Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got a new bee truck today. 1929 Willys Overland Whippet.

It’s a very long time since I had a Ute . Now I have one again . I love it 

Got truck and just waiting for sign writing 

Posted Images

On ‎5‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 11:31 AM, Dennis Crowley said:

Here's some eye candy from Aussie conference Alastair, Des loves his Mahindra, has two of them and is looking to buy another one. He carts his hives from QLD o VIC and drags this trailer with the forklift behind in the Mahindra. He made these lifters for about $10,000 each.

 

Thanks Dennis, Nice crane by Des he looks like a pretty clever guy.

 

David Mendes took a quick look at my Mahindra yesterday, not quite like the 300+ hive trucks he is accustomed to, but he liked it.

 

And oh, about David Mendes, he is an awesome beekeeper, encylopeadic understanding of bees and beekeeping, ran an extremely successful business, but a lovely humble guy. Very much worth listening to at the conference if you can.

Edited by Alastair
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, tristan said:

finished this the other week. repairs to the old girl.

 

image001.thumb.jpg.4f5e0c772c29a7923fb4dcf9cce9da2b.jpg

 

but you can still get sunburn in winter

image001.thumb.jpg.d58b88f4e7bf4066501302804213f584.jpg

 

........with a welder !

(must remember to wear gloves and thats from the UV not the heat).

 

 

both look nasty!

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, jamesc said:

both look nasty!

tho the top one was the worse !

those engines where never made to replace heads on. you have to strip almost everything off. got lucky my tools fitted some awkward bolts otherwise would have to take out the starter motor. remove starter motor to replace the head  ??? arghhh who designed this !

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have noticed this trend. Long time ago, engines tended to be pretty accessable. As time has gone on, they got harder and harder to get access to. Used to do my own mechanics, even a full engine recon consisting of rebore and crank grind once. But there's no way I'd even want to try on the Mahindra it's a jungle under that bonnet.

 

On the other hand, modern vehicles are more reliable and don't need the work that the older ones did.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tristan said:

tho the top one was the worse !

those engines where never made to replace heads on. you have to strip almost everything off. got lucky my tools fitted some awkward bolts otherwise would have to take out the starter motor. remove starter motor to replace the head  ??? arghhh who designed this !

yep ... the motor won;t heal itself !

Link to post
Share on other sites

As I am getting older I thought that I might borrow my wife's truck and use it for my beekeeping if I can convince her to buy the trailer unit..

I should be able to get 6 boxes of honey on the back plus 1 under the seat.  If I get the upgrade option of the basket in the front I will have the ability to carry my smoker and hive tool.

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like Bali got the kind of job I want. And Trevor got the kind of transport I felt like I needed when the alarm went off this morning. :50_open_mouth:

 

Talking about Land Cruisers, I was in the 4WD shop recently and there was a brand new cruiser getting pretty much every toy you could think. A wider deck, insane suspension, bullbars, winch, you name it. Something told me it was a beekeeper so I asked and the guy said yes he's a beekeeper, I said how much is all this mods costing, he said $35,000.

 

The guy noticed my reaction so said with a smile, he's getting 2 more cruisers done also.

 

So some folks obviously still got money!

 

 

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Alastair said:

Looks like Bali got the kind of job I want. And Trevor got the kind of transport I felt like I needed when the alarm went off this morning. :50_open_mouth:

 

Talking about Land Cruisers, I was in the 4WD shop recently and there was a brand new cruiser getting pretty much every toy you could think. A wider deck, insane suspension, bullbars, winch, you name it. Something told me it was a beekeeper so I asked and the guy said yes he's a beekeeper, I said how much is all this mods costing, he said $35,000.

 

The guy noticed my reaction so said with a smile, he's getting 2 more cruisers done also.

 

So some folks obviously still got money!

 

 

We thought about talking the boss into putting a kayak rack on the trucks.  But opted for harvest frames. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Alastair said:

Looks like Bali got the kind of job I want. And Trevor got the kind of transport I felt like I needed when the alarm went off this morning. :50_open_mouth:

 

Talking about Land Cruisers, I was in the 4WD shop recently and there was a brand new cruiser getting pretty much every toy you could think. A wider deck, insane suspension, bullbars, winch, you name it. Something told me it was a beekeeper so I asked and the guy said yes he's a beekeeper, I said how much is all this mods costing, he said $35,000.

 

The guy noticed my reaction so said with a smile, he's getting 2 more cruisers done also.

 

So some folks obviously still got money!

 

 

Sitting in Cairns at the moment and watching a lot of tandem axle land cruisers with slightly longer decks, which like a good size,any one had anything to do with them in nz?

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Dennis Crowley said:

Sitting in Cairns at the moment and watching a lot of tandem axle land cruisers with slightly longer decks, which like a good size,any one had anything to do with them in nz?

they are not as good as they look. really only done to increase load capacity but at the expensive of 4wd ability.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lindaloo26 said:

What you doing in Cairns Dennis??  Weren't you in another place a while ago? 

Imagine taking that beast into town.  Or around bends of a nice snug orchard. 

My sons a pilot over here and while he's having a break in France I thought 

I would come and eat all his food and drink all his booze(which is all top shelve stuff).

Yes I also went to the Australian Bee Conference in the GC a couple of weeks ago, just to get my head around what they are doing with their"manuka"!!

As for the tandem land cruiser, I take a truck around all my orchards now with no issue so it would fit no problem, as to town parking no worries.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

how much 4wd ability is lost do you think

from the comments i've heard its quite a bit.

they do not turn well. most i think are lazy rear axle, so you get situations where you sit on the rear axle and the front rear axle sits in the air doing nothing. thats fun and games with big trucks!  i understand a lot are used by their telco and power companies, but generally stick to the tracks. use the normal 4wd ver to get into the really rough parts.

