Alastair

Show Your Truck

Just now, tristan said:

and what happens if you can't back up 2 or 3 meters ?

You pay the price for being such a nong you couldn't foresee this ?

• Agree 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, tristan said:

and what happens if you can't back up 2 or 3 meters ?

LOL, I have been in that situation the odd time. What happens is if everything was in exactly the right place, it engages straight off. But backing up is so if everything was not in the right place, it will align when you back and clunk into place. 

But if you go forwards it will clunk into place but with a jerk that isn't good for it. But if there's no option I just drive forward slowly. Not the end of the world.

...and shorter engine lives I'm betting. My new lawnmower beats the oil change problem...no drain plug! No recommendation for an oil change ever.

On 23/09/2018 at 8:13 PM, Alastair said:

LOL time does fly, had it 4 years now. It's my only vehicle also so does supermarketing and whatever as well as bee stuff.

My trucks done 60K in just over 3 seasons now

12 hours ago, Alastair said:

Oh, main bit of advice I'd give mahindra newbies is careful to change between 4 and 2 wheel drive properly, cos in my one the instructions were hard to understand.

With vehicle stationary put your foot on the clutch then turn the knob to either 4wd or 2wd. Wait a few seconds for the little flashing light on the dash to stop flashing, then put the vehicle in reverse and back up 2 or 3 meters. That engages everything, you are good to go.

so far my experience is that you take it out of gear,  put it into 4h or low and wait a few seconds and it's engaged. i do go backwards after disengaging but, because i was told to. also important to press that nob that's kind of a diff lock. was impressed how much difference that makes even without putting into 4x4.

• Like 1

Took the 1999 Hilux in for warrant yesterday, it has a 501 motor and has a turbo, have owned this for some thing like 3-4 years, person before me owned it a lot longer, any way it failed seems like it has to have a cert for the turbo, Toyota has given this truck several warrants as well as the testing that failed it yesterday, any one know if this is correct,

Blenheim Toyota is looking into it, have'nt heard back yet.

@kevin mooreI had an argument with our local testing station a few years back when they failed my factory fitted window tints on the front of the RAV for being too dark. It had been warranted for 14 years prior okay. They just changed the rules!

5 hours ago, kevin moore said:

Took the 1999 Hilux in for warrant yesterday, it has a 501 motor and has a turbo, have owned this for some thing like 3-4 years, person before me owned it a lot longer, any way it failed seems like it has to have a cert for the turbo, Toyota has given this truck several warrants as well as the testing that failed it yesterday, any one know if this is correct,

Blenheim Toyota is looking into it, have'nt heard back yet.

that will be a 5L engine (3 litre).

yes it requires a cert. fitting a turbo onto any engine requires a cert. in the past they just ignored diesels cause its still a slow ute, who cares. but now they actually check.

easy enough to do but they will make you fit a drive shaft hoop.

one of the catches with a cert is the tires get certed. you won't be able to change size without getting another cert.

so if you run big muds make sure they are on when you get the cert done.

• Good Info 1

how gutless would it be just to take the turbo off, i often think the turbo dosn't do much, hard to tell,

30 minutes ago, kevin moore said:

how gutless would it be just to take the turbo off, i often think the turbo dosn't do much, hard to tell,

depends on how its tuned. you would have to adjust the fuel back down. how much power you would loose depends entirely on how much the fuel was wound up when turbo was fitted.

you would need an egt gauge in the exhaust manifold so you can adjust it (typically you fit them when you fit the turbo so you can tune it) non-turbo diesels are rather critical to get right.

do you know what turbo or what kit is fitted?

On ‎24‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 9:43 PM, Ali said:

...and shorter engine lives I'm betting. My new lawnmower beats the oil change problem...no drain plug! No recommendation for an oil change ever.

A while back I read the manual for such a lawnmower. The oil still has to be changed, the manual described how to tilt the mower on it's side and drain the oil out of the filler hole.

That says how to get a cert, but what I meant was does my (turbo from new) vehicle have one and do they have to see it?

20 minutes ago, Alastair said:

That says how to get a cert, but what I meant was does my (turbo from new) vehicle have one and do they have to see it?

cert is only for modifications.

if you have a cert, the cert plate is fastened to the engine bay with the info on it for the wof man to see.

• Good Info 1

On 24/09/2018 at 9:43 PM, Ali said:

Some new Prados have a non servicable Auto Trans 

Toyotas have a cool diff and trans lock up system.
Push the button and a spring gets wound or compressed  like clockwork
It holds that pressure until the splines line up and it trips in.
Sometimes in can take a 50 meters if you keep the power on, but as soon as you back off the lock up clicks in.

Edited by Philbee

We are onto our third landcruiser ..... each have had the High Country extras of diff locks and more importantly snorkel. On each one the rear diff locker has played up and we ended up disconnecting them. 

I am now thinking of going electric ..... runabout that is. An electric ute that comes home on a night  and is plugged into the powerpoint in the shed that is powered up by a water turbine in the creek.

It then follows that all the staff have electric cars to get to work, and perk of the job is free charge up from the creek turbine. I just saved my bit of the planet.

Who do we approach for funding ?

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hummm! How do you reckon those electric Utes would go with 32 full Honey supers on? @jamesc The rest of it sounds like a solid plan thou. I've got one too, winning Lotto!

• Haha 2

33boxes.... dunno but if we are to progress after jacinda and the greens have restricted the flow of oil, we meed to get our thinking caps on.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, jamesc said:

I am now thinking of going electric ..... runabout that is. An electric ute that comes home on a night  and is plugged into the powerpoint in the shed that is powered up by a water turbine in the creek.

The resource consents and other red tape would kill it.

That's an interesting bit of math for someone......how much volume of water at a certain head, to run a car for 10km......

10 hours ago, jamesc said:

On each one the rear diff locker has played up and we ended up disconnecting them. 

what brand locker?

10 hours ago, jamesc said:

I am now thinking of going electric

a hybrid ute would actually be quite useful. especially in places like orchards where you stop at each block or just moving the ute down a line of hives.

there is a few hybrid trucks around that can drive around the yard on battery only.

however i don't know how the rather high voltage electrics are going to like being submersed in water.

The Workhorse and the Bison and the two electric/hybrids that seem to be getting most press in the US. Tesla have one on the horizon too. 

This is the one I’d like. It’ll take a full sheet of ply and you can run a length of timber inside, under the cabin as there is no motor under the bonnet. It’s got 200-300km range and depending on the spec, 360hp, 560 torques and 0-100kmh in 4.5 seconds. Their own site is worth a look. Starts at $60k US, so it isn’t cheap.

There are several big advantages (and a couple or horrid downsides, primarily cost). Having several high current power points on the side is seriously excellent.

One can dream.

Edited by cBank
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, jamesc said:

We are onto our third landcruiser ..... each have had the High Country extras of diff locks and more importantly snorkel. On each one the rear diff locker has played up and we ended up disconnecting them. 

It then follows that all the staff have electric cars to get to work, and perk of the job is free charge up from the creek turbine. I just saved my bit of the planet.

Who do we approach for funding ?

There are plenty of these turbines in use but it helps if it was installed a long time ago in a bush clad gully well off the road
One concern is that the Dam could collapse and send a wall of water down stream.

I worked with a guy once from the Naki who had one powerful enough to run his welder and his house.