Nectar and Pollen sources in March

Hi all

What are the common nectar and pollen sources at the moment. I have Ivy flowering on our fence which the hover flies and wasps seem keen on but not the bees so much. Borage is a favourate in my garden (the only flower:)) at the moment.

The bees in my Framed Warre are bring in heaps of pollen - orange, yellow and white. In the TBH not so much pollen so it must be nectar, but who knows what it is likely to be??

• Like 1
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hoheria is not a major honey producer but it is important as it is one of the last of the Bush flows and a very good source of pollen. Koromiko is also worked very freely by bees but can occasionally lead to some brood mortality. Catsear is the normal source of orange pollen at this time of year with cream pollen coming from Scotch Thistle and purple pollen coming from nodding Thistle. Ivy is extremely attractive to bees as well as wasps and is an important honey source in Ireland . A friend of mine with a hive Napier produced a surplus last year, it had a unique but unfortunately not very palatable flavour. Pennyroyal does produce a surplus in some areas, not one of my favourite honeys but there is bound to be some people like it.

In Hawke's Bay anyway any honey produced in March and April is a bonus and is normally left on the hives for them to winter on. Good stores of high-quality pollen are probably more important at this time of year and if they are a bit short it sometimes pays to feed some sugar which will encourage them to collect pollen.

• Like 1

Heaps of pollen coming in to my warre hive, honey of some sort coming in to the TBH although in small qauntities - I will have to feed this one up if it is to make it through winter. With the wet weeks we have had they consume what is being collected on the fine days.

• Like 1

Poor bees in the Waitakeres....again!!! It is raining cats and dogs and for tonight the forecast is for 20mm of rain!:eek:

Nectar and Pollen will be washed out and there won't be much to collect.

2 of my hives have been robbed blind last week. There is still plenty of pollen in there, but all the stores of honey are gone.

Nightshade is/was in flower and our Kophai Trees are in flower...yup, the weather has gone crazy!

we have just had 100 millimetres in the 24 hour period and more forecast tonight. I would expect pollen to start up again in a few days but after that much rain barring miracles the nectar flow is over for the season .is that woolly nightshade you are talking about, its a class A noxious weed in Hawke's Bay so we never see it. Does it produce honey pollen or both.

we have just had 100 millimetres in the 24 hour period and more forecast tonight. I would expect pollen to start up again in a few days but after that much rain barring miracles the nectar flow is over for the season .is that woolly nightshade you are talking about, its a class A noxious weed in Hawke's Bay so we never see it. Does it produce honey pollen or both.

Don't have woolly but Black Nightshade. Probably the same. Produces Nectar and a wee bit of white pollen.

And at the moment it is pi**ing down with rain.

Between the rain and gloom we have had our bees going nuts over the succulant "Cedam" (or Cedem) it has lots of lovely large pink flowers packed with nectar and as one friend says because it is a later flowering garden plant it is a reminder that summer is almost finished - the bees just love it with most flower heads having perhaps up to a dozen bees feeding. - always nice this time of year when other things are in decline. We have being growning seedlings as it is such a great late summer nectar source.

The other plant we have flowering is a (very unusual) one in 20 year flowering of a large verigated Alovera plant ( another large succulant 1 x flower only plant ) it means the end of the large cacti looking plant - but it has sent a 6 meter high flower up on a thick stem - it has a rash of yellow protruding flowers from each large finger or branch - again bees are just going nuts - with the air full of bees as they hover around the flower (Hope they dont expect the same next year).

IMG_4714c.jpg.4c8fbb07f879144f3f715ae5ea025045.jpg