• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got a new bee truck today. 1929 Willys Overland Whippet.

It’s a very long time since I had a Ute . Now I have one again . I love it 

Got truck and just waiting for sign writing 

Posted Images

Ok it's coming to the point I need a flat deck trailer I've been using other people's long enough.

Now we are not new to building trailers but this is the thing that I've been working through my head could I use two rear ends off the IRS commodes.

The new trailer is only for 2.5ton using the IRS I can have 4 wheel brakes and as they are fully contained as one would speed up build time and cheep

50 minutes ago, glynn said:

Ok it's coming to the point I need a flat deck trailer I've been using other people's long enough.

Now we are not new to building trailers but this is the thing that I've been working through my head could I use two rear ends off the IRS commodes.

The new trailer is only for 2.5ton using the IRS I can have 4 wheel brakes and as they are fully contained as one would speed up build time and cheep

Ive said this before and Ill say it again, If you want a trailer that will ride silky smooth over harsh tracks at any speed, build a triple.

There is no way that I would ever go back to a bucking tandem, ever.
It is a mystery at first as to how these triple ride so well on hard springs but you soon work it out.

Whats more, because the triple has such a solid wheel base it supports the truck over rough fast tracks and a triple is also ideal for a crane trailer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
58 minutes ago, glynn said:

the problem is commodor rear ends don't handle 1500kg (it actually needs to be higher than that due to no load sharing). rear end of cars are quite light so suspension arms are fairly thin.

your best and easiest option is go get tandem load sharing suspension, the eye type not slipper spring. with flat deck you have plenty of height for suspension so use it.

2 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Ive said this before and Ill say it again, If you want a trailer that will ride silky smooth over harsh tracks at any speed, build a triple.

There is no way that I would ever go back to a bucking tandem, ever.
It is a mystery at first as to how these triple ride so well on hard springs but you soon work it out.

Whats more, because the triple has such a solid wheel base it supports the truck over rough fast tracks and a triple is also ideal for a crane trailer.

its not the tandem suspension thats bucking, it will be the braking system slamming you up the rear.

with triples you have double axle braking as one axle comes off the ground quite often, but most people only have single braking on tandems. combined with badly setup coupling they have a habit of slamming the crap out of the tow vehicle.

i've used a lot of tandems and none where bucking that wasn't a braking issue.

It will be a small flat bed so it won't get over loaded so no room for the big three our ute can only tow 2.5 ton so till I move to a truck I'm happy so they won't handle the load to easy I'll price up a tadem axe set with brakes on all 4 might need to be electric drums

55 minutes ago, Alastair said:

My tandem trailer made by Reid, the brakes are in the back axle. The guy at Reid explained to me that everyone thinks they should be in the front axle but that causes bucking.

they actually perform better on the front. can't recall why a the mo. however brakes on both axles is far better. i've locked up single axle brakes before.

with single you have one pair of fairly small disks trying stop 2.5 ton. with override brakes the brakes get forced on harder until they provide enough braking. so you either cook the brakes or lock them up and have no brakes.

what causes the bucking is the actuator, commonly is the adjuster is to far out, so there is a big speed difference between tow vehicle and trailer before the brakes start applying. this means they slam on and because they slam on they slam off. this is compound by the fact that most override couplings have no dampeners.

drum brakes are under powered antiques that should be left in a museum !

How well would a override brake set up work with 4 wheel brakes if set up well in my mind it should spread the braking Force but would the master cylinder need to be different the seem to come in the inch only I've had a trailer lock it's wheels coming down Porter's pass it would be good to spread the load over 4 wheels rather than two. It seems all the electric set ups come in drums . 

