dansar

Commercial Honey Extraction vs Revoluntionary Beekeeping System

Looking at the 2014 NZ Apiculture report one could expect $8-9/kg for amber to dark honey (or better).

Has any one done the analyses between taking to commercial extraction plant to extract then on sell your honey to a buyer vs the Revolutionary Beekeeping System and their pricing structure?

At the moment I just cant get my head around what could potentially be a $10k+ difference in profit even with some extra leg work to take boxes to extraction and on-sell.

got to watch some of the extract and buy crowds. heard of a few ripping people off.

biggest problem with commercial extraction is having enough boxes to extract. ie be above their minimum requirements.

I guess finding a commercial plant that will extract your honey would be a bonus, then work out pricing from there..and you should get back frames ready for queens to lay in for your nucs.

Revolutionary leave you with bear frames that need to be drawn out again and I haven't seen that they pay for wax..

Anyway I'm sure you'll find what will work best for you :)

Revolutionary leave you with bear frames that need to be drawn out again and I haven't seen that they pay for wax..

NO no no no no don't say anything yesbut

• Like 1

Good self control there @yesbut ! We are supplying Revolutionary beekeeping this year and so far the system has worked ok for us . For honey outside of manuka/kanuka the price paid is inclusive of the wax , so yes we do get paid for the wax as well . Not sure how they compare with extraction as this is our first year , but the convenience is a big factor for us . As soon as a few frames are capped we can extract them without waiting for the full super to be ready . We are running fd supers so if we decide to expand we can split the hives later on and convert the honey supers to brood boxes , and go with new honey supers in the spring . No need to store wet supers etc .

• Like 2

@dansar are you saying you'd make 10K more with the new system, or regular extraction?
  • Like 1

I reckon I would be 10k better off with extraction vs Revolutionary Beekeeping. I will have 120+ boxes to extract.

Maybe someone can do the math on that.

• Like 1

It looks like he's relying on the convenience factor for small parties, who'd rather say come and get this, deal with the hassle and just give me some pocket money. Looks to be ridiculously expensive and in terms of the rate paid, it is also very low. Might be ok for a small hobbyist with a few boxes or an older retiree who struggles to extract a small number of boxes, but nothing substantial.

You'll probably find the viability cut off is a max of 20 boxes or so, which makes for an interesting niche.

NO no no no no don't say anything yesbut

Welcome to my world (I'm a subeditor).

• Like 1

Good question @dansar . I'm trying to work out the cost as well.

Spoke to manuka health the other day. $12-$13 a box to extract. $17-18 if it's manuka. $80 a drum to put it in .

No mention of what they pay . There extraction plant should be up and running February some time.

Maybe @Love Honey could enlighten us on what the market buy price is looking like this season for the various honey categories.

• Like 1

There is a few pluses that no one has mentioned.....

Only need one super box per hive, extract as ready

Paid the next month

No lifting of bloody heavy supers needed.

Honey can be harvested for smaller mono floral flows - although this doesn't work as all honey extracted through the harvester has to Go to revolutionary beekeeping - and there is no payment difference for honeys other than manuka/kanuka & everything else :eek:.

Honey can be picked up by courier at the door.

Does this make up for the very low price, and what is the worth of these above points - each person needs to decide for themselves...............

Last season was a late flow in the Waikato and came on hard and fast, the bees didnt cap anything just kept it coming in as I added boxes and I know beek in Katikati had the same problem as I made up 100 extra supers for him. so what happens in that case, do you still extract and RBS dehydrates the honey?

This was Feb this year and none of it was capped and all started from bare foundation, under supered.

5992eb27c4c28_Me_langstrothFeb_2015.jpg.2b684f34a057f904b3ff38a3adb0baef.jpg

5992eb27c4c28_Me_langstrothFeb_2015.jpg.2b684f34a057f904b3ff38a3adb0baef.jpg

• Like 1

ouch - better ask Grant :cautious:. I'd be worried about it turning the square buckets round by the time it got to kerikeri.

experience level to low ..... :unsure:

• Like 1

ouch - better ask Grant :cautious:. I'd be worried about it turning the square buckets round by the time it got to kerikeri.

experience level to low ..... :unsure:

Maybe a mead plant is in order?....

• Like 2

Thats one of the issues I'm pondering myself . So far this season , the bees have a good week or two and thats been followed by the same amount of windy cool weather , so no sustained flow here yet . If we have a few weeks of good weather now , my concern with only one honey super is that they may start packing out the brood box before the frames are sufficiently capped so we can harvest . One thing I have noticed though is that if I harvest four or five frames the bees will fill and cap the partially filled frames while they are redrawing and filling the scraped frames . I think its just a case of harvesting little and often so the bees always have space to work .

I'd be worried about it turning the square buckets round by the time it got to kerikeri.

its quite slow to ferment so no drama there. its more of an issue later on.

its quite slow to ferment so no drama there. its more of an issue later on.

Drums popping their tops?

Drums popping their tops?

o yeah, they bulge like crazy. tho takes a lot before one blows.

Honey can be harvested for smaller mono floral flows - although this doesn't work as all honey extracted through the harvester has to Go to revolutionary beekeeping

Are you sure about that? I understood it is your choice to sell it back to Grant or keep it. The price they pay per kilo is including the wax, you fill up a bucket pretty quickly. Just have to remember that the harvester only works with plastic frames or plastic inserts @dansar .

I understood it is your choice to sell it back to Grant or keep it.

You make keep enough for your requirements but all the rest MUST go to Revolutionary Beekeeping

market buy price is looking like this season for the various honey categories.

Talking to my buyer the other day when I picked up my packed honey,

Would appear price for multifloral will be around $10 ish but the price hasn't been set yet

Wouldn't the revolutionary system - particularly those who bought the gadget last year not also eliminate the potential of cross contamination of equipment within the extraction plant - most plants have a hot room that supers are stored in overnight, prior to extraction. With so many new semi-commercials who have not worked and been trained by an established beek, surely that would be an advantage?

I took my 12 yr old daughter with me to do the latest harvest . I did one frame to show her how to do it and she did the rest no worries . Thats the beauty of this system . There is still a 20 kg bucket to handle , but its way more manageable than full supers . I'm seated in my deck chair pulling the full frames and shaking off the bees , then I pass the frame across to my able assistant operating the harvestor , and by the time they have scraped the frame , I've got another one ready to go ! Have the prado right by the harvester with the back end lined , and its a straight lift into the back , no carrying over any distance . Obviously we are small fry , so we will need to improve our system if we get bigger , but so far it has worked really well for us .