Alastair

Show Your Truck

does AA do call outs when its covered in bees?

AA never used to insure you if you went off the tarseal !

just remember that it may not be the trailer that fails. seen vehicles where trailer issues have caused tow vehicle chassis failure.

the annoying thing is the trailer industry. they don't use good gear cause no ones asks for it. customers want big heavy stuff that doesn't break when they put double the load on, not gear that actually works correctly.

frustrating when your trying to build something that will handle the rough stuff and all they got is old rejected designs other countries won't use.

Is your background engineering?

I could easily build a tandem trailer with lovely soft suspension etc.

However it would be a nightmare with a crane attached.

In theory it could have outriggers but in practice someone would end up driving off with them still down and that would do some real damage.

Its all about design compromises

It's always interesting reading @Philbee and @tristan comments when they both get going . It's like who is going to back down first. :cool:

It's always interesting reading @Philbee and @tristan comments when they both get going . It's like who is going to back down first. :cool:

Na mate I have no intention of being dragged into a protracted debate here.

What is, is.

I've got 100 boxes to put out tomorrow and another 200 to build from scratch in the next 6 days ( built about 1000 in the last 3 months), A crane to finish and various business matters to wrap up.

A shearers quarters to paint inside and out, a woolshed to make bird proof, Queens to breed and more mats to make.

I have about 500 mating Nucs but is that enough?

I simply cant worry about things that I cant change because for one I dont have the energy.

trailers engineered LOL :rofl:

amazing you can actually build a road going vehicle from scratch and gets nothing more than a quick look over before it goes on the road.

i have family that builds them. farm stuff, trucks etc. i just problem solve ;)

crane should be ok with standard springs. most of them are so short and stiff that sideways movements is really limited.

biggest problem with yours looks like equalizing. it helps a lot with those steep little bits like your vid, keep the tires on the ground and avoid the weight shift due to wheel not carrying the weight. with the t3 axle when the rear two come off the ground the rear weight is now using front axle as centre point and trying to lift the towball. probably going from 100kg downward tow ball weight to 400kg upwards. when front axle come off the ground the tow ball weight will shoot way up.

ideally you should be able to put the tow ball into the ground before the rear wheels lift off.

part of that is suspension travel, but also tire position (closer the tires are the better) and long draw bar.

it doesn't have to be a compromise. unless your using it for something it was never designed for and then you will pay double the price in the end.

I simply cant worry about things that I cant change.

its handy to know what the problems are before it breaks. you can always have spares and backups ready.

the discussion is always good for others watching so they don't end up with the same issues.

• Like 1

I agree with you @okthen. They both make very interesting points and I am not going to get into this discussion either way.

I notice no one has mentioned helicopters for moving hives.

Is that because this is a truck thread.

I wonder how many of the forum members use them .

Do these helli sites have road access too.

Also notice there is not a lot of contribution from the normally vocal ladies on this thread too

Also notice there is not a lot of contribution from the normally vocal ladies on this thread too

I have mates in a Manuka heli operation.

They fly them as short a distance as possible and the hives go in very strong.

The ground crew all wear bee suits.

The pallets of hives come out of the Manuka at up to 1100kg.

The cost of flying per Kg of Honey is high.

Helicopters are expensive ,ie +$2500/hr for 1t lift capability , but as Phil said keeping the distance as short as possible and well organised groung crew , you would be suprised how much work you can do in an hr . For blocks with high grade manuka , but poor access , then helicopters are the only option .

LOL I'm here.. just couldn't find any photos on my computer - Kev must have them. Found a bit on our facebook page though.

Our workhorse team consists of Olly, Dolly, Lofty and Chief.

Olly is our Mitsubishi L200 ute. He ain't pretty, he ain't got power windows, or power steering, or air conditioning, or 4wd.. or .. anything much modern really... and he only carries half a tonne (and a bit)... but he goes and goes.

Dolly is my hand truck/trolley.. which is I love beyond reason for the lifting she saves me (no pic).

Lofty is the winch hoist and cradle that Kevin and my Dad built together, for about $800, which makes pollination moving a one person job.

And Chief is our 2 tonne Steelchief trailer, which I can't find a photo of right now... but much the same as the one that Pinnacle hires.

10462629_1006340456053686_2092418682521357882_n.jpg.6eed83cdc6cf19d3128cb3940b13adc6.jpg

994384_675518322469236_1208095805_n.jpg.01acdb074dac7a84a26ed084acd38101.jpg

994384_675518322469236_1208095805_n.jpg.01acdb074dac7a84a26ed084acd38101.jpg

10462629_1006340456053686_2092418682521357882_n.jpg.6eed83cdc6cf19d3128cb3940b13adc6.jpg

• Like 6

Lofty's arm can be mounted on either side of the truck, but also extends about another metre, so we have good reach either side of the truck.

Cradle size is adjustable and can take up to four boxes high, and we have extender pipes to raise the height of the arm as well. Minimum height means we can drive under kiwifruit canopies.

The only significant improvement to Lofty would be to have it mounted at the tail and a longer reach, so it could service a trailer as well. But realistically I don't use Lofty for harvesting, the only time it would be useful to carry more hives is going into kiwifruit... but ######ed if I'd want to drag Chief around those tight blocks anyway.

• Like 1

I find lifting one full super a mission. I could not imagine doing it all day.

But I am old

I find lifting one full super a mission. I could not imagine doing it all day.

But I am old

59 is the new 39. Or something like that...

• Like 1

LOL I'm here.. just couldn't find any photos on my computer - Kev must have them. Found a bit on our facebook page though.

