Alastair

Show Your Truck

On 24/09/2018 at 7:29 AM, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Photos, or it never happened.

took me a while, but if i got this right, here is a Photo of me in the 2018 mahindra and the 1990 hilux next to it.

just for you, Trevor. oh, and @Alastair of cos

mahindra.jpg

• Like 5

On 1/10/2018 at 8:05 PM, tony said:

@jamesc and @cBank, what about this electric ute, https://zevnz.com/

That’s excellent, it would be great t test one. Not sure how I missed that one.

Nice Tom, better with bullbars though ?

I guess you'll be keeping it long term? If so, I would recommend getting the chassis galvanised by a place in Auckland that do them for aroun 2 1/2 k. It's a weak point in Mahindras, I was shocked after around 3 years to be finding rust in the chassis. Since then I've been looking at other Mahindras and discovered that mine is not the only one. Not urgent though, they sand blast as part of the procedure so you could wait a few years, but, do keep an eye on the chassis.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Tom from a driving and comfort point of view, how do you find it compared to the Hilux?

Edited by Alastair

7 hours ago, tom sayn said:

took me a while, but if i got this right, here is a Photo of me in the 2018 mahindra and the 1990 hilux next to it.

just for you, Trevor. oh, and @Alastair of cos

mahindra.jpg

Looks great @tom sayn

17 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Tom from a driving and comfort point of view, how do you find it compared to the Hilux?

driving comfort: no question. mahinra way better. i get a back pain just looking at the hilux now.

and i'm surprised how well the mahindra goes off road with road tires in 2 wheel drive with that 2 wheel drive diff lock thingy.

i would consider buying 2 wheel drive in the future if this is common in modern 2 wheel drive utes now (?)

i have not taken it into the mud or done any hardcore off road tracks, yet. that's what i keep the trusted hilux for.

Don't be afraid to take it in the mud although you'll need muddy tyres. Done a bit of muddy driving in my day and the Mahindra performs real well. I do have a winch though, which gives that extra bit of confidence when diving into the really bad places.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tom sayn said:

i would consider buying 2 wheel drive in the future if this is common in modern 2 wheel drive utes now (?)

no. mahindras got a weird type of locker. i'm not sure how well it will hold up over time.

most utes these days will have open diffs and use traction control. tho i did here some are also fitting lsd as well now to save the wear on the brakes.

top models often have an electric locker.

forget 2wd, even with a locker a basic 4wd will do better.

of course the old hilux you have a huge range of lockers and lsd's you can fit.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Alastair said:

You would have to hope the 2018 was more comfortable than the solid beam 1990 model surely ?

• Like 2

An explanation of the Mahindra Eaton diff.

• Good Info 1

I did wonder about it Stoney. Are the latest Hiluxes more comfy than the old ones?

Old, does not necessarily mean not comfy. Here is a pic of me from WAY back, (in the green t shirt) with the set of wheels I owned at the time. Believe it or not the car actually ran nicely, had very comfortable seating and gave a nice smooth ride.

me.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Hey Alistair, I had me a 6 cyl version way back when, them ######s could fly 

Cool. Yes this was a straight 6. As you say it could go, i was told that back in the day the police even used them.

It was pretty funny driving it, I would get bemused looks from other drivers thinking is that thing really on the road? Then I'd take off at an intersection and they couldn't keep up. ?

Edited by Alastair

Alastair I bet you would like to still have it in the garage too... 

I drive a 2001 hilux and won’t part with it. 

I wish I still had my 1990 hilux but too late for spilt milk. 

The late model work Utes we have run too many buzzers and whistles for my liking. 

• Like 1

Agreed Stoney I feel that way also, the simplicity of the Mahindra appealed to me.

5 hours ago, DeeGeeBee said:

What is it @Alastair?

Well, the original plan was to put it in a demolition derby. But before that happened I got the opportunity to buy a house, and putting the deposit together required selling my nice 2 year old vehicle. I tinkered with my demolition derby machine and eventually got a WOF on it, and the rest is history.

Can you believe, it was something of a chic magnet. :D. Because everyone thought it was hilarious me driving it, and everyone wanted to go for a ride in it, unbelievable amount of people been in that car. It didn't have a key, you flicked a switch then pushed a button. 

At that time most of my housemates were Maori, and old school, it was share and share alike. So my buddies pretty much helped themselves to the car when needed, keeping it running was a bit of a community project also, that's how things were back then. Fun times, seems like a whole different life now.

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Can you believe, it was something of a chic magnet.

It was probably the stubies.

Those sort of cars rolled easily .

My friends used to take those high cars down to the beach and do tight turns at speed to try and flip them  when they were teenagers .

• Haha 2

@Alistairlove the roof ornament! STUBBIES!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alastair said:

Agreed Stoney I feel that way also, the simplicity of the Mahindra appealed to me.

Well, the original plan was to put it in a demolition derby. But before that happened I got the opportunity to buy a house, and putting the deposit together required selling my nice 2 year old vehicle. I tinkered with my demolition derby machine and eventually got a WOF on it, and the rest is history.

Can you believe, it was something of a chic magnet. :D. Because everyone thought it was hilarious me driving it, and everyone wanted to go for a ride in it, unbelievable amount of people been in that car. It didn't have a key, you flicked a switch then pushed a button. 

At that time most of my housemates were Maori, and old school, it was share and share alike. So my buddies pretty much helped themselves to the car when needed, keeping it running was a bit of a community project also, that's how things were back then. Fun times, seems like a whole different life now.

Awesome.....but what make and model is it?

43 minutes ago, DeeGeeBee said:

Awesome.....but what make and model is it?

1948 /51 Vauxhall Velox

Edited by yesbut
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bron said:

@Alistairlove the roof ornament! STUBBIES!

it always makes me laugh when baby boomers talk about uncontrollable young people.

my generation went through the ages on a very large demographic wave.

when we were young we really had the numbers and were really uncontrollable and drove the previous generation into retreat

we ran around in things that would never be allowed on the road today.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, yesbut said:

1948 /51 Vauxhall Velox

Exactly right Yesbut, you are clearly a man of excellent taste.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Exactly right Yesbut, you are clearly a man of excellent taste.

I had a vauxhall wyvern .

One night I slid into a herd of cows a farmer was moving in the rain .

Barely a dent in the car .

I was going slow . The car only did slow .

If there was a corner coming up you had to start spinning  the steering wheel well in advance .

• Haha 3

Look a bit like this Kaihoka? Solid beasties.

wyvern.JPG

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

@Alastair a difficult car to drive if you were a tiny petite person .

Not a problem for me .:6_smile:

• Haha 1