6 hours ago, glynn said:

How well would a override brake set up work with 4 wheel brakes if set up well in my mind it should spread the braking Force but would the master cylinder need to be different the seem to come in the inch only I've had a trailer lock it's wheels coming down Porter's pass it would be good to spread the load over 4 wheels rather than two. It seems all the electric set ups come in drums . 

dual axle requires bigger master cylinder. easily available.

considering we drive offroad, mud, wet grass, gravel, you want all tires to be doing the braking.

those with the small low profile wheels, the tires have such low grip due to their small size that you really need all wheels braked.

you can get electric/hydraulic braking systems. there is a thread on here about it. someone got a really good price on a setup.

downside to any good electric setup is wiring each vehicle up for it and the controllers.

avoid at all cost the trailer mounted controllers. thats the electronic version of override brakes and you get the worst of both.

• Good Info 1

Is it worth to build a fifth wheeler style trailer(10-12m) for bkping? Maybe the tandem axles moved a bit more rear - and double the wheels?

Do we have the utes(not the North Americans) here in NZ with the right towing capacity(and double cab 4x4)?

20 hours ago, Kiwi Bee said:

Is it worth to build a fifth wheeler style trailer(10-12m) for bkping? Maybe the tandem axles moved a bit more rear - and double the wheels?

Do we have the utes(not the North Americans) here in NZ with the right towing capacity(and double cab 4x4)?

i'm not sure. the downside is loosing the ute load space. fifth wheel has the bit that goes above the ute deck, but that may be difficult to load gear onto. otherwise you need a longer trailer to fit the ute load as well as the trailer load. a long rig is not that easy to tow around tight spots. with high weight loads like supers, you could use a shorter trailer easy enough.

but the biggest issue is cost and its restricted to the vehicle rigged up for it.

utes certainly can work with them. there is a few camper 5th wheelers around. weight will be limited to 3500kg for a light trailer and modern utes are rated for it (tho check the GCM rating).

• Thanks 1
  • 5 weeks later...
On ‎18‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 11:08 AM, Ronny said:

Here with all extras it was even a bit ore than 100k.

It's very hard to find MT tyres in this size and for this loading capacity!

@dansar:

Loaded the 4WD works very well. Empty it's useless because 65% of the power are going to the rear axle.

With this crane in the back it will allways have enough weight.

That crane gets my heard beat up. What's the price on it. any second hand one around.

Dunno but doubt it.

I'm on a South African 4WD forum cos they got a lot of mahindras over there including some very old ones, I asked about rust nobody got any.

But after I discussed the rust issue in my one on this forum, another Kiwi pm'ed me and said he's got rust in his one too.

So maybe a bad batch of them came here I don't know. 

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1
On 3/1/2018 at 11:17 AM, glynn said:

If you drive off road towing a laden trailer with over ride brakes, sooner or later the trailer will drag you to a miserable heap at the bottom of a steep track.
Off road trailer brakes must include an in cab controller for use when reversing down an incline.

Edited by Philbee
18 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Dunno but doubt it.

I'm on a South African 4WD forum cos they got a lot of mahindras over there including some very old ones, I asked about rust nobody got any.

But after I discussed the rust issue in my one on this forum, another Kiwi pm'ed me and said he's got rust in his one too.

So maybe a bad batch of them came here I don't know. 

The north Islands climate is very hard on many metal protection systems, humidity being the main problem and coastal areas.

• Agree 1
20 hours ago, Alastair said:

True, but I also think that the chassis on my truck came with a crap paint job.

I guess Mahindra still have a way to go in regards to improving the durability of there metal protection systems much the same as the Japanese car industry  has improved from the 70's through to now.

As the quality and durability of a product improves this is reflected in purchase price.

• Like 1

Ah yes, however it could be said that the Japanese had to invent the processes whereas in later years those processes were probably commercially available to companies that  made the effort to obtain them.
I see it as being about culture
The Japanese have a culture of pride and determination where other cultures have less so
This is why I would be surprised to see  the Chinese ever eclipse the Japanese in Technical brilliance

Edited by Philbee

<<As the quality and durability of a product improves this is reflected in purchase price. >>

Yes therein the problem. 

I like my Mahindra cos it's simple but I see the latest one got quite a few electronic nic nacs added plus better quality in some areas, but also, a higher price.

Edited by Alastair