Alastair

Show Your Truck

On 23/11/2018 at 8:07 AM, Philbee said:

Lol

No, I advertised but had no takers so took it that there was no market for them.

Oh well,il see how I get on over the next couple of seasons and then revisit that option,I like the idea of their wide ranging lift capacity.

On 23/11/2018 at 5:12 AM, Phil46 said:

Howzit mate,long time no see or hear...was just wondering how the trailer was going??

All good here thanks, trailer works well just suffering from lack of use. The lifter works really well the power feed to the winch needs to be heavier duty other than that it's good.

On 25/11/2018 at 3:58 PM, Phil46 said:

Oh well,il see how I get on over the next couple of seasons and then revisit that option,I like the idea of their wide ranging lift capacity.

A crane will easily out lift most trailers tipping point so IMO a really good crane/ trailer combo needs to be based on a trailer that weighs 700kg for the trailer and 300kg for the crane

This will provide a platform for a unit capable of lifting around 100kg at 5m give or take, when the trailer is empty.

My new truck likes taking out thing 

a month ago my brother was driving and took out a cow on SH 1 with the front corner of the deck truck 1 / cow dead 

my worker was driveing home form our Shed in town where we store our super and a car pull out in front of the truck the worker try to get around it but the car hit the back wheel 

my worker only had her class two license for just over a week 

IMG_6084.JPG

IMG_6085.JPG

Edited by Chris Valentine
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Life can only get better eh .....

7 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Life can only get better eh .....

Hopefully not. Mine's about as good as I can stand it now !

• Haha 2

Looks like you just smack that rim with a hammer and you good to go. ?. The car, not so much.

• Agree 1

How did the load hold out?

I was peripherally involved in a rather big crash with a loaded ute running away down a hill and getting written off. The load held on. The bees let us know they were displeased but they settled remarkably fast, despite fuel and oil being about.

23 minutes ago, cBank said:

How did the load hold out?

I was peripherally involved in a rather big crash with a loaded ute running away down a hill and getting written off. The load held on. The bees let us know they were displeased but they settled remarkably fast, despite fuel and oil being about.

The load was empty honey supers it was out side a strawberry farm and they had hives in there for pollination and the close hive was just onver the fence so had a few robbers while we wait for the cop and to sort out the details 

it could had be worse if we had losted the load of 240 boxes 

did loss any 

Edited by Chris Valentine
  • Like 1

bumps. This truck struggles with them.

Once moved several two box hives from wellington to taranaki in this beast.

Lucky there is a back seat and a front seat for honey supers...

show_ya_truck.PNG

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Why I only own Toyotas

Yesterday pm I needed off to Auckland from Taupo

At Tokaroa I had 1/4 tank of gas so filled up with (51L)

So thats 25L in the tank and a 51L top up

About 20km up the road I noticed that there was a slight miss in the engine while coasting along at 100kmh and thought there must be water in the diesel Id just purchased.

Then I had a thought, the cost of the 51L was $135 and that seemed like a lot.

I wondered if Id filled up with petrol instead of Diesel

Surely not, that much petrol and the truck wouldn't run.

Checking the receipt confirmed my suspicion

The Diesel Prado was cruising along at 100kmh  on 33% diesel- 66% petrol  and running reasonably ok.

As the fuel was used I just kept topping up with Diesel and by the time Id done 550kms the tank was sitting at 25% Petrol 75% Diesel and there was no noticeable difference in performance. 

Its a 2004 truck that Ive had since new, being reluctant to part with it as its resale value doesnt really reflect its real value.

I also have a new one which I consider a much lesser vehicle than the old one

Edited by Philbee
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Sahhh Phil.A man of your talent....

Good story Phil, I've heard similar before.

I'm guessing it's not common rail? Some of the old diesels could take abuse like that, although down the track there could still be problems. But try it in a new common rail one and there will be a price to pay.

8 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Good story Phil, I've heard similar before.

I'm guessing it's not common rail? Some of the old diesels could take abuse like that, although down the track there could still be problems. But try it in a new common rail one and there will be a price to pay.

not always. 

the problem with running that amount of petrol is the increased wear on the pump and injectors.  that amount for that long may have almost worn the pump out.

with common rails they tend to fail to make enough pressure and turn off, which saves the injection system. flush it out and its good to go.

what kills them is running low amount of petrol in the diesel constantly. its not enough to stop the injection system but its enough to increase wear.

next time you accidentally put petrol in, put 100ml (i think i will have to check) of MINERAL 2 stroke oil. the really cheap stuff (do not use synthetic). that will stop the wear and you can run as normal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Good Info 2

10 hours ago, Philbee said:

Why I only own Toyotas

Yesterday pm I needed off to Auckland from Taupo

At Tokaroa I had 1/4 tank of gas so filled up with (51L)

So thats 25L in the tank and a 51L top up

About 20km up the road I noticed that there was a slight miss in the engine while coasting along at 100kmh and thought there must be water in the diesel Id just purchased.

Then I had a thought, the cost of the 51L was $135 and that seemed like a lot.

I wondered if Id filled up with petrol instead of Diesel

Surely not, that much petrol and the truck wouldn't run.

Checking the receipt confirmed my suspicion

The Diesel Prado was cruising along at 100kmh  on 33% diesel- 66% petrol  and running reasonably ok.

As the fuel was used I just kept topping up with Diesel and by the time Id done 550kms the tank was sitting at 25% Petrol 75% Diesel and there was no noticeable difference in performance. 

Its a 2004 truck that Ive had since new, being reluctant to part with it as its resale value doesnt really reflect its real value.

I also have a new one which I consider a much lesser vehicle than the old one

Must be a Prado  thing . Ours got a gut full of petrol about 8 years ago . Think it was from the wrong farm bowser being used .the engine wouldn’t go much above an idle , so drained fuel , filters etc and 200 k later she’s still good in the engine department . Was told at the time that the diesel lubricates the injector pump , so having petrol in the fuel reduces that lubrication , causing wear , as per @tristan comments . They were surprised it was running at all with the amount of petrol in the fuel . 

10 hours ago, Jas said:

Must be a Prado  thing . Ours got a gut full of petrol about 8 years ago . Think it was from the wrong farm bowser being used .the engine wouldn’t go much above an idle , so drained fuel , filters etc and 200 k later she’s still good in the engine department . Was told at the time that the diesel lubricates the injector pump , so having petrol in the fuel reduces that lubrication , causing wear , as per @tristan comments . They were surprised it was running at all with the amount of petrol in the fuel . 

Mine has done 465000km so the pump has probably worn all its going to
Its running sweet with 25% petrol still in it

• Agree 1

What would a 2003 Isuzu N series with a hiab be roughly worth with 270000km on clock? 

5 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

What would a 2003 Isuzu N series with a hiab be roughly worth with 270000km on clock? 

Depends on how it's been treated over those years.  And all the basics- tyres can cost a fair few bucks.  And the brake work, especially front.... Does the hiab have a remote? Add at least 5K for a remote. The service history would be good- 

I found it on trademe- good luck with it.  Go to carjam, enter the plate number- and it will provide some basic details.   I have a PML- new zealand made product - though discontinued. 

Good enough.  Looks like it's got a good reach.  

We  sold our Nissan condor last year.... crane.... 7.5lt diesel sweet’n’cheap to run truck. 10k.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

Hey Maru, weird how that truck got no tie down rails... 

14 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Hey Maru, weird how that truck got no tie down rails... 

Ended up going for just over 26k

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maru Hoani said:

Ended up going for just over 26k

yes, probably a good buy.  Bit of a risk though without a good look over it.  See they replied to the tie down, I guess the rail is hidden?