• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got a new bee truck today. 1929 Willys Overland Whippet.

It’s a very long time since I had a Ute . Now I have one again . I love it 

Got truck and just waiting for sign writing 

Posted Images

Awesome, but a lot of money.

What I can say is that moving bees is the job I used to hate. Now with the loader it's so much fun I actually look forward to it. :)

And I kid you not, my 8 year old grand daughter can load a hive onto the truck with it, that's how easy it is.

Because I am a one man band, the convenience of being at a site and making a spur of the moment decision to move a few of the hives, and being able to do that without having to get someone else to help, is also a huge plus.

Issue I've had with it is one of the brakes blows the fuse fairly regularly. After discussing with Mark from Ezyloader it seems there is a slight design flaw, long as I spray some crc type lubricant on the brake push lever every few weeks to keep it moving freely,  it doesn't blow a fuse. My friend who got the other Ezyloader that came in the same box, hasn't had this problem.

Anyhow if a person can afford it, I'd say yes, go for it. Especially for someone who works on their own. Me, I would not go back to not having it.

Edited by Alastair
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Alastair said:

Something to bear in mind is they have to be serviced every 10,000 kms, not sure but I think some other makes only have to be serviced every 15,000 km's. (i think).

a lot of new vehicles are up around 30,000km service interval. our mid 2000 models have 10,000km services.

• Good Info 1

Is that including diesels? It would certainly be convenient.

One thing I'm enjoying of recent times is only having to get a WOF one time per year. 6 monthly was just stupid especially when i was married and with teenagers, and living in a 7 vehicle household (counting trailer and boat).

Edited by Alastair
  • Agree 1
10 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

How much is your average service? My last 2 quad services were 1600 each and my D-Max is 1000-1600 every service and it had a leaky gearbox seal before 30 000km

I have a DMax and after a few agent services, shopped around.  Saved quite a lot- and as long as the services are done as specified then warranty okay. 

Did you not ReMap the Dmax?  Could this have contributed towards a leaking seal? 

I am nearly at 70K and no problems.  Except the rear leaves, which I stop gaped with some Load Hogs- not a good solution and will need to redo. 

20 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Is that including diesels? It would certainly be convenient.

One thing I'm enjoying of recent times is only having to get a WOF one time per year. 6 monthly was just stupid especially when i was married and with teenagers, and living in a 7 vehicle household (counting trailer and boat).

yeah thats with the diesels. i have no idea with petrols.

fleet owners really like big service intervals, it helps keep costs down.

10 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

How much is your average service? My last 2 quad services were 1600 each and my D-Max is 1000-1600 every service and it had a leaky gearbox seal before 30 000km

@Maru Hoaniwhen you say 'quad' service do you mean a quad bike?

1 hour ago, Gino de Graaf said:

I have a DMax and after a few agent services, shopped around.  Saved quite a lot- and as long as the services are done as specified then warranty okay. 

Did you not ReMap the Dmax?  Could this have contributed towards a leaking seal? 

I am nearly at 70K and no problems.  Except the rear leaves, which I stop gaped with some Load Hogs- not a good solution and will need to redo. 

Nah only just got done a few hundred KS ago, my D-Max is on 57,000kms now

@Alastairdo you recon the Mahindra Genio and Bolero may be available in NZ too. I have seen a M Genio few weeks ago in the city - very impressive long deck. However these two trucks are not 4x4 but M Bolero is rated to 1.150t of load. Also these two have no such comfort inside like the M. Pickup but they are very cheap. The M. Genio is under 20K in Australia(brand new).

Yes, when I was at the dealership there was a whole bunch of vehicles but i wasn't just sure what they are but i think Genio & Bolero. Right now you can get a pikup same as the one in the video top of this page, for $24,990. Insanely cheap really, and the 2wd vehicles are presumably at least a few thousand cheaper, so maybe they can be had for under 20 but I don't know.

http://www.mahindra.co.nz/pikup/

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Found this crane posted by Mario on Beesource, says he built it for around US$500. 

Looking at it it's simple, but good, it has leveling in both directions, for a budget set up I would say superb, so sharing it.

https://www.beesource.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14674&d=1417036242

Mario Crane.JPG

Hi Alistair 

im on the forum as well but that link doesn’t take you to the thread for that post. Can you post another link?

