Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Water is toxic in the right quantity

I think it could be , nandina domestica

Yep when you brush past or touch the leaves

Posted Images

• 3 years later...
3 hours ago, tudor said:

Thanks.  It appears that they are very toxic ?

The scientific literature says that Nandina species produces a chemical which breaks down to cyanide when ingested. Birds might die when they eat the berries, but children (and adults) are probably big enough to cope with the occasional accidental ingestion. Probably fine as long as you don't put it in your gob.

• Good Info 1
2 hours ago, Mummzie said:

in my garden alone these are listed as poisonous.

Wisteria, Gloriosa Lilly, Swan plants, primroses, Hellebores, Privet, Rhododendron, Arum Lilly, crocus, Foxglove

From Nzpcm.org.nz

Gloriosa are very pretty , does it flower well ?

There is poisonous that makes you feel unwell and teaches you a valuable life lesson and poisonous\Darwin award. I tend to draw the line at the Darwin award plants like oleander. Had one by my gate many years ago until I found a leaf in the mouth of my toddler which he had grabbed  in passing from his pushchair. Fortunately no repercussions except for the oleander.

• Sad 2

yes digitalis poisoned one toddler here who had to be admitted - a flower was given to him by his strange brother !

We removed all foxgloves, and now they are returning after 15 years.  Lovely in the garden again, but new crop of grand kids is starting ...

• Thanks 1