Epipens - Should it be part of a beekeepers toolkit?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I considered this and decided not to. My reasoning was that an epipen is usually prescribed by a doctor who will have taken into account whether a big shot of adrenaline is safe for the patient given their existing conditions. For some an epipen could be fatal and I won't make that call. Instead I will call 111 and rush anyone with symptoms of anaphylaxis to ED.

I have wavered on whether I should have one in my kit to be administered on advice from a doctor over the phone. But I stuck to my original decision. We're not that far from ED and unlikely to be out of mobile coverage.

Epipens are pretty safe. Would give you a bit of a fast heartbeat if there wasn't anaphylaxis. But if someone in front of you can't breathe an epipen can save them before an ambulance can. I have adrenaline at home, but I know how to use it. Epipen is $150 and only good for 12m.

Should definitely have antihistamine at home, not just the newer non sedating ones, but older type like phenerghan

I do, but that's because my GP prescribed one for me as I'm allergic to 'Antihistimine' .. Go figure!! Haven't had a Bee sting since condition developed so will have to see what happens. You can buy Epipen through online chemist for $120.

@Kerry sounds like you have medical training or at least have experience with administering adrenaline. I have neither. Where would I get training in the correct use of an epipen? Someone not breathing is pretty clear. There are plenty of other signs of anaphylaxis and with them plenty of opportunity to misinterpret what's in the best interests of the patient.

what the effective length of time of the injection?

i can't quite recall it was mentioned in first aid coarse. i think its not very long (10min ??). if you use it straight away patient can go downhill before ambo arrives. ok if ambo is only 10 min away its ok, but its an hour away they are stuffed no matter what you do.

I believe you should have epipen and anti histamines in your kit ,as a minimum in your vehicle.we also have a plb as many of our sites are at least thirty min from cell phone coverage

Not only to keep you alive but also out of jail with the new hse act

I know very little about Epipens. I thought some precaution was required in my beekeeping kit and after reading all of your comments I think I'll go with the antihistamines. A big thank you to those that helped me decide.

I believe you should have epipen and anti histamines in your kit ,as a minimum in your vehicle.we also have a plb as many of our sites are at least thirty min from cell phone coverage

Not only to keep you alive but also out of jail with the new hse act

Yes, it will be interesting what we, as beekeepers, will be required to do under the new act.

As someone who has allergies to nuts I have experience with epi pens however if I have a mild reaction because of tree nut extracts in the food or other reasons I would just use a liquid antihistamine ( you can't swallow pills if your throat is swelling shut). If you are allergic to bees or get stung over 100 times which is highly unlikely you should have a epi pen other than that you are wasting your money.

I have IV adrenaline with syringes and needles, backed up with PHEC first aid training if the antihistamines don't work. Epipen gives you 3 shots each lasting about 10-14 minutes depending on your size and metabolism at @$ $120. Adrenaline and needles cost me $15, the training I already had with 13 years in search and rescue

It looks as if epipen is a single dose only:

http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/profs/datasheet/e/EpiPeninj.pdf

And I carry adrenaline in 1ml ampoules with syringes and needles for IM injection, dose 0.3 ml = 0.3 mg, I am not giving medical advice just informing what I plan to do if another bee keeper has an anaphylaxis reaction.

Try to keep it cool in the car, and replace annually.

I carry one with me all the time.I would administer it if needed.The doctor does not have to prescribe it.Being on Public land it is the onlooker that could get stung.I know Timberland issued epipens to all their workers due to wasps.Under the new act OSHwill make sure beeks carrry them along with eperbs.

Since when. All epipens I have seen are 1 shot wonders. Where do you get them with a triple charge.

I was told they are a 3 shot deal, guess not. Bear in mind that the helicopter might be busy when you set off your PLB so you might not be off to hospital in minutes.

• Like 1
@Kerry sounds like you have medical training or at least have experience with administering adrenaline. I have neither. Where would I get training in the correct use of an epipen? Someone not breathing is pretty clear. There are plenty of other signs of anaphylaxis and with them plenty of opportunity to misinterpret what's in the best interests of the patient.

You could talk to your GP about this and they could give you advice. The chemist could also explain how to use the pen. If not confident I wouldn't recommend it. If anyone in your home has anaphylaxis I think it is very important to have one and know how to use it

I was told they are a 3 shot deal, guess not. Bear in mind that the helicopter might be busy when you set off your PLB so you might not be off to hospital in minutes.

Don't forget that it can take minutes to hours to detect then localize a beacon signal. Most of the Earth's population is in the northern hemisphere so that's where the satellites are concentrated.

I do, but that's because my GP prescribed one for me as I'm allergic to 'Antihistimine' .. Go figure!! Haven't had a Bee sting since condition developed so will have to see what happens. You can buy Epipen through online chemist for $120.

Just wondering have you had a sting yet.and how did your body cope.i must be clumbsy get at least ten even if I just look at a hive

Don't forget that it can take minutes to hours to detect then localize a beacon signal. Most of the Earth's population is in the northern hemisphere so that's where the satellites are concentrated.

The modern epirbs/plb operate on 406mhz and have full global coverage this wasnt the case with the older 121.5 beacons . The plb are data coded so that when they are activated the rescue center gets contact details about the owner and contact person . If you are out of phone range and contact person confirms this or is uncontactable a rescue operation commences .

The 406 system is an enormous advance on the older 121.5