Foundation falling off

I am a complete newbie and recently purchased my first hive. When I checked it for the first time I noticed that the wax foundation had fallen off the wire on a couple of frames. One has fallen onto the frame next to it and is merging with it, and the bees are working on it. What should I do please?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I unboxed a package of new frames with wax foundation yesterday to use on the hive, but to my surprise nearly all the foundation had fallen off the wire.

I was going to rig up a car battery to melt the foundation with the wire, but instead I used my automotive dent puller (I'm a panelbeater) just turned down the current and rested the earth strap to one side of the frame wire, and put the pulling attachment copper end onto the other side, pressed the trigger a couple of time and presto! Wire now in the foundation.

• Like 4
I unboxed a package of new frames with wax foundation yesterday to use on the hive, but to my surprise nearly all the foundation had fallen off the wire.

I was going to rig up a car battery to melt the foundation with the wire, but instead I used my automotive dent puller (I'm a panelbeater) just turned down the current and rested the earth strap to one side of the frame wire, and put the pulling attachment copper end onto the other side, pressed the trigger a couple of time and presto! Wire now in the foundation.

Love the kiwi ingenuity! I'll try the car battery tho I think.

• Like 1

I've used the car battery.

On my first lot I didn't thread the wax through the wires and didn't apply the current for long enough. As a result I got foundation coming off the wire and curling at the bottom.

On my second batch I did thread the wax, and applied the current till a few sections of the wire came through to the other side (make sure the whole wire doesn't come through or you'll have a number of small sections of foundation). I applied the current for a few one second blasts till I was happy.

Hope this helps.