On 27/07/2018 at 5:58 PM, tristan said:

yeah thats with the diesels. i have no idea with petrols.

fleet owners really like big service intervals, it helps keep costs down.

7-8000 km intervals will see a diesel last a very long time
One of my Prados is on 410000 and the engine runs like new 
For the first 3 years it was on 5000km services

8 hours ago, yesbut said:

Absolutely. When an oil change costs less than a tankful of gas why wouldn't you do it often. 

Oil change on our diesel hyundai i30- $50 for filter and $70 odd for good penrite oil.  120 all up- twice the price of 2 tanks of diesel.  Did it myself.  A mechanic probably charge 200-250. 

My truck's filter was a lot bigger and cost not much more- strange.  The i30 has a cartridge type, not a twist on one. 

I tend to change oil every 12-15k.  

There is a lot of wastage when following 5-10k intervals, as the oil is still often in great condition.  The dmax gets done by mechanic- due to warranty- it has a long service interval for oil and filter  but the stupid warranty requires engine coolant changes every 20K- and too often other fluids such as power steer, brake, and gear boxes at a too often basis. 

The mechanic said it's how the Isuzu dudes get their money and scratched his head looking at the service requirements.  I took it to Isuzu twice, and it was expensive.  And now go to a local. The every 40K calls on valve adjustments and most of the fluids and the quote I got for Isuzu was loads. 

Oh, penrite oil- 

The guy at Repco said that their own 'home' brand oils are just penrite re packaged.  They pushed penrite when I asked for a suitable oil.  Didn't even take me to the home brand section. 

Partly because I needed a 10-40 (repco 15-40) and also he said they push the penrite products. Added value (though I got my on a 'special')

I'd be a little careful about that, when it comes to something as important as the oil in my truck ( assuming you want to keep it long term ). If the "guy at repco" told me it's all the same stuff, I'd do a bit more research before taking his word for it.

And re during warranty service schedules, the warranty provider has to spend money if anything goes wrong. So of course they are going to want frequent servicing cos it just may save them some money. All the same, my truck is out of warranty now but I'm fully following the service schedule anyway, wanting to get the most out of my truck.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Philbee said:

7-8000 km intervals will see a diesel last a very long time
One of my Prados is on 410000 and the engine runs like new 
For the first 3 years it was on 5000km services

i think prado (1kz?) should be 5000km.

most of the older ones contaminate the oil fairly quickly. tho some vehicles run bypass filter with a super fine filter which can extend oil change time. others just have huge volume of oil and have longer oil change interval.

my old toyota, typically by 4000km it needs an oil change. the oil doesn't "wear out" it just gets lots of contamination.

newer ones run a lot cleaner hence they can do very long service intervals.

1 hour ago, tristan said:

i think prado (1kz?) should be 5000km.

most of the older ones contaminate the oil fairly quickly. tho some vehicles run bypass filter with a super fine filter which can extend oil change time. others just have huge volume of oil and have longer oil change interval.

my old toyota, typically by 4000km it needs an oil change. the oil doesn't "wear out" it just gets lots of contamination.

newer ones run a lot cleaner hence they can do very long service intervals.

are sure you arnt a mechanic?

I service my Dmax with my local mechanic every 10,000km. It broke 3 front CV joints in the first 25,000km. This was due to the lift the angle of the CVs was too extreme and they couldn't cope. Fitted a front diff  drop kit which corrected the angles and haven't had an issue since. Put a rear locker (an "ozzie locker" or Detroit locker) in recently and the mechanic found bits of spider gear in the oil and the bearings were shot at 40,000km!  to be fair on the Dmax it has had a 3" exhaust and ecu chips worked their magic over her from new, she works hard. So rear diff rebuilt with the locker and hopefully that's that for now!

With diesels,5k intervals were recommended if you were doing a lot of start/stop driving like around town/city where the diesel didn't really get to optimum operating temp,so a lot of combustion byproducts are still present ....as you get out on longer trips and getting maximum effiency byproduct volume decreases..

With newer tech in engine/fuel/filtration systems these days,engines get to ideal thermal effiency a lot quicker,so in theory ,cleaner burning hence longer service intervals.

• Like 1