Alastair

Show Your Truck

@Barry take the chains off, the winter is over. :lol

Just joking, you must have some sandy terrain at your sites.

Can you clarify the two different uses you mention please (for those of us that just think a crane lifts stuff).

Mostly I use mine for lifting palletised hives for chasing different honeys or pollination, but I work the hives by hand.

If anyone is interested, lifting capacity of my crane at different reach as follows;

1.10m 990kg

1.98m 540kg

2.85m 370kg

3.73m 250kg

Can struggle with pallet of hives that are double or triple box and contain honey, at full stretch. In the few cases I've had that happen, I shift the ute between lifts. Not ideal, but also doesn't happen often.

Sure

One use is as you describe, lifting hives or pallets on or off the truck.

The other use is when you use an Ezi lift type crane (There are a few different models out there) to move boxes around in an Apiary.

These cranes have no mechanical slew and will follow the operators movements anywhere within their full radius.

They are a quick, easy, simple crane that will save a worker from lifting injuries.

The Hiab type crane is nowhere near as agile as the Ezi lift generic type.

The advantage that the traditional generic type Hiab has is it can lift heavier loads overall.

• Like 1

I think the second use may be removing honey boxes, i.e. working a hive in place. Looking forward to @Philbee 's reply.

Not just removing honey boxes but any lifting of a box for any reason

Brood checks for example

That was a seriously cool video @Philbee , when I see stuff like that I'm struck again by how lucky we are to live in this day and age.

One thing I've found over the last few months is how hard it is to find out how commercials operate in NZ. Threads like this one a great insight.

big enough but small enough for just me ...4wd 2.4l 1.5 tonne payload IMG_20151207_144002.jpg.68f2152c1f358c3260efffa6d187a0c1.jpg

IMG_20151207_144002.jpg.68f2152c1f358c3260efffa6d187a0c1.jpg

• Like 7

big enough but small enough for just me ...4wd 2.4l 1.5 tonne payload [ATTACH=full]11581[/ATTACH]

Nice unit

tmp_7863-20151106_134153-1820621787.jpg.cffef27906877039c3301793a543eb7c.jpg Here are my work utes, I have a 125kg manual level ezyloader on the white ute, it's fantastic! I tow a kea 2m x 3.6m trailer and the loader reaches back to the fourth row when loading hives, I just have to slide the back two rows when loading by myself.

tmp_7863-20150830_1719001607553421.jpg.1f7e088b81b7e0908e25bc649e316c7a.jpg

tmp_7863-20150830_1719001607553421.jpg.1f7e088b81b7e0908e25bc649e316c7a.jpg

tmp_7863-20151106_134153-1820621787.jpg.cffef27906877039c3301793a543eb7c.jpg

• Like 7

I notice no one has mentioned helicopters for moving hives.

Is that because this is a truck thread

Yep. You need the thread Show us your chopper :x3:

@Harlan Cox , they look like a very useful piece of equipment.

I wonder however if you may need to change your set up to use a 125 KG one. Presumably you couldn't run pallets with 4 hives at that rating?

Yes the ezyloader is only used for lifting single hives, which is how i run mine. Those pallets are honey drip pallets, just used for transporting honey supers

• Like 1

@Harlan Cox , they look like a very useful piece of equipment.

I wonder however if you may need to change your set up to use a 125 KG one. Presumably you couldn't run pallets with 4 hives at that rating?

The point could be made here that very few people have ever been injured lifting 4 hive pallets.

Whereas many suffer back injuries from lifting single boxes.

Our workhorse team consists of Olly, Dolly, Lofty and Chief.

You and Kev would make a great Bob and Wendy, with Dizzy the extractor and Scrufty the mastif pup.

• Like 1

Ok Charles, you win.

Must be a bit tricky getting down the back farm track and across the stream to the apiary though :thumbdown:

@Charles looking good. nice and easy when you can lock the bees in (y)

Ok Charles, you win.

Must be a bit tricky getting down the back farm track and across the stream to the apiary though :thumbdown:

that's what the choppers are for ;)

At the other end of the scale is when I was running my own ~20-25 hives in the UK out of one of these:

SEAT Ibiza - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

280px-Seat_Ibiza_2_front_20071004.jpg

[ATTACH=full]11622[/ATTACH]

There were a fair bunch of hives down ngutunui way in a paddock yesterday with a loader like that. Yours waiting for the chopper?

[doublepost=1449733091,1449732998][/doublepost]And more lilac coloured Comvita hives than ive ever seen towards Wanganui

There were a fair bunch of hives down ngutunui way in a paddock yesterday with a loader like that. Yours waiting for the chopper?

[doublepost=1449733091,1449732998][/doublepost]And more lilac coloured Comvita hives than ive ever seen towards Wanganui

Out Ngutunui will be manuka health's dumpsite.

Yeah Carlos has a lot of sites on SH4

Forks still need some work but nothing a few hours wont fix

• Like 1

[ATTACH=full]11440[/ATTACH] Crane used to lift honey boxes[ATTACH=full]11439[/ATTACH] moving hives

The Hiab must make it easy!!

Forks still need some work but nothing a few hours wont fix

You need to change the sharing settings on this video. At the moment YouTube says it's private and it won't play.

You need to change the sharing settings on this video. At the moment YouTube says it's private and it won't play.

How come you know all this stuff Rob:)