Alastair

Show Your Truck

52 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

If there was a corner coming up you had to start spinning  the steering wheel well in advance .

I’ve always said that the British car industry was ahead of it’s time in some ways and just needed the rest of the world to catch up to make their vehicles properly useful.

I had a Commer van that was the same. It was waiting for the invention of GPS so that you knew there was a corner coming up in a Km or two and you could initiate the turn.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, DeeGeeBee said:

had a Commer van that was the same. It was waiting for the invention of GPS so that you knew there was a corner coming up in a Km or two and you could initiate the turn.

I know exactly what you mean .

• Like 1

What about running the Prefect on radials on gravel for the first time ..weeeeeeee !!

• Like 2

On my trip to England a few months ago I'm pretty sure was the only person in the whole of England wearing denim stubies . My wife tried to make me get rid of them a few years ago but they are all I wear all summer and I still have the legs for them. My first car was Morris 1000. Freezing in winter and no room on the back seat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

What. You wear them when working bees? 

I'd wear shorts for working a couple of hives, but not in a commercial apiary, you are a braver man than I.

17 minutes ago, john berry said:

On my trip to England a few months ago I'm pretty sure was the only person in the whole of England wearing denim stubies . My wife tried to make me get rid of them a few years ago but they are all I wear all summer and I still have the legs for them. My first car was Morris 1000. Freezing in winter and no room on the back seat.

Was your wife with you .

Did she walk on the other side of the street from you .

People must have been more stoic then with what we put up with . Cars without heaters :51_scream:

• Haha 1

You didn't need no heater back then, you just drove them so hard the gearbox generated enough heat to keep you warm , and if you were parked up thats what the girl beside you was for 

Oh for the good ole days 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I recently put a "Back Aid' crane on the back of me Landcruiser and changed the manual motor for a 12V one. 

Got the pallet fork from Waimea Cranes and then cut it down to a usable size and sleeved the inside of the pipes. 

So far its proving to be up for the job and far better than not having one. 

Ive made up double hive pallets and will be lifting two double hives as a max. lift. The crane can lift 450 kg's but I think I'll keep the max lift a bit below this so I don't tip my truck over. 

It weighs about 25kg's with the motor and it means I can remove it from the flat deck when I don't need it...... also means when I get a trailer soon i can insert a couple of mounting plates at either end of that and use it on there too. 

IMG_9127.JPG

• Like 7
  • Good Info 1

On 27/09/2018 at 11:57 AM, kevin moore said:

Took the 1999 Hilux in for warrant yesterday, it has a 501 motor and has a turbo, have owned this for some thing like 3-4 years, person before me owned it a lot longer, any way it failed seems like it has to have a cert for the turbo, Toyota has given this truck several warrants as well as the testing that failed it yesterday, any one know if this is correct,

Blenheim Toyota is looking into it, have'nt heard back yet.

toyota now have the truck and are now putting it though the cert process, one of the requirements is that it needs a drive shaft loop/hoop. no biggie

the truck they have given me to use is a toyota 3.0  D4D the last "D" is in red, has any one got one of these or know any thing about them, it seems a really great truck, although is a double cab like mine the deck is alot bigger, it seems to have alot more power than my old turbo girl which is also a 3.0,

any comments would be great thanks

4 hours ago, kevin moore said:

toyota now have the truck and are now putting it though the cert process, one of the requirements is that it needs a drive shaft loop/hoop. no biggie

the truck they have given me to use is a toyota 3.0  D4D the last "D" is in red, has any one got one of these or know any thing about them, it seems a really great truck, although is a double cab like mine the deck is alot bigger, it seems to have alot more power than my old turbo girl which is also a 3.0,

any comments would be great thanks

Your driving the K series toyota (common rail ) hilux , the next generation from the L series that you currently own. K series have alot more tow, cheaper on gas too.

My personal preference is the 1kzt model ute from 2000 - early 2005

The r15 gearbox is also well suited to both on and offroad use, far better than the g52 .

Sounds like blenheim toyota are dangling a very tempting piece of bait in front of your nose.

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Bee Good said:

Your driving the K series toyota (common rail ) hilux , the next generation from the L series that you currently own. K series have alot more tow, cheaper on gas too.

The r15 gearbox is also well suited to both on and offroad use, far better than the g52 .

Sounds like blenheim toyota are dangling a very tempting piece of bait in front of your nose.

YES. its very nice to drive

4 hours ago, Bee Good said:

thats a lot of miss-information.

there is no L or K series hilux.

the engines are L series, KZ and KD.

L engines is your old hilux. the 1kz engine replaced it in the next model hilux (non-common rail) which in turn was replaced by the KD common rail engine.

old hilux will N series, probably N160 i think. full model number being LN160. L for engine, N is series, 160 i think is chassis.

no r15 gearbox, its r151f or r150 which is common in the diesel hiluxs. G52's i think where mostly 4cyl petrol engined hiluxs.

the KD series engines suffered from a poor injector seal which is meant to be replaced at certain intervals, which often doesn't get done. that results in combustion gas getting up past the injector cooking the engine oil making crud which falls into the oil and clogs the strainer. which in turn starves the engine of oil. 

changing the seals also means replacing the fuel rail etc, so the cost is rather $$$$.

if you buy one check the service records. also check the fuel rail, they are often marked how many times its been removed as you can only remove them certain number of times before they start to fail (which is why they get replaced).