Our workhorse team consists of Olly, Dolly, Lofty and Chief.

Olly is our Mitsubishi L200 ute. He ain't pretty, he ain't got power windows, or power steering, or air conditioning, or 4wd.. or .. anything much modern really... and he only carries half a tonne (and a bit)... but he goes and goes.

Dolly is my hand truck/trolley.. which is I love beyond reason for the lifting she saves me (no pic).

Lofty is the winch hoist and cradle that Kevin and my Dad built together, for about $800, which makes pollination moving a one person job.

And Chief is our 2 tonne Steelchief trailer, which I can't find a photo of right now... but much the same as the one that Pinnacle hires.

[ATTACH=full]11570[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]11571[/ATTACH]

Nice deejaycee.

We'll have to be careful about confusion over our hives - funny to see the blue spray painted one in your pick, with grey background and duct tape. I have a lot exactly the same, only difference is most of my duct tape is black, red and green - but the blue spray on grey background is almost identical!

Lucky mine are palletised...

Thanks for the info.

Do they last for a while, i.e. can you take it off and put it on your next ute?

Sorry Jezza, I realise the conversation has moved on, but I've been away.

The answer is "i don't know - yet". First one i've had, no signs of wear and tear from first couple of seasons, so here's hoping it keeps on keeping on for a while.

That's interesting, if a new crane is 10Kish and a new ute is 40Kish, and the crane potentially lasts a couple of utes, it starts to look comparatively affordable.

I guess like most things it depends what you are doing; if you are doing pollination, or chasing manuka down the country it makes more sense than if you are trying to produce multi-floral honey from stationary hives, or are a Queen producer. And of course it probably depends on the size of your wallet and the state of your back!

• Like 1

That's interesting, if a new crane is 10Kish and a new ute is 40Kish, and the crane potentially lasts a couple of utes, it starts to look comparatively affordable.

I guess like most things it depends what you are doing; if you are doing pollination, or chasing manuka down the country it makes more sense than if you are trying to produce multi-floral honey from stationary hives, or are a Queen producer. And of course it probably depends on the size of your wallet and the state of your back!

Keep in mind there are two aspects or uses for cranes.

First is the loading and unloading of hives individually or by the pallet.

This work is best suited to either a Hiab type crane or a simple davit Crane like DJC has.

Then there is the hive working crane such as the Ezi lift.

The crane to suit the individual depends on the individuals needs.

A multi purpose crane may be a 200KG Ezi lift and they are more like 22K

Sorry @Philbee , the two uses are:

1). Loading and unloading hives

2). Working the hive?

I can't seem to find a manufacturer of an Ezi-lift via google.

Keep in mind there are two aspects or uses for cranes.

First is the loading and unloading of hives individually or by the pallet.

This work is best suited to either a Hiab type crane or a simple davit Crane like DJC has.

Then there is the hive working crane such as the Ezi lift.

The crane to suit the individual depends on the individuals needs.

A multi purpose crane may be a 200KG Ezi lift and they are more like 22K

Can you clarify the two different uses you mention please (for those of us that just think a crane lifts stuff).

Mostly I use mine for lifting palletised hives for chasing different honeys or pollination, but I work the hives by hand.

If anyone is interested, lifting capacity of my crane at different reach as follows;

1.10m 990kg

1.98m 540kg

2.85m 370kg

3.73m 250kg

Can struggle with pallet of hives that are double or triple box and contain honey, at full stretch. In the few cases I've had that happen, I shift the ute between lifts. Not ideal, but also doesn't happen often.

• Like 2

Sorry @Philbee , the two uses are:

1). Loading and unloading hives

2). Working the hive?

I can't seem to find a manufacturer of an Ezi-lift via google.

You beat me to it Jezza...

FYI there is also some accounting trickery you can do to spread cost and make the ute+crane option look even more attractive. I'm not going to go into it as I'm not an accountant or financial adviser, so don't want to be caught giving advice I shouldn't, but I would say with this size expense you should involve a competent accountant in the process.

Effectively I got my set-up for minimal up-front cost and an ongoing cost which is manageable.

For building a small one myself for lifting single hives are there any OSH issues or can I just do it how I want it?

You beat me to it Jezza...

I think the second use may be removing honey boxes, i.e. working a hive in place. Looking forward to @Philbee 's reply.

I don't think it's a secret that the company I work for flies hives in. I don't think I can mention numbers but we will be flying for 7 days starting the middle of this week. The hard work is getting the hives ready, supered and on to the truck and trailer units each night. None of the sites have track access

• Like 4

For building a small one myself for lifting single hives are there any OSH issues or can I just do it how I want it?

You can do it how you want it shouldn't be a problem, if you have employees using it then you will have Work Safe to deal with..eg Training in regards to the correct and safe operating of the lifter .. identifying hazards associated with using this type of equipment....and the paperwork goes on...

Just had a dose of all this today with new job.

I've been dreaming up all sorts of ideas for building a hive lifter but only got as far as buying an electric winch and accumulating steel of which has been used of other things :(

Nice deejaycee.

We'll have to be careful about confusion over our hives - funny to see the blue spray painted one in your pick, with grey background and duct tape. I have a lot exactly the same, only difference is most of my duct tape is black, red and green - but the blue spray on grey background is almost identical!

Lucky mine are palletised...

:rolleyes: that probably explains why for the last couple of years people have been seeing my hives in locations where I don't have hives.

Box colour varies, but all of our boxes, brood and supers, have been electric blue graffitied for nine years.

The duct tape is an exception - just a leaky box on that one.

• Like 1