• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got a new bee truck today. 1929 Willys Overland Whippet.

It’s a very long time since I had a Ute . Now I have one again . I love it 

Got truck and just waiting for sign writing 

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Harlan Cox said:

Put a rear locker (an "ozzie locker" or Detroit locker)

which one? (they work differently).

i had a lockrite in the 4x4 (rear). great offroad and on gravel roads. onroad highway was passable tho it requires a different driving style. around town it was a pain, so i put a lsd in.

12 hours ago, Harlan Cox said:

It broke 3 front CV joints in the first 25,000km

I dropped my lift back to standard but stayed with stiff springs 

Same deal, the CVs dont like it but thankfully new front CV shafts complete are only 170 each landed out of Aussie

41 minutes ago, tristan said:

which one? (they work differently).

i had a lockrite in the 4x4 (rear). great offroad and on gravel roads. onroad highway was passable tho it requires a different driving style. around town it was a pain, so i put a lsd in.

There you go, my understanding was they are much the same. I bought mine through locker.com.au they refer to them as the Ozzie locker. Like you say it's awesome in mud and gravel. Fine on the highway but a pain around town. Lucky we live in the bush so I really like it. Traction has increased dramatically. Basically these diffs are locked until you drive around a corner and the outside wheel spins faster than the inside and the diff unlocks. That's the short story. Doesn't always unlock but by and large I'm really happy with it. I am a semi reformed boy racer however

5 minutes ago, Harlan Cox said:

There you go, my understanding was they are much the same. I bought mine through locker.com.au they refer to them as the Ozzie locker. Like you say it's awesome in mud and gravel. Fine on the highway but a pain around town. Lucky we live in the bush so I really like it. Traction has increased dramatically. Basically these diffs are locked until you drive around a corner and the outside wheel spins faster than the inside and the diff unlocks. That's the short story. Doesn't always unlock but by and large I'm really happy with it. I am a semi reformed boy racer however

aussie locker. an auto locker aka lunchbox locker.

if you drive it like a boy racer it can kill you.

unlike a detroit, when you hit the gas it forces the locker to lock, even if it doesn't want to. to go around corners you need to lift the throttle and coast. of course trying to do that uphill is not easy. to get it to lock smoothly you want both wheels to do the same speed before you get back on the throttle. so you can't put the throttle on as you come out of a turn. you have to straighten out fully then hit it.  if you hit the gas to early the locker will force the tire speeds to match, usually with a squeal of a tire. if you have big sticky tires it can mean diff damage. something has to give. 

if you go full noise coming out of a turn in the wet, the locker is forced to lock, which makes one tire loose grip. loosing half your grip in the wet under high power in a corner is likely to cause you to spin out.

you have to be careful of how you drive and drive smoothly.

detroits on the other hand will lock/unlock regardless of throttle, but they take a lot more before they unlock and afaik tend to be more abrupt.

That's it you have described the driving situation spot on. Definitely need to balance the throttle so I roll around corners. Can be difficult up hill or with a load on. Lots of clicking and some clunking around tight corners on the seal. But all in all I would fit the same again, definitely not for those who live in the city. Have to be mindful in the wet. Great traction in gravel and mud, the traction control system has much less work as it doesn't spin the inside wheel all the time coming out of corners

5 minutes ago, Harlan Cox said:

the traction control system has much less work as it doesn't spin the inside wheel all the time coming out of corners

thats interesting. had heard of a lot of shops disable the traction control system when installing lockers.

however i did hear even manufactures have gone back to using lsd to reduce the wear on the rear brakes due to the excessive use of the traction control.

on gravel roads the auto locker is great, tho it does rip the road up a bit !

• 5 weeks later...

Oh, main bit of advice I'd give mahindra newbies is careful to change between 4 and 2 wheel drive properly, cos in my one the instructions were hard to understand.

With vehicle stationary put your foot on the clutch then turn the knob to either 4wd or 2wd. Wait a few seconds for the little flashing light on the dash to stop flashing, then put the vehicle in reverse and back up 2 or 3 meters. That engages everything, you are good to go.

• Like 2
  • Good Info 1
9 hours ago, Alastair said:

Oh, main bit of advice I'd give mahindra newbies is careful to change between 4 and 2 wheel drive properly, cos in my one the instructions were hard to understand.

With vehicle stationary put your foot on the clutch then turn the knob to either 4wd or 2wd. Wait a few seconds for the little flashing light on the dash to stop flashing, then put the vehicle in reverse and back up 2 or 3 meters. That engages everything, you are good to go.

and what happens if you can't back up 2 or 3 meters ?

• Haha 1