Guy

NZBF Quick queen question

I've split a hive and requeened last Tuesday (my first mail order queen - weird). Checked to make sure she got out ok and found her still in the packaging - alive and well but they hadn't made their way through the food. Looked like a fair bit left so I took a chance and opened it up and let her out. I'm hoping it will be ok - is it normal for other bees to rush over to her? Or did I just watch the slaughter of my new queen?

This far out should be ok unless there is another queen in the hive... Did the other bees look aggressive!

They were very quick to her and piled up but I didn't see any stinging...

I did almost exactly the same thing about a month back and as i stepped back watched the queen walk out of the cage and ... fly away never to return :geek:

• Like 1

Well, while I waited for her to settle in a turned my back to look at my other hives (and all of the wasps hanging around!). She may well have bolted at that point. Unfortunately she wasn't marked and I'm terrible at spotting queens so I guess I'll have to check back in a week or two to see if she's still alive and well...

If shes been in a cage in the hive for a week she should be accepted no problem.

If she isnt its because theres a virgin or another queen in that hive or theres something wrong with her.