brett soutar

hive timber

Hi everyone.

we have run a mill as part of our business for the last 5 years. It was only recently that we had interest in timber for bee boxes on a larger scale. ( I have always milled and built our boxes )

Just wondering if there is any interest in timber for bee boxes and what dimensions are best for you .

We were looking at 250x25 as standard .

We have run pine, poplar, crytomereia , cedars, mac etc. So we will milling timber specficaly for the bee keeper. We also have a selection of hardwoods for runners. We like the idea of no treatment timbers for runners and base boards especially.

Couple of questions. Price per metre??? what is a fair price to charge you guys and gals?

how many metres are you likely to want annually?

What time of year do you see as best for you to purchase your timber?

Any answers would be helpful.

Couple of questions. Price per metre??? what is a fair price to charge you guys and gals?

I would like it free and delivered and stacked I'm my shed for the same price. I would want all you could produce

I thought we had most of this conversation last year...

I've been waiting for a message to say that you have some timber ready for me...

Supplier for 20mm pine

8th feb last year I said

@brett soutar If your cutting Macrocarpa I'm interested in 305 wide for jumbo boxes. Only Good grade tight/small knot to clear grade.

Needs to be a generous rough sawn 25mm (more like 27-28mm) as warpage as it dries means it wont clean up 22mm thick. From my point of view just over 2.5m lengths are the best to handle single handed in my home workshop. If the grade is good enough I'm happy to pay up $10 per linear metre for 305 x 25 Mac.

I now have the dust extractor for my workshop machines which was also part of the conversation.

i think there is two ways.

you either stick to standard sizes, which people always look for cheapest but you can have better price is the quailty is there or better timber.

or you go thicker timber but that will require all the gear to be made to custom size eg base, lid, hive mat etc.

Do you mill paulownia at all?

I'm differently keen to support the little guy so to speak but I don't have the time to take I from rough sawn to hive gear....:

when I make my own boxes I dress down to 23 mm. I wouldn't touch pine boxes unless they came from old trees. You are unfortunately a bit far away from me but I would love to try some exotic timbers. Poplar can be a lovely timber to work but I'm not sure how durable. It might be fine in bee boxes. White pine is a non-durable timber but I have some that I know are over 60 years old.

I'm differently keen to support the little guy so to speak but I don't have the time to take I from rough sawn to hive gear....:

Thanks anyway

I buy old man pine rough sawn from katikati for $4 a metre for 250 x 25 if you can beat that!

That's a bit expensive when you fator in cost to plane to size,even doing it your self. $2.50/m is a better price.

I'm using rough sawn untreated pine 300x25 and 100x25 for top bar hives. Currently, I build ten at a time. That requires 58m of 300x25 and 135m of 100x25. I pay $4.49/m for the 300x25 and 0.94/m for 100x25. It usually comes wet and warped, so it would be nice to work with nicer wood, but it remains to be seen how to figure out delivery from Waihi (currently only costs $20 locally). I cut up 55m of that 100x25 into 32mm wide strips on table saw, so it might reduce wasteage and help save planet if I could buy 32mm x 27mm directly from you. If you or Daniel or anyone has a cunning plan, then I would be keen on 290m of 305x27 and 400m of 104x27 plus 825m of 32x27mm. That would keep me quiet for a bit. But aside from that the current supply from ITM Tauranga gets the job done albeit anything else would be an improvement.. I appreciate these volumes are miniscule, but that's what I buy and that's what I pay so I am open to all suggestions.... I use it like that directly; r/s I don't have a thicknesser, I don't plane to size.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Poplar is a light and fairly durable timber. have milled some in the past for board and batten as well as weather boards. my poplar boxes seem to be doing the trick.

We will start cutting some dimensional in the next month or so ( got a few trees to climb in the mean time). So will cut to some of those dimensions mentioned above and we will see what we can do price wise.

What time of the year do you need the timber . would be great to get a good supply sorted for when you need it or are passing with a trailer and think you might pick some up.

• Like 1

That's a bit expensive when you fator in cost to plane to size,even doing it your self. $2.50/m is a better price.

I don't plane it down

Hi Brett.

What prices did you come up with?