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 1

4 minutes ago, tristan said:

L engines is your old hilux. the 1kz engine replaced it in the next model hilux (non-common rail) which in turn was replaced by the KD common rail engine.

old hilux will N series, probably N160 i think. full model number being LN160. L for engine, N is series, 160 i think is chassis.

no r15 gearbox, its r151f or r150 which is common in the diesel hiluxs. G52's i think where mostly 4cyl petrol engined hiluxs.

the KD series engines suffered from a poor injector seal which is meant to be replaced at certain intervals, which often doesn't get done. that results in combustion gas getting up past the injector cooking the engine oil making crud which falls into the oil and clogs the strainer. which in turn starves the engine of oil. 

changing the seals also means replacing the fuel rail etc, so the cost is rather $$$$.

if you buy one check the service records. also check the fuel rail, they are often marked how many times its been removed as you can only remove them certain number of times before they start to fail (which is why they get replaced).

More like vague information, I was just referring to some diesels, there;s a heap of variants as you know in petrols  and auto transmissions

Just referring to a couple of engine models, you are correct the 1kd onwards is common rail, 1kzt not so sure.

And yes I should have added an f to that r15 and made it an r15f gear box, still a dam good gear box and I hope they never change it.

G52,s fitted to 5L'S hilux and hiace( diesel) I should know just replaced one recently. Crappy ratio's anyway.

Surf,Hilux or prado fitted with standard 1kzt motor and gearbox my favourite

Starting to see alot of 1kd's in mechanics getting major surgeries alright

20 minutes ago, Bee Good said:

More like vague information, I was just referring to some diesels, there;s a heap of variants as you know in petrols  and auto transmissions

Just referring to a couple of engine models, you are correct the 1kd onwards is common rail, 1kzt not so sure.

And yes I should have added an f to that r15 and made it an r15f gear box, still a dam good gear box and I hope they never change it.

G52,s fitted to 5L'S hilux and hiace( diesel) I should know just replaced one recently. Crappy ratio's anyway.

Surf,Hilux or prado fitted with standard 1kzt motor and gearbox my favourite

Starting to see alot of 1kd's in mechanics getting major surgeries alright

its not r15, its r151 (or r150).

i'm not up on the later drive lines.

odd to see a g52. did it have 2 pinion diff as well? some budget versions ran weaker driveline.

1kzt and 1kzte are not common rail.

Not sure about the diff, but will find out in due course as there's a leaky oil seal to attend to at some time.

15 hours ago, tristan said:

where is this fuel rail, have had alook but can't see much for the wopping great air cleaner on top, what sort of $$ do you think it cost to replace the fuel rail, i see the cam belt was changed at 166, now at 216 not sure how often that gets replaced, they gave it to me with no manual in it, steel plate in motor bay says 2008.

Martha has started to jump out of 5 gear it was good for a giggle to start with but now is starting to pee me off do the 1996 Hilux gearbox's have a decent ball and spring or is half a million ks catching up on her

6 minutes ago, glynn said:

Martha has started to jump out of 5 gear it was good for a giggle to start with but now is starting to pee me off do the 1996 Hilux gearbox's have a decent ball and spring or is half a million ks catching up on her

Thats the exact first symptom mine had, then it could'nt go into 5th at all ,quickly foliowed by not going into reverse, almost self destructed.

Took a year from the first signs of slipping out of gear before the self destruct.

Found a replacement reconditioned one in Auckland, cost about $1700.00

24 minutes ago, glynn said:

common problem is the gearstick seat falls to bits. there is some aftermarket ones from marlin crawler that are really good.

they can have issues with the indent springs. easy to get to on the r151/r150 boxes.

but i think you can also have issues with some of the bearings or shims

9 hours ago, kevin moore said:

where is this fuel rail, have had alook but can't see much for the wopping great air cleaner on top, what sort of $$ do you think it cost to replace the fuel rail, i see the cam belt was changed at 166, now at 216 not sure how often that gets replaced, they gave it to me with no manual in it, steel plate in motor bay says 2008.

its under the top cover. its on the right side of the engine by the rocker cover. google 1kd engine and you will find pics easy enough.

no idea on price.

• Like 1

Fixed this issue myself on a vehicle I had, pulled the gearbox apart and with a fine tool, cut an indentation into the splines where they mesh into each other so they would hold and not jump out. 

On 24/02/2017 at 10:46 PM, Philbee said:

Ill build 3 cranes over this winter.

They will be for trailer fitting only, manual levelling, 4m max reach or less (2x trailer width) - 400mm with a 200kg SWL.

Price will be less than 15k fitted.

How much less Im not sure yet but since Ive already build one Im confident I can make them affordable.

Trailer mods are an issue and ideally a trailer manufacturer could build a trailer that would be simple to brace up to carry the crane.

Im not really interested in building trailers as well.

Ive done some research and it seems that the first of the V8 models could use up to 1L /2500 kms which means they couldn't safely get from one service to the next without being topped up.

Probably best option is to just not go there and either get the last of the six cylinder turbo model or a 2010 or newer.

@Philbee knowing you have been flat out with your mass production of " varroa exterminators",I was wondering if the crane building project  eventuated?

On 25/02/2017 at 8:16 AM, Over Worker said:

Sitting on my steps this morning looking into the fog....wondering where it all went wrong :(:whistle: popped ram seal and a blown gasket...:rofl:20170225_080059.jpg.e83f6d55fd59f6120f5169a428d06cda.jpg

20170225_080059.jpg.e83f6d55fd59f6120f5169a428d06cda.jpg

Howzit mate,long time no see or hear...was just wondering how the trailer was going??

2 hours ago, Phil46 said:

@Philbee knowing you have been flat out with your mass production of " varroa exterminators",I was wondering if the crane building project  eventuated?

Lol

No, I advertised but had no takers so took it that there was no market for them.

Agreed, that Ezyloader (admittedly a bit worn and torn) getting sold for 2 grand told me demand is over.