Foraging distances

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some say 2km radius others say three for foraging range for bees. I took the lesser of the two and plotted out the range my home hives have. Yep, got all of Putaruru covered(y):whistle::bee:

[ATTACH=full]11996[/ATTACH]

Will they come home tank empty should they shop that far a distance.

I've seen bees forage to about 5km in the UK under very high air pressure and high temp to get Ling, and when I had an apiary in pirongia village I had bees bring back rewarewa and tawri - the bush is about 4.5km from town

Our closest to tou would cover 1/3 of Putaruru @ 2km, your place looksto be just on the 3km mark

• Like 1

In the past Hives I have moved out to my work site from home, which are within the circle, I have had hundreds of foragers return. So it definately shows some truth in the foraging range and their geo location systems working well.

Doing this on google maps is a really interesting way to see how apiaries can overlap and what forage range they have. I just do the distance measure then "ctrl c" and paste it into "paint" and cut the section out I want to use, cut and paste that in a new paint page then add the circle for the forage range.

• Like 1

Go onto hivetracks - you can do it without any hives - just add your sites without hives for free if you want (i do subscribe) and add in you apiaries, go to map/satellite and it shows rings out from apiaries at differing distances. Like Dansar said, its an interesting visual visit and the overlaps have been an interesting exercise. I've looked at the gaps and thought about those areas as potential sites.

I have read in Scotland they tracked bees for 12 km from the hive. Cannot recall reference just now.

But MPI and the Food Safety Authority has been dealing with this issue for sometime with the Tutin in Honey Standard.

The Food (Tutin in Honey) Standard 2008, section 13 (b) demonstrate that tutu is not significantly present within a 3 kilometre radius of those geographical locations. ( of apiary sites).

This was revised by MPI in the Food (Tutin in Honey) Standard 2010, to read section 10 (b) demonstrate that tutu is not significantly present within the predictable range of bee foraging from those geographical locations. (of apiary sites).

So even MPI has some difficulty of determining foraging distance from the hive for bees.

My best guess is that bees will travel to get food, and that distance depends on food source unavailability closer to the hive.

• Like 1

I have seen bees get a crop of rewa rewa from 5 mile away. That is miles not kilometres. The Apiarys that were closer definitely did better. I remember one drought season when a large thunderstorm went through an area I had bees. Any hives within 2 miles of the thunderstorms path did a good crop despite sitting amongst apparent desert. Anything further away did what you would expect in those conditions.

• Like 1