2 minutes ago, ChrisM said:

just buy two of these trucks and then the second one can pull out the first one..

I can just imagine that.... Two stuck trucks!  From experience, do not get stuck. These trucks and a bit of load are heavy and difficult to extract in a bad situation. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got a new bee truck today. 1929 Willys Overland Whippet.

It’s a very long time since I had a Ute . Now I have one again . I love it 

Got truck and just waiting for sign writing 

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

I can just imagine that.... Two stuck trucks!  From experience, do not get stuck. These trucks and a bit of load are heavy and difficult to extract in a bad situation. 

ah yes, sorry, was just my poor attempt at some humour.. 

• Like 1

Don't get stuck, easier said than done! Sometimes you got to get the job done and if the odds are 99% in your favour you take a risk and it works out, but do it often enough and there's that time it does not work out. 

With a 2WD like that in the North, me, during risk times of the year I'd have a very grunty winch properly attached, and carry a spade, plus some pulleys, shackles and strops. 

That's cos there's nothing quite messes up your day, and your mind, like getting stuck miles from anywhere, with no phone reception, with a load of bees or honey on, in a 2WD that just doesn't give you any options. Don't ask me how I know that. 🙄

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

You might be looking for a cradle to lift those pallets Maru .....   I have a spare aluminium  one if needed.

When we first stated with cranes an 'old' beekeeper told me to make one out of mild steel.

So we did.

I curse and swear every time I use it. It weighs half a tonne and is hell bent on killing me.

• Haha 3
10 hours ago, Alastair said:

Only suggestion I would have is a winch plus other extraction gear, you are going to get that puppy stuck at some point. 

That's what the yellow bit on the back is for😉

6 minutes ago, Alastair said:

LOL Jamo, didn't know it can do that!

There's almost no limit to what you can do, or at least try to do with a crane. May not always work out well.

Edited by Jamo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
22 hours ago, jamesc said:

You might be looking for a cradle to lift those pallets Maru .....   I have a spare aluminium  one if needed.

When we first stated with cranes an 'old' beekeeper told me to make one out of mild steel.

So we did.

I curse and swear every time I use it. It weighs half a tonne and is hell bent on killing me.

I ended up buying a steel cradle with the truck and it is heavy az, any pics of your aluminium one?

23 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

I ended up buying a steel cradle with the truck and it is heavy az, any pics of your aluminium one?

Here ya go. The driving bar that carrys the remote.. needs welding back on.... little bit of twist in the forks....

I was surprised at how light it was when I hefted it onto the truck deck...

mustav been all the porridge sweetened with Honey Dew for breakie.

C2543BA4-E4B5-4F12-A2E3-74B2E73086F6.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • 1 month later...

My new bee truck, first try out today and it went well, can't carry many boxes but it's cool to drive and I get a few looks from the fairer sex, but I'm told they are looking at the car, not me. 

IMG_6389 (4).JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

It's a long time since of shifted any hives using a cradle but I have done many thousands and one thing I found very useful was to get some bobbles of weld along the top surface of both forks. It didn't happen very often but every now and again a hive would slip forward slightly off the forks which would create a wobble effect leading to more slippage and the whole pallet on the ground. I  was with my father once when he was showing a kiwifruit grower how the new hoist system worked and next thing the whole pallet was upside down on its lid. Never had any trouble with single hives. I have used both forklifts and hoists and they both have advantages but  for safety I would go with the forklift every time. We used to have easy loaders and I have had some very near misses when things broke and the pallet of hives came crashing down.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1
  • 1 month later...