME hives have been around 15 kg per week.

Once we complete a full season with the VMC ME hives we plan to make them available for NZ beekeepers to trial against Varro Mites.

The VMC ME hives have a much higher concentration of CO2 within. The high CO2 it appears to extend the life span of the field bee by at least 3 to 4 days and they have the most bees per hive I've ever seen in my 60 years of beekeeping.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ATTACH]13077[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]13078[/ATTACH] We are still in the midst of a big willow dew flow here, the upside of that is that it's easy to produce good sized cells.

Nice cells, heaps of jelly!!!