tudor

Wasp poisoning with Vespex update

Checked site today, not a wasp seen near the hives. The odd wasp seen amongst the scrub though. Damage has been done though, weak hive decimated.

If you can't get vespex then i don't recommend this method (just popped up in my YouTube today)

don't trust men with painted toenails. [just saying].

Test completed and registration form filled out. Looking forward to using this stuff, wasps are going to be a problem for me this season. Will activity test today, what prompted my thought to them switching to protein, is wasps flying past carrying bees, and chomping on bees on the ground. Merchento say protein not before January.

Put out about 8 vespex bait stations a few days ago around the farm, quite a few are being heavily fed on. Yippee! so sick of the sight of the wasps at the syrup pelecons getting fat lol. Only good wasp is a dead one :)

• Like 1

Put out about 8 vespex bait stations a few days ago around the farm, quite a few are being heavily fed on. Yippee! so sick of the sight of the wasps at the syrup pelecons getting fat lol. Only good wasp is a dead one :)

Seen a 'few' wasps up here in Whangarei, but no where near as many as I observed on Tuesday in the Waitakeres. It will be a real 'nightmare' this year after the mild winter. :mad:

Yes the Waitaks is pretty notorious. The council or whoever do a fair bit of Vespex baiting down there.

Build lotsa wasp traps, drown the ######s. Jam, old fruit, flat fizzy, splash of vinegar, teeny squeeze of detergent, use any bottle with lid still on, fill two to three inches, then make post box slit ] 3/4 up the bottle. I put one in every block of four hives. Shake every time you're in the apiary.

The detergent breaks the surface tension which makes the waspies sink below the surface and the vinegar deters most bees.

I make heaps of these every year and kill thousands. Use milk bottles, juice bottles, cider bottles (I take one for the team) get your Whanau to collect bottles.

Have seen plenty of wasps about so going to make some traps,until I get the vespex test done.

So I take it ,u put the above ingredients into the bottle,with some water? Is it a watery mix u end up with or more of a thick jam/ fizzy or water slurry?

I'm getting regular calls now to deal to wasps. Haven't seen any big nests yet. All fairly small.

Not as bad as last year.

Quite a few wasps around, tending to hammer nucs. So I put out 4 baiting stations without testing, and immediately a wasp arrived in one, made a ball of vespex poison, and flew off with it. Wasp numbers right down now.

• Like 2

Have about 40 stations around our farm and all the bait is still been eaten by wasps at the moment, still a lot around but have noticed a mass drop tho. Located in Nelson

• Like 1

For all vespex users,has anyone tried adding a touch of jam( sweetener) onto their baits?

If wasps are in sugar/ carb gathering mode now would that help the case of getting them to take bait?

For all vespex users,has anyone tried adding a touch of jam( sweetener) onto their baits?

If wasps are in sugar/ carb gathering mode now would that help the case of getting them to take bait?

Never, That would also attract the bees.

really bad idea.

there is still warnings out because idiots are STILL mixing jam with poison and accidentally poisoning there own hives.

OK thanks Trevor.More milk bottles needed!

Its more at home I'm concerned about when the kids are about.

Iv got my wets blanked off with boards an newsprint and stacked in the shed,two nucs and other used empty boxes stacked next to wets.

On top of that,fig tree that's getting hammered by birds so heaps of open rotting fruit.I can move the nucs.....or do I jus have to persevere and drink more milk!!

Its more at home I'm concerned about when the kids are about.

Iv got my wets blanked off with boards an newsprint and stacked in the shed,two nucs and other used empty boxes stacked next to wets.

On top of that,fig tree that's getting hammered by birds so heaps of open rotting fruit.I can move the nucs.....or do I jus have to persevere and drink more milk!!

You need to cast about to locate and destroy the nests BEFORE they go into queen raising mode. Killing workers may make you feel better but it won't solve your problem long term.

Google or search NZBees. There are posts describing how to find wasp nests in the evenings.

Just done a round of all my hives over the last few days, yards that had previously had massive wasp numbers at this time of year and even killed weaker hives and nucs, this time not a wasp to be seen. So nice and relaxing, to watch bees just going about their business without having to tussle with wasps.

Except for just one site, where there were serious wasp issues going on with wasps walking right into some hives. Have set vespex, and waited around to see if wasps are taking it, and sure enough they were right on it, this was yesterday. So pretty confident the bees there will be happy chappies in a few days time.

Another site only around 1 km away had no wasps, so looking like it might be just one major wasp nest local to that apiary.

Not sure where all the wasps have gone, but there are so many other beekeepers all around here including commercials, I'm wondering if the whole area has been vespex bombed already and wasps just about eliminated.

• Like 2

I've just checked around our 3 home hives. Bees busy bringing in pollen. Enjoying the sunshine.

Only wasp I saw was by the BBQ on the veranda. Waited until it settled.., bye bye wasp

Our neighbour had found a nest and said he was dealing with it...

Last year the vespex work magnificently but so far this year it has been a little bit disappointing and I am going to have to rebait. I am not blaming the product as they give quite clear instructions and the wasps obviously just weren't interested at the time. I killed eight nest today in about 10 minutes and then stoped looking as I had run out of pixie dust. I still don't think there are as many as last year but a few areas are definitely being hammered.

Wasp numbers have plummeted here. I'd like to think the Vespex had something to do with it. But if I'm honest, I reckon it's the poor weather, particularly the rain, that has set them back. Either way, it gets the (y) from me