Philbee

Quad nuc detail

Daza asked for some detail on the Quad Nuc base detail from the media section.

I think this pic relates to his query.

Tin lid represents the flat base board.

The red spacer strips are what the box would normally sit on.

The crossways partition is made from two 19mm boards with lug rebates and are stapled back to back.5992eb2d542dc_Quadbox.jpg.cb1ed1dfd01b5736c582bfee4fff1649.jpg

5992eb2d542dc_Quadbox.jpg.cb1ed1dfd01b5736c582bfee4fff1649.jpg

• Like 2

Daza asked for some detail on the Quad Nuc base detail from the media section.

I think this pic relates to his query.

Tin lid represents the flat base board.

The red spacer strips are what the box would normally sit on.

The crossways partition is made from two 19mm boards with lug rebates and are stapled back to back.[ATTACH=full]12086[/ATTACH]

Cheers Phil

Tin dividers in quads are a pain in the proverbial all our quad and triple nucs with tin dividers are only used as a last option. The bees have fun propolising the tin to the walls making it really difficult to remove them.

We have gone to hard board dividers with the rebate wide enough that even with some propolising going on its still easy to slide them in and out.

Tin dividers in quads are a pain in the proverbial all our quad and triple nucs with tin dividers are only used as a last option. The bees have fun propolising the tin to the walls making it really difficult to remove them.

We have gone to hard board dividers with the rebate wide enough that even with some propolising going on its still easy to slide them in and out.

I agree Frazzle

These are not tin dividers but rather a new aluminium/plastic composite board thats about 5mm thick.

One interesting aspect to them is the coating.

One side its just a very thin layer of raw Aluminium and the other side its a grey coating that you cannot draw on with any type of ink pen.

I've alway assumed this feature prevented vandals from griffeting the sign (Signboard).

The result is a partition that can be easily removed after 12 months use because the wax/prop doesn't stick to it.

I know this because Ive used this same material as a partition for over wintering double nucs.

Ive run out of it now so am disappointed that any future partitions will need to be hardboard.

• Like 1

The result is a partition that can be easily removed after 12 months use because the wax/prop doesn't stick to it.

Ohh i like the sound of that :)

Ohh i like the sound of that :)

Trouble is I've run out of the load of free offcuts. (Big Load)

I think its about $100 a sheet to buy new which makes HD hardboard attractive at $50 a sheet.

For the quad nucs I can get 70 of those partitions from a sheet which is enough for 35 boxes which is 140 colonies.

I have used stainless steel sheet before as partitions also but like your tin comment the bees glue it into the slots.

I should just splash out and buy more sign board but where do you draw the line.

I should just splash out and buy more sign board but where do you draw the line.

Just do it & make yourself happy

Ah well what about hitting your local real estate agency up for old corflute then. Chop it to size, spray with silicon spray. Should work a treat to stop propolis. I use silicon spray to stop sh*t splashes sticking to the inside of our composting toilet ss dropper.

For me happiness in beekeeping is driving up to an apiary and seeing bees hanging out of a 6 box stack

Or being unable to heft a hive

Or finding frames of spotless brood that covers the entire frame

Or finding a queen on the second frame

Or finding eggs in a new nuc or split

Or even catching a swarm

Endlessly spending money just doesn't cut it:)

While I totally agree with the above list,

I have also found that paying for a good piece of kit provides satisfaction every time I use it, where as cheep kit often brings frustration and disappointment every time I use it.

This sounds like a good example of knowing when to spend $$$ on the best kit and when to make do.

• Like 3