• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got a new bee truck today. 1929 Willys Overland Whippet.

It’s a very long time since I had a Ute . Now I have one again . I love it 

Got truck and just waiting for sign writing 

Posted Images

I see the Ford ranger/Mazda bt50 from mid 2016 on are not so good in the long grass at the moment . Sounds like the diesel particulate filter on the exhaust collects a nice bundle of grass , then turns said vehicle into a flaming torch !  I wonder if  they will hand out free fire extinguishers to tide the owners over till the "fix" rolls out . Think I will stick with my prado for a while yet .  

• Agree 1
58 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

Yes but a cruiser can handle 48 boxes on the deck and tow 144 boxes on a trailor making 192 boxes of honey in one trip to the extraction plant taking almost 1000 boxes in 5 trips

I don't think I'd be so cruel to my cruiser.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Maru Hoani said:

Yes but a cruiser can handle 48 boxes on the deck and tow 144 boxes on a trailor making 192 boxes of honey in one trip to the extraction plant taking almost 1000 boxes in 5 trips

grossly over loaded if the boxes are full FD's.

the load a cruiser can legally take is not much more than what most utes can take.

9 hours ago, Jas said:

I see the Ford ranger/Mazda bt50 from mid 2016 on are not so good in the long grass at the moment . Sounds like the diesel particulate filter on the exhaust collects a nice bundle of grass