Council powerless over beehives

Here's a new one...

Council powerless over beehives

Bulk of the article is about local council not receiving rates from Maori land that is considered unproductive - but beehives are being placed on said land (therefore making it productive) and council is still not receiving rates.

Beehives are not a permanent fixture like a dwelling, so currently can't be valued for rating purposes. Potentially, if the hives were permanent, they could be?

But perhaps more interesting is the following quote;

"The Valuer General had said a review of rating valuation rules was coming up and there was consideration that manuka trees could be valued in the same way as apple or citrus trees."

Hmmm....how to convince a farmer to allow my hives on his land for free, when he is being charged rates dependent on the value of his manuka covered hill country...

• Like 1
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"The Valuer General had said a review of rating valuation rules was coming up and there was consideration that manuka trees could be valued in the same way as apple or citrus trees."

Bring it on! It may simply be in response to the planting of manuka as a nectar crop; but is in effect saying that all nectar is property.

---------------------------------------------

Mirrors on the hive mats

Seems strange to me that anyone would get a relief from rates, no matter the status of their land.
I recall in the far north, the ownership of some Maori land was so complex the council decided it was easier to just forget about trying to collect rates, and they did. kind of fair cos the owners weren't making any money.

We would also have a situation where the landowners see a chance to screw the beekeeper, then in turn the council see a chance to screw the landowner. If this happened, at the end of the day it would be the beekeeper funding the whole lolly scramble, better council butted out. If the landowner making money but not getting screwed by the council at least he is glad to see the beekeeper, plus not be in a position to have to force money from the beekeeper just so he can pay rates.

• Like 1
I recall in the far north, the ownership of some Maori land was so complex the council decided it was easier to just forget about trying to collect rates, and they did. kind of fair cos the owners weren't making any money.

We would also have a situation where the landowners see a chance to screw the beekeeper, then in turn the council see a chance to screw the landowner. If this happened, at the end of the day it would be the beekeeper funding the whole lolly scramble, better council butted out. If the landowner making money but not getting screwed by the council at least he is glad to see the beekeeper, plus not be in a position to have to force money from the beekeeper just so he can pay rates.

Makes a lot of sense to me. My rates bill seems excessive for the services I get in return. Good luck to those that don't get charging orders against their property when not paying them, and if businesses have reduced costs in the process - all the better.