tudor

Wasp poisoning with Vespex update

Sounds as if we are neck and neck ...

:)

I think your nose is in front but I might head off @Hector Wong

I think your nose is in front but I might head off @Hector Wong

I received my number yesterday too so will e ordering today even though they won’t be processing until tomorrow. So I guess they will be sending it all at the same time

Sounds like a 3 way race, 50 cents is the bet ...

Sounds like a 3 way race, 50 cents is the bet ...

Received invoice today @Janice & @tudor. Will make paymet tonight then it’s the waitig game again.

Received invoice today @Janice & @tudor. Will make paymet tonight then it’s the waitig game again.

Ditto

I paid on Friday so I may scoop the pool (or as Spooner said, *** the school) - or not ...

I paid on Friday so I may scoop the pool (or as Spooner said, *** the school) - or not ...

It was your 50c so you would only be gettting your money back so OK with me. Not a very good investment!

I baited our neck of the woods in early January. I didn't do the cat food test as wasps were just monstering my hives. Flying in stinging the bees, cutting them up and back to their nest with the thorax.

I put out 20 traps using a hand gridded map printed from google earth, it was a good way to meet neighbors I didn't know. Everybody was very happy to have the bait stations.

Very few of the stations were touched but two were completely used up. The wasp numbers were nil for eight weeks, there are a few coming back now but negligible numbers. Great product.

• Like 2

Thanks- how long did it take to have an effect ?

I baited our neck of the woods in early January. I didn't do the cat food test as wasps were just monstering my hives. Flying in stinging the bees, cutting them up and back to their nest with the thorax.

I put out 20 traps using a hand gridded map printed from google earth, it was a good way to meet neighbors I didn't know. Everybody was very happy to have the bait stations.

Very few of the stations were touched but two were completely used up. The wasp numbers were nil for eight weeks, there are a few coming back now but negligible numbers. Great product.

Out of interest where were the ones that cleaned out located in relation to your hives?

Goodies all arrived this arvo, and I have one bait station set up near our house with lots of wasps around, attracted to the bird sugar syrup feeder. And coming inside all the time.

Lots of wasps all over the bait station, putting up stations tomorrow in apiaries.

All will be revealed.

• Like 2

Lots of wasps all over the bait station, putting up stations tomorrow in apiaries.

All will be revealed.

Since killing the nest next door I haven't seen a wasp. Such a sweet dilemma - waiting for wasps and them not coming.

• Like 2

I haven't seen a wasp for months here.

• Like 1

Out of interest where were the ones that cleaned out located in relation to your hives?

40m away, toward a stand of bamboo. It was the direction I saw a lot of wasps coming from last year.

Rather dim young tui arrived and thought "thing attached to pergola must be a feeder" but fell off 4 times before, fortunately, abandoning the vespex dispenser.

Time to ignore it all for a week and see the results.

• Like 1

Wasps not interested in the the sardine cat food test put some fresh trout out 4pm boom 2 wasps on it very fast.

so think ill do my tests with trout.

Did your vespex get eaten @Trevor Gillbanks

Wasps not interested in the the sardine cat food test

Did you have the right sardines, ie in water not oil ?

Did your vespex get eaten @Trevor Gillbanks

3 of my apiaries have taken the bait. 3 have not. No wasps around the taken bait apiaries.

I am happy with the results at this stage

• Like 1

Since killing the nest next door I haven't seen a wasp. Such a sweet dilemma - waiting for wasps and them not coming.

'twas but a short respite. Wasps back today. Will do catfood test on Saturday (for interest as much as anything else) with a view to laying baits on Sunday.

My vespex arrived today but the courier didn't deliver it although I was at home, just left a card, which I found hours later. So I had to pick it up from town and leave it in the car while I did a full shift at work. I hope the 'store frozen' thing isn't critical . . .

Glad yours arrived, my impression is that it is thawed for use then refrozen to keeping. Used some on Tuesday when still thawed, and allowed to defrost today for more uses, more tomorrow and then will freeze.

Good action on the wasps hammering the bird feeder out front, full jar of sugar water was being drained by lunch time by 50 + wasps, now down to 2-3 and sugar water being used only by birds, half left at night fall.

Now have a number of dispensers in action about 100 m apart, will see the effects.

• Like 2

Did you have the right sardines, ie in water not oil ?

Oops no what brand has water baste

Oops no what brand has water baste

The training video refers to "400g cans of chunky sardine cat food". Countdown supermarket has it under their home brand.

I must credit @Janice with helping me find it though.

The training video refers to "400g cans of chunky sardine cat food". Countdown supermarket has it under their home brand.

I must credit @Janice with helping me find it though.

I did get chunky sardine cat food home brand but reading the label it has veg oil in it.. so is there a water based one??