Sam Tim

Export NZ honey

go door knock on every commercial beekeeper in the country and make an offer.

Where do I find the top ten commercial bee keepers in NZ.

China

China

not sure whether to laugh or cry lol

Thanks tristram.

What do you want to know for? You're a non beekeeper and didn't choose honey marketing as an option, so how are you going to export it?

I've got a box or two of raw, high UMF (urban multi floral) honey that I could sell. It's south island stuff too, much better than the bulk rubbish they produce up in the north island, that every Tom, Dick or Harry produces. ;)

• Like 3

Thanks tristram.

its obvious your not really a professional exporter as one would have have done at least 5 minutes worth of research first.

none of the top 10 produces sell honey to exporters as they do their own exporting.

they are also the biggest buyers of honey from other beekeepers.

also its a sellers market. only way for a new guy to buy product is to outbid everyone else. you will never get a "good price".

this is nothing new, we get hundreds of so called "exporters" who think they can make a quick $$$ out of honey.

i suggest you try The Honey Network

Sam appears you have poked a lot of bears with a big stick.

N

Sam appears you have poked a lot of bears with a big stick.

ot that there is anything wrong with that....

i suggest you try The Honey Network

That was a good link Tristan, I hadn't seen that one before.

It looks like there are more contract bottlers than I thought...

• Like 2

Hi @Sam Tim

Last year in Vietnam, the highest price for raw honey was $3.25NZD/litter. This year, this price would be much more lower. And we cannot export honey ourselves. Wish you can help us. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Hi @Sam Tim

Last year in Vietnam, the highest price for raw honey was $3.25NZD/litter. This year, this price would be much more lower. And we cannot export honey ourselves. Wish you can help us. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

i don't think he will much help.

we gets loads of people wanting to "export nz honey" to make a quick $$$ off the back of manuka.

if they can't do 5 minutes of research they not going to do months of work to make next to nothing in another country.

@Cong big problem you guys have is your honey. it would fail a lot of countries testing. its not just people adding sugar etc, but simply extracting honey from the brood as you have mentioned is a guaranteed fail. they will have to devise much better beekeeping if they have any hope of exporting to a good market. a lot of countries are very tough on their standards and have labs that will test it.

Dear @tristan

I know that. But I don't argee with you that extracting honey from brood is fail. If we fail, why dont you think how did we export honey to US, Europe last year, 2,3,4...years before? Each country have their own way of rasing bees and extracting honey. Problem of my country is that many people who raise bees/resell our honey are unethical, not the way we extract honey. Vietnam is a poor country, most of beekeepers dont have enough knowledge. They even did not graduated secondary or high school. They need an agent who can buy their honey then help them to export it. Living standar in Vietnam is really low. We might use a motorbike for twenty years untill it cannot be fixed or Some beekeepers do never dream of buying a car. So, how do they buy advanced equiptment like you? We are trying to innovate the way of keeping bees as well as equiptments day by day. It would be slow but we proud of that. And can you please dont say that our honey is not clean!

But I don't argee with you that extracting honey from brood is fail.

you missed the point.

when you extract honey with brood in it, the CFU count goes way up and this is something that even NZ honey gets rejected for from time to time. what the limit is depends on what country you sell to.

i have no idea how you guys get your honey into various markets. that method of extracting honey will have an horrendous CFU count and that will limit what markets you can sell to.

if price is to low, then you need to produce more volume, like Chinese honey the largest in the world but also the cheapest, or have a high quality product that you can sell to those willing to pay more for quality.

How big Chinese is comparing to Vietnam or NZ? and how many tons of honey we export compare to China?

countries that exported the highest dollar value worth of natural honey during 2014:

1. China: US$260.3 million (11.4% of total honey exports)

3. New Zealand: $168.2 million (7.3%)

6. Vietnam: $127.8 million (5.6%)

WTEx

In 2010, United States Imports of Honey mostly from Argentina, follows by Vietnam. Mostly because we sell raw honey to intermediaries. Then they use a machine to reduce "percent of water" (i dont know exact words). after that, intermediary export honey over seas. and "Vietnam honey is mainly exported to the U.S market at price much lower than that of other countries (US$2.48/kg)." that is the reason for why our honey is cheap.

"According to Vietnam beekeeping association, Vietnam continuously gained good results in exporting honey to the world in the first seven months of 2014. In total, 27,000 tons of honey were exported to 14 countries and territories. The country succeeded in exporting to the new strict market, Australia and other markets such as Mongolia and the EU. The U.S. still accounts for 95% of the country’s total export revenue, with over 25,000 tons in the first 7 months of 2014." Vietnam trade - promotion agency

My father and his brothers who is working in beekeeping have no ideas on CFU. our country have no law or standar requirements on honey bees. We might not know this, however, our honey is still good.

they just need to keep on marketing it to other markets around the world. always a market for good tasty honey especially with a good story behind it. you don't have to accept a poor price if you can sell it elsewhere.

as you mention before, whats tends to kill it is quality. for eg to much sugar in it. quality control is something they will have to invest in.

you have the quantity, at a guess nearly double per hive compared to here. so its not going to take much of a price increase to increase the profit.

• Like 1