Passion Vine Hoppers sighted 2015/16

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yip - they arrived here in Swanson/Ranui West Auckland just yesterday. Will be doing last harvest here tomorrow weather permitting.

Not seen any out this neck of the Waitakeres yet... (further out and higher up than Swanui) which is good news...

• Like 1
Yip - they arrived here in Swanson/Ranui West Auckland just yesterday. Will be doing last harvest here tomorrow weather permitting.

Wait for the pedants to jump on me, but tutu honeydew is not particularly high on bees' yummy list. If there's plenty of floral nectar still around......The regulations are drafted by public health officials who work off worst case scenarios. Passion vine hopper populations build from spring to a potentially dangerous level by mid summer. The regulations make no compensation for seasonal or geographical variations. Righto they say, Kaitaia may have a high level of hoppers by the the first week of January so we'll make everyone in the country take their last harvest by 31 December. Meanwhile here in Nelson, there probably won't be a hopper around until February. Last year I didn't see any.

Thanks yesbut. Yes still loads of floral nectar around,,but also within range of Tutu as well....and i work for those nobs who drafted the regulations so i better play ball huh. Last thing i want is to end up like the coromandel sod who ignored the regs & made several people seriously sick a few years back. Chances are slim i know, but for me its not worth the risk with just small home harvests not being blended with others. (and not worth my job given who i work for either).

• Like 2
Thanks yesbut. Yes still loads of floral nectar around,,but also within range of Tutu as well....and i work for those nobs who drafted the regulations so i better play ball huh. Last thing i want is to end up like the coromandel sod who ignored the regs & made several people seriously sick a few years back. Chances are slim i know, but for me its not worth the risk with just small home harvests not being blended with others. (and not worth my job given who i work for either).

It is simple. Take the honey off when you want to, date does not matter. Except after 1 jan then have the honey tested. Simple and not very expensive. I test mine and every year it has been less the 0.02%. If you are concerned - do not take comb honey.

If I only took honey off before 1 Jan then I would not get any honey.

• Like 2
It is simple. Take the honey off when you want to, date does not matter. Except after 1 jan then have the honey tested. Simple and not very expensive. I test mine and every year it has been less the 0.02%. If you are concerned - do not take comb honey.

If I only took honey off before 1 Jan then I would not get any honey.

Where do you get it tested, how long does it take and what is the cost, please?

• Like 1
Where do you get it tested, how long does it take and what is the cost, please?

I had mine tested by Analytica. three of us sent away 3 samples for a composite test. Total cost was $126.50 Therefore cost per individual was $42.17.

I think cost was $90.00 for test then $10.00 for each composite post (maximum 10) (they mix the pots).

So pretty cheap really.

• 4 weeks later...

Some of our bees have been spotted "licking" dahlia leaves. Not in the flowers, the leaves. I can only assume there is honeydew from passionleaf hoppers, or afids, or something.... The ant population has increased, surely due to the availability of the sweet poo....