• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean when I look in my hives there is very little in the way of honey, and little fresh wax.

Crickey.. is thst normal down thete. All my hives that wintered as double brood have got there 3rd honey super on my atum splits have two.and this years spring splis are just getting there 1st supers.dont know if I will bother with spring splits theyve been slow to get going

Most of our hives at home in Hawke's Bay have only kicked into gear these last couple of weeks. Still ramping up so unsure how it will turn out.

Same here on the Kapiti Coast, main honey flow locally just started last week with the warm sunny change.

Hi all, hope all is well.

How are the season yields looking around the country? Northland has gone well by all accounts. How has the clover gone down south? Has the drought taken its toll? Manuka just starting to flower in South Taranaki.

great. i will harvest my rather poor crop and bully in on your turf.

keep in mind that not evryone who reads this forum has honorable intentions.

i have been warned about reckless operators scanning for info like yours.

usually new enterprises. the established ones know anyway what's happening where in the country. just a friendly warning.:)

The wind stopped 2 days before Christmas so things may pick up now we have had a good run of weather.

The bush cabbage tree flowered strongly so I would not want to super up before it finished because it makes.the honey bitter.

Not a great season.

No rata but the white rata vine , metro perforata is covered in buds and that gives a good flow of nice honey.

Lots of Manuka flowering and no hives near them, very different from the north island it sems.

great. i will harvest my rather poor crop and bully in on your turf.

keep in mind that not evryone who reads this forum has honorable intentions.

i have been warned about reckless operators scanning for info like yours.

usually new enterprises. the established ones know anyway what's happening where in the country. just a friendly warning.:)

Didnt think of that.south kaipara pretty much full up .nearly 600 hives on a small peninsula. And thats what I know of.

Didnt think of that.south kaipara pretty much full up .nearly 600 hives on a small peninsula. And thats what I know of.

I bet most of them are around that 30 ha or so of manuka covered land I've seen for sale in the middle of the peninsula...

The wind stopped 2 days before Christmas so things may pick up now we have had a good run of weather.

The bush cabbage tree flowered strongly so I would not want to super up before it finished because it makes.the honey bitter.

Not a great season.

No rata but the white rata vine , metro perforata is covered in buds and that gives a good flow of nice honey.

Lots of Manuka flowering and no hives near them, very different from the north island it sems.

Do not forget for Manuka to yield and for bees to collect nectar everything has to be right.Bees will only collect manuka when nothing else is flowering.Theywill fly over the top to collect other nectar.Why I do not know.The nectar may have something missing or hard for the bee to collect.

Taupo been good with a strong early bush build up and now a good clover crop.

The bush mostly finished but the kanuka is just starting so have left some yards here and there.

Clover is good this year and should benefit from this rain however the ground is still dry 50/60mm beneath the surface.

Another 12 hours of rain would be nice

• Like 1
I bet most of them are around that 30 ha or so of manuka covered land I've seen for sale in the middle of the peninsula...

Its all kanuka on south head .a couple of little pockets of manuka but none bigger than an acre. I thought I had a bit in my hoey last year .so I kept all the darker frammes and harvested them separately. It came back with a mgo of 29 so no good.(thats through revolutionary bee harvester.) But I know the block you mentioned and yes a mongolian has 100 hives around it.i used to cut fire wood as a job during the 80's and 90's tens of tousands of kanuka was cut.and the deaths of two friends.

Tens of thousands of meters were cut.

I also think realestate agents need to learn the difference between manuka and kanuka

Lots of both Manuka and mixed.

My neighbour has sprayed a paddock of Kanuka.

Clover got nailed by the Clover root Weevil in the mid 90s but has recovered

All clover needs is reasonably warm weather and periodic rain.

A drought will burn the flowers off

Lots of both Manuka and mixed.

My neighbour has sprayed a paddock of Kanuka.

Clover got nailed by the Clover root Weevil in the mid 90s but has recovered

All clover needs is reasonably warm weather and periodic rain.

A drought will burn the flowers off

Yeap the clover here is about to go nuts.25ml last week 40mls in the last few days and more rain forecast for Friday . paddocks whitening up big time