dansar

Commercial Honey Extraction vs Revoluntionary Beekeeping System

My relief posty isn't so keen on the system , but it will be back to ops normal next week when our posty returns from holiday

• Like 1

My relief posty isn't so keen on the system , but it will be back to ops normal next week when our posty returns from holiday

My relief posty was the same last year.so I delivered the pails to the post shop my self.i couldnt expect a elderly woman to lift 30 pails into the van.could of been the end of her.

• Like 2

Have been doing a bit of reading of old threads on the revolutionary bee keeping its quite an interesting concept. I see it has a few seasons under its belt now and was wondering whether anyone using it or something similar (stripping comb right back) has done any comparisons with how it yeilds? Has anyone done say an apairy of similar strength hives half conventionally extracted and half "revolutuonary" for a season and seen any yeild difference? Interested if the wax factor during the flow is as important as perceived? Know doubt in spring build up drawn combs give a noticeable head start to a hive. But with the old 7:1 honey to wax would taking the comb right back not be wildly inefficient? say 1kg of wax to draw a super each time means less 7kgs honey after each harvest? Which is a bit of honey at the end of the season.

I stripped 30 hives for a 38kg average crop yield. For the situation it is

a good compromise option, conventional extracting from this site has significant logistics issues.

@Shaun thats a decent haul, so I'm guessing you wouldn't have expected much more if you could have extracted conventionally? Just out of intrest how'd you process the wax/honey? Auger and spin float? Settle, strain and wax press?

@Shaun thats a decent haul, so I'm guessing you wouldn't have expected much more if you could have extracted conventionally? Just out of intrest how'd you process the wax/honey? Auger and spin float? Settle, strain and wax press?

Strain and settle first, then Auger the wax concentrate.

My understanding is that loss of wax comb will cost me about 8% honey yield per year, while significant it is much less than the logistic difficulties of conventional extraction.

I haven't read the patent claims for the Revolutionary system but doubt very much that they relate to much more than their machine on the bucket.

The process of extracting in the field is an exciting one and one that I intend to explore in the future.

There are a number of ways that honey can removed from the comb and put in buckets while in the field.

Id say that the most difficult part of stetting up this type of system would be the RMP.

However Revolutionary have set a precedent here so barring a disaster on their part it should remain doable.

• Like 1

@Shaun after the auger how were you separating? Into the spin float? Cappings spinner?

@Shaun after the auger how were you separating? Into the spin float? Cappings spinner?

The Auger is a wax press and honey separator. The final compressed wax from the auger press is about 40 wax 30 dross and 30 honey by weight. I melt it down and ladle the floating wax into molds, then I allow the leftover to cool before tipping the honey through a sieve and I compost the balance.