Link to post
Share on other sites

OK Mahindra is on 95,000 km's now and first major drama. Was taking a look underneath and Yikes, oil on the bottom of the bellhousing  :52_fearful:.  Looking like it was coming from the little drainhole on the bottom.

 

Only good thing it was clean oil not dirty like the engine oil, so guessing a gearbox seal rather than a crank seal.

 

So I took it in to Mahindra, they have dismantled, I was right it's a gearbox seal so they will replace. They talked on the phone cos he said we caught it early and there is not yet any oil on the clutch plate, and he said the clutch plate is still pretty good still plenty of km's in it, do I want to put it back in, or replace?

 

So I opted to replace it anyway, the labour is the biggest cost here so may as well go new parts while we can. All the same it's a few bucks I would have rather not spent, been quoted $1600 for the job although that's an estimate at this time.

 

Mean time I've got a loaner, a later version of mine. Just after I bought mine they made quite a few improvements to the mahindra pikup, and surprising how much more peppy it is than my one, and how well it handles. Feels much more like a car, than mine, which feels kinda truck like.

 

  • Good Info 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Alastair said:

OK Mahindra is on 95,000 km's now and first major drama. Was taking a look underneath and Yikes, oil on the bottom of the bellhousing  :52_fearful:.  Looking like it was coming from the little drainhole on the bottom.

 

Only good thing it was clean oil not dirty like the engine oil, so guessing a gearbox seal rather than a crank seal.

 

So I took it in to Mahindra, they have dismantled, I was right it's a gearbox seal so they will replace. They talked on the phone cos he said we caught it early and there is not yet any oil on the clutch plate, and he said the clutch plate is still pretty good still plenty of km's in it, do I want to put it back in, or replace?

 

So I opted to replace it anyway, the labour is the biggest cost here so may as well go new parts while we can. All the same it's a few bucks I would have rather not spent, been quoted $1600 for the job although that's an estimate at this time.

 

Mean time I've got a loaner, a later version of mine. Just after I bought mine they made quite a few improvements to the mahindra pikup, and surprising how much more peppy it is than my one, and how well it handles. Feels much more like a car, than mine, which feels kinda truck like.

 

I'm going to get a mahindra when I get my next honey payment. Does it have any suspension upgrades available for the load capacity? Iv been running my 2.4L 2003 Ford courier as the field truck with old man emu leaf springs and load plus springs added to them and it easily takes a ton before it sits flat and it has done well over 300kms.

Although iv had the gear box reconditioned, the head done, heavy duty clutch and suspension.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cost of service, which I get done at the Ellerslie dealership, varies from around $300 to the most expensive one at 50,000 km which was just under $1,000. Something to bear in mind is they have to be serviced every 10,000 kms, not sure but I think some other makes only have to be serviced every 15,000 km's. (i think).

 

As standard they handle a ton reasonably well, the main issue being they are a bit gutless compared to say, a landcruiser, and a ton will slow them down. But because I'm often carrying heavy weights I got a suspension upgrade in the form of an extra leaf in the rear suspension and this made an unbelieveably big difference in handling etc with a heavy load on, cost a little under $600. However it does not increase the legal amount you can carry unless you go through some certification process. 

 

Just be aware that Mahindra is a cheaper vehicle and I have heard of people having assorted mechanical problems, although they do come with a 3 year or 100,000 km warranty. Up until the gearbox leak I've had a pretty good run out of mine, first day I got it an injector failed, they towed it away, repaired it, then towed it back to me, all within 24 hours. A few months later the heater knob on the dashboard broke, that too was repaired in 24 hours. Then the rest of the nearly 100,000 km's went with no mechanical problems at all, until the gearbox leak. Which I have been verbally quoted $1,600 to fix which includes a new clutch kit installed.

 

All of this, I'm pretty pleased with, I realised when I bought it that it's a cheaper vehicle so was expecting possible problems, all up I'm happy.

 

Something I was dissapointed with though, was rust in the chassis. I've looked at other older mahindras and seen the same thing, they use a cheapo paint on the chassis and it is not up to the job for NZ conditions. So I took mine to Autoblast, who use a spray galv on the chassis that is garuanteed i think 25 years. Cost a bit over $2,500 but I feel good about the chassis now. If you are getting a new one I'd recommend taking it to someone like that and having it done before even getting the deck put on.

 

http://www.autoblast.co.nz/

 

I replaced the standard tires it came with, with muddies, plus it's got a bullbar and winch. i LOVE driving it in mud and challenging conditions, Mahindra pikups are just made for this, I've driven a few 4wd's in my day but consider my current Mahindra to be as go anywhere as anything else I've driven, or better than. This is where it shines. Course, you still have to use your noggin.

 

Other than that, the Mahindra is fairly low tech does not have as much fancy add ons as the higher priced pick ups, but I like that.

 

Oh one thing, the 4wd is operated by an electronic switch. You have to turn the switch, wait a few seconds, then back up a meter or two and you may hear a slight clunk as the 4wd engages. Then you are good to go. To disengage 4wd you flick the switch back to 2wd, back up a meter or two, and you are back in 2wd.

 

Let's know if you get it Maru :)

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy Cow 

Those are big repair and service costs

Front seal on a gearbox easy, accessible from outside once box out.
seal maybe 20 bucks
Services 16 bucks for a filter and $70 for oil, 30mins done.
I do all my trucks, 3 Prados and a Hilux.

At the rate you guys are spending money you could buy your own hoist and get into it yourself.

If the truck is new then the day the warranty runs out sack the leaches

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...