Alastair

Show Your Truck

Posted (edited)

The Govt has supposedly released a list of every vehicle make in NZ, ranked from top to bottom in Co2 emissions. But i can't find it, anyone know where it is?

Edited by Alastair

2 hours ago, Alastair said:

The Govt has supposedly released a list of every vehicle make in NZ, ranked from top to bottom in Co2 emissions. But i can't find it, anyone know where it is?

https://i.stuff.co.nz/motoring/113716572/the-cleanest-and-dirtiest-car-brands-in-new-zealand

Maybe this? 

That tells you some main brands and the best and the worst, but according to TV1 news last night there is a ranked list of every vehicle type in NZ. I would be interested to see where mine sits.

4 hours ago, Alastair said:

i have not heard of any list.

all i will say is its the dumbest idea in history and it will not actually reduce emissions.

for ever EV or low emission car sold, there will be hundreds, if not thounsands, of people hanging on to their old polluting car, instead of upgrading to a lesser polluting car as they would have normally done.

There's sure to be logic there but I cannot see it.

34 minutes ago, yesbut said:

There's sure to be logic there but I cannot see it.

the govt doesn't use logic.

No, I meant YOUR logic .

• Haha 3

We have power cuts already and often.  What's going to happen when everyone has an electric car to charge!

22 minutes ago, yesbut said:

No, I meant YOUR logic .

i thought that was pretty simple.

most of the emissions is simply down to our rather old car fleet. its not because a few people have big v8 suv's or a few have EV's. you need to look at the whole picture. its the 100,000's of old cars. most of them are owned by people who cannot afford late model cars that have lower emmsions. 

this new tax increases the price to replace those cars. so people will simply hold onto to those old cars.

also many poor families buy a big people movers and have one car between 10 people. there is still 90's vans being imported which they love to buy. they love them, cheap and simple to fix. but they are not good on emisions so they will be heavly taxed (would have to check might be 30%+).

so the people who cannot afford better low emision cars get taxed, so those who can afford lower emmision cars get a cheaper car. sounds fair ! !

add to that, because the tax increases the price for the cars that they could have bought, they simply hang onto their old higher polluting car for even longer.

if someone can afford a 28k EV, they can afford a 30k EV.

they are giving the discount to the wrong people.

if you want to lower emisions then pay people to get rid of their older cars, not tax them so they have to keep them. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

59 minutes ago, tristan said:

the govt doesn't use logic.

you are right there, look at the gun buy back ####,

31 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

We have power cuts already and often.  What's going to happen when everyone has an electric car to charge!

not only electric cars, next the open and log burners will go and we will all have too have a heat pump ete, where is all this power going to come from, ?

• Agree 1

The gun buy back is outrageous.  It is pandering to illegal trade.

Log burners - well there is no way they can do away with them here.  We haven't had snow for a couple of years, but when we do we have power cuts for a day or so.  10 km away from me, one time, people were without power for three weeks!  A heat pump does not cut the mustard in minus 6, and this is only a mid canty frost I am referring to. 

Could someone explain to me please how the gun buy back is going to be bad for the country ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

Log burners - well there is no way they can do away with them here.  We haven't had snow for a couple of years, but when we do we have power cuts for a day or so.  10 km away from me, one time, people were without power for three weeks!  A heat pump does not cut the mustard in minus 6, and this is only a mid canty frost I am referring to. 

yer i was in Ashburton at the time of those big snows

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Could someone explain to me please how the gun buy back is going to be bad for the country ?

don't get me started i will be here all night !

short version, its a massive waste of money that could actually be used to save lives. it does nothing except rip off kiwis.

the stupid part of it is they have even banned many of the older rimfire rifles, including bolt action and lever action. firearms that no mass murderer would want to use. a lot of those rifles are owned by the older generations. these are the rifles that grandad used to tech grandkids how to hunt and shoot. 

• Like 3

Oh - I forgot - Six years ago a 150 year old flood.  I was the only person in a row of six that did not get their house flooded, cos I was 3 mm higher than the neighbours.  No power then, and definitely no dunny. 

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, kevin moore said:

next the open and log burners will go and we will all have too have a heat pump ete,

it would be good to get rid of open fires. but log burners are critical to life in many aeras.

i remember a big snow storm went through taupo that took out the power for several weeks. people could not get lpg because gas stations don't work.

if you live in snow country you must have a fireplace.

Edited by tristan
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Not  a fireplace, a log burner.  (can't get my beekeeping skills around out this tabulation thing)

Edited by Trevor Gillbanks

Posted (edited)

Log burners would have to be the most efficient way to heat a home , even with the meagre amount of petrol , taken into account , to saw it with a sharp chain saw . 

It is the ultimate in recycling and so long as the supply is managed sustainably , I can’t see a problem . It’s completely off grid , a beautiful warmth and if you cook on your burner , then  so much the better . 

Ours all comes from my ever increasing farm tree plantings , mostly from storm damaged branches or fallen trees , so they were getting recycled back to nature which ever way you look at it . 

Edited by M4tt
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

I agree Matt.  The wood burned is dry.  Then there are things that you don't need a chainsaw to cut - pine cones, old wooden bee frames, kindling, dry rot in old honey supers

• Like 1

On 10/07/2019 at 7:27 PM, Maggie James said:

i see on the news the idiocy continues with police making up their own laws.

pump action rifles are not banned. you can legally buy an AR pump action. but they seam to think you cannot convert a semi into a pump action even tho there is nothing in the law to say you can't.

they want to pay thousands of $$ buying back the semi so you can go buy a new pump action, so they don't have to spend a few hundred converting it into a legal rifle. 

this govt is mentally retarded. they need to use their "wellbeing" services. 

• Agree 3

New WOF today straight through woohoo!!

Rather pleased that my little el cheapy indian, after 5 years and 118,000 km's of overloading, rough riding, and abuse at my hands, has never missed or been stopped on anything, at a WOF check. 🙂

Just checked their site, right now a brand new one of these 4x4's can be bought for a base price of $22,600.00

https://www.mahindra.co.nz/pik-up-single-cab-4x4-s6/

• Like 4
  • Good Info 3

Rear diff lock as standard too on the Mahindra. Beauty

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Alastair said:

New WOF today straight through woohoo!!

Rather pleased that my little el cheapy indian, after 5 years and 118,000 km's of overloading, rough riding, and abuse at my hands, has never missed or been stopped on anything, at a WOF check. 🙂

Just checked their site, right now a brand new one of these 4x4's can be bought for a base price of $22,600.00

https://www.mahindra.co.nz/pik-up-single-cab-4x4-s6/

thats good, i saw the first one i ever seen in Blenhiem a bout 3 weeks ago, thought it looked quite cool

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harlan Cox said:

Rear diff lock as standard too on the Mahindra. Beauty

its not really a true diff lock. it basicly engages a tight lsd.