• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got a new bee truck today. 1929 Willys Overland Whippet.

It’s a very long time since I had a Ute . Now I have one again . I love it 

Got truck and just waiting for sign writing 

Posted Images

going to call my truck Gladus, please as punch it passed its last warrant needing nothing done to it, since I brought it, it has cost between $400.00 too $1200.00 for warrants, this was taking it to Toyota for the free warrants  while I have the truck, so took it to the testing station this time - passed thank you,

but I see the rego has run out, this was expired when I took it for its warrant and none of us picked it up, I didn't think you could get a warrant with a expired rego

12 hours ago, kevin moore said:

going to call my truck Gladus, please as punch it passed its last warrant needing nothing done to it, since I brought it, it has cost between $400.00 too $1200.00 for warrants, this was taking it to Toyota for the free warrants  while I have the truck, so took it to the testing station this time - passed thank you,

but I see the rego has run out, this was expired when I took it for its warrant and none of us picked it up, I didn't think you could get a warrant with a expired rego

Other way round, you can't get rego with out a current wof :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The Mahindra has gone in to have the chassis galvanised, and for the week that takes I'm driving a Hiace van. Gotta say, it's about the most uncomfortable thing I've ever driven, I will never own one. Even getting in and out of it is a mission. Drinks gas too.

2 minutes ago, Alastair said:

The Mahindra has gone in to have the chassis galvanised, and for the week that takes I'm driving a Hiace van. Gotta say, it's about the most uncomfortable thing I've ever driven, I will never own one. Even getting in and out of it is a mission. Drinks gas too.

No offence intended. but its a sad commentary on the messy lives we lead when a bloke can't do without wheels for a week....

5 hours ago, Alastair said:

Chassis galvanised??? Couldn't help but think "hot dipped " but then I remember you explained the process in a past post, hope you are happy with the end result. 

Also, while I was there they had several vehicles on hoists at various stages of being worked on plus some finished ones, it looked very thorough, I'm really glad I found these guys. I'll post a pic of the truck once it's finished.

Another guy arrived at the same time as me with a brand new Landcruiser, I asked him why he would get it done, he said he's used Autoblast before and very happy with their work. He's wanting to drive on the beach a lot so getting it done, straight out of the showroom.

• Like 3

you wouldn't want hot dip galv. big problem is it leaves a bumpy surface so nothing is going to bolt on properly and all the threads will need redoing.

good thing with hot dip and why its great on trailers is it gets in everywhere.

that spray on process is only as good as the prep. in that video they had stuff still bolted on, so all the bits under and bits shielded by other parts will get missed.

its best to strip everything off. not sure how your getting the chassis done as taking out a chassis is a big job.

Yes they won't be unbolting everything so it won't be as good as if it was all done before assembled, but nothing I can do about that now unless I want to dissassemble 1/2 the truck, which I don't.

I asked about that and he said the final coat which is some kind of semi flexible epoxy coats the joints and prevents oxygen. 

I know it's not perfect but I think it will be a whole lot better than nothing and should extend the life to a reasonable time frame for the truck. I'm also planning to take Kevins advice and after a couple of years I'll get some fisholene and blast anything that looks like it could use it. Pretty sure I won't have to worry about rust any more.

• Like 1

From their site -

"How does it work?

A pair of metallic wires (zinc, or zinc alloy) are melted together by electric current, causing the metal to arc. A jet of compressed air through the molten metal sprays a fine atomised metal coating over the prepared surface which solidifies instantly. The result is a dense, shield-like cover with an extremely high degree of bond strength. At a coating thickness of 75 microns, it has a length of protection three times longer than normal hot dip galvanising."

I got verbally quoted $2,300 + GST but when I got the bill it was $2,450 + GST. More money than I really want to spend but I'd rather get it done once, properly, and forget about rust.

I had emphasized to Autoblast that I plan keeping the vehicle long term and wanted a thorough job done, and if the price went over, just go ahead. The bill was broken down sandblasting $840, metal spray $500, epoxy flexicote and black top coat $910, and cavity protection $200. 

Mahindras fault really, let's see what happens in a few years when all the people who did nothing about rust, go back to Mahindra with vehicles that have rusted beyond repair.

Removing and replacing the ezyloader relatively simple other than I don't have anything that can hold the weight of it, so I did that at one of my bee site owners house who runs an engineering business at home. I was supposed to pay him but it was the day after the storm and he had no power so I gave him my generator to use, in return he said he didn't want paying for pulling the ezyloader. But I got to go back there monday to put the ezyloader back on and I'll insist on paying him but I don't think it will break the bank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...