Received a message from someone about wanting a hive removed. They hadn't been do that particular part of the property in a while so unsure as to how long they have been there. He was doing some gardening and part way through an angry swarm of bees came out and he ended up getting half a dozen stings.

The hive appears to be underground, you can see the hole in the ground where their entrance is. Any advice about removing it? They are pretty sure they are bees as they have seen plenty of wasps, and after being stung he had to remove stingers. I've been told I can dig up the ground as long as I don't do too much damage and I can fill the hole again. But I'm a little worried I would end up with the spade going right in the middle of the hive.

uIJO8n0.jpggPmVxDE.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

100% guarantee it is wasps. I can see the yellow and black on the wasp in the entrance. A cup full of petrol will do the job.

Bees will not nest in the ground.

Bees do not make a nice clean entrance way.

Yip...what Trevor said... :D I would add too that best time to the petrol treatment is around dusk...when most of the beggars are holed up for the night.. :sneaky:

That is what I suspected but they insisted they were bees as they had to pull out stingers..

I'll take a cup of petrol to sort it out :)

Just another wee snippet if I may based on own experience of "Petrol Treatment" for wasps...they can have a back door and come legging it out at you...best get a pipe (or the plastic tube on the end of a petrol can will do) and give it a good ram down...pour petrol...and then plug the hole with a petrol soaked rag to block the hole...and retire PDQ! (y):sneaky:

Just another wee snippet if I may based on own experience of "Petrol Treatment" for wasps...they can have a back door and come legging it out at you...best get a pipe (or the plastic tube on the end of a petrol can will do) and give it a good ram down...pour petrol...and then plug the hole with a petrol soaked rag to block the hole...and retire PDQ! (y):sneaky:

Appreciate the tip

I texted the person back saying they are wasps and the response was "I'm dead certain they aren't wasps ;)"

So I took a look, and of course what I saw were wasps haha

He was certain he had stingers left on his skin after being stung, as far as I know wasps don't leave stingers, any ideas about this one?

• Like 1
I texted the person back saying they are wasps and the response was "I'm dead certain they aren't wasps ;)"

So I took a look, and of course what I saw were wasps haha

He was certain he had stingers left on his skin after being stung, as far as I know wasps don't leave stingers, any ideas about this one?

Tell him that you don't want them and he can keep them himself and start beekeeping.

5 x Bees generally do not sting in the same area.

5 x Bees generally do not sting in the same area.

I know you said generally, but with my first honey extraction I got stung about a dozen times on my foot, giving a quite literal 'big foot' nickname. Felt extremely ill for the next day and a bit.. won't be wearing slippers while doing that again..

Honey bees dont set up hives in the ground, ever, no matter what anyone tries to tell you.

now i'm going to tell you different :P:D

you won't get bees in the ground, but you can get bees in a container in the ground. and yes i have seen one. it was in a water meter box.

Be careful if pouring petrol into a hole in the ground to kill a wasp nest, it is actually illegal!

Please elaborate the illegal bit. Don't reply too quickly. Just dashing out to two I found last week while it's dark and I am unaware of rules.

Please elaborate the illegal bit. Don't reply too quickly. Just dashing out to two I found last week while it's dark and I am unaware of rules.

Back now. Sorry council officer. I just spilled some petrol. However being a good citizen, I have left a rag to soak it up. I even used a piece of plastic to cover it so it does not evaporate and contaminate the atmosphere. I will collect the rag and plastic tomorrow giving the rag a chance to soak it all up.:D

20160125_223401.jpg.cad72b0201ef98e501f717dd2e560e34.jpg

20160125_223401.jpg.cad72b0201ef98e501f717dd2e560e34.jpg

• Like 2