marking my new hive with my Reg number

I now have my new hive and my registration number. Do I mark all my deeps and supers on the same hive with my registration number or only one box? I notice in some NZ videos that some hives dont appear to be marked at all and in others, frames appear to have been marked as well. Is that required or good practice? Thanks for your help.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My apiary is in my garden, so I made as apiary sign with brass letter-box numbers. One beek told me it was the "flashest damn rego sign [he'd] ever seen".

@Trevor Gillbanks Here you go .. Getting better at it!

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
Great. remember, less paint is best and lightly pat the surplus paint off the stencil with a paper towel after 2 or 3 sprays. This helps keep the stencil open.

Yes less is best and watch over spray !! I got the second attempt looking better!! Really stoked with the result !!! Thanks Trev's wife!!!

Well done. Top 2 boxes you used too much spray, Bottom box is perfect.

Remember to dab the stencil clean with a handy towel.

Yes was getting the hang of by the time I got to the bottom.. That's why I said less is best !!

But still pleased with the overall effect.. If I were OCD inclined I should have had them all in a straight line.

I'll try that on my next set of Hive boxes I'm just putting together.

• Like 1
That is the only reason I made my comments. Spray painting is another skill level to learn.

You're right there!! I would be a hopeless graffiti artist... Would have the tell tale signs all over my hands while trying to declare my innocence..

And then when you think you are getting on top, a repair job is needed on my bee suit hood. I discovered slits in the face section yesterday. I did a temporary tape fix, so I could use it and have some left over black insect cloth for the repair. It's even more of an issue now as I've removed the face section to get a pattern for the insert piece.Sew, sew, sew

• Like 1

Progress...I now have spray paint. Oh the decisions Matt or Glossy. That stencil is going to be less pristine soon

The hood is now repaired. I'm not about to change my day job. Is there a variety of quality with protective gear?

Old story, get what you pay for? My repaired modified version, is certainly a super seeder.

Still not sure how the damage happened.

I think the netting may have come into contact with a sharp hive tool. Accidentally of course.

• 5 months later...
Hi.

I have my first four hives :).

I am looking for a branding iron. To burn the number onto the boxes.

Does anybody know who sells it.

Thanks.

Hi @Beat welcome to the forum. It really depends on how many things you want to brand and much you want to spend. Beequip had a nice electric one at conference but it will be priced around $500. There are a few that advertise propane ones on eBay for similar money. Or if you have shallow pockets, like me, you can butcher a piece of steel bar and weld on a handle.