Changing from full-depth to three-quarter boxes

I'm over myself ;)

so, just to confirm.

1 - You recommend cutting through brood?

2 - you recommend cutting down plastic frames?

ever tried doing either of these things? Note, i'm interested in your experience here. I'd just take the easy approach myself, maybe cos i'm lazy..

hey.. if it's good enough for the topbar crowd to convert langstroth frames to topbar dimensions with their 'chop and crop' approach, why shouldn't we?

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My first few I re fixed the bottom bar but (as @M4tt says) it doesn't seem to make any difference to the bees and is a fiddly job so I didn't bother with the rest. I think I posted pics at the time.

You can cut the bottom third straight off . You don’t need to attach the bottom bar again on the plastics ?

Posted Images

Dumped my first of the new season swarms into a brand spanking new ex Dansar japanese 3/4 whatsit box & wax......just have to say what a pleasure it is handling these smaller frames...even if my new russian pine frames are really slippery and...I must stop dropping frames I must stop dropping frames I must stop dropping frames...

• Like 2
Dumped my first of the new season swarms into a brand spanking new ex Dansar japanese 3/4 whatsit box & wax......just have to say what a pleasure it is handling these smaller frames...even if my new russian pine frames are really slippery and...I must stop dropping frames I must stop dropping frames I must stop dropping frames...

Photos please:)

Photos please:)

of you dropping frames;):rofl::rofl:

Its not a nice feeling when you drop a frame, especially in jandals, stubbies and veil. I sort of cringe and stay very still, yet to be stung from dropping a frame.

• 2 years later...

Hi, I have a full depth hive and super leftover from my course. I want to convert them all to 3/4, I have figured out how to cut down the wood frames and reattach the bottom bar with minimal amount of damage using an electric stapler.

But with the plastic frames I am a bit unsure what to do - can I just cut the bottom of the frame off with the band saw or do I need to reattach the bottom bar afterwards?

6 hours ago, Sputnik said:

Hi, I have a full depth hive and super leftover from my course. I want to convert them all to 3/4, I have figured out how to cut down the wood frames and reattach the bottom bar with minimal amount of damage using an electric stapler.

But with the plastic frames I am a bit unsure what to do - can I just cut the bottom of the frame off with the band saw or do I need to reattach the bottom bar afterwards?

You can cut the bottom third straight off . You don’t need to attach the bottom bar again on the plastics ?

• Thanks 1

My first few I re fixed the bottom bar but (as @M4tt says) it doesn't seem to make any difference to the bees and is a fiddly job so I didn't bother with the rest. I think I posted pics at the time.

I have just converted frame feeders to 3/4 as final stage of converting to 3/4 depth, took a while to figure that one out but it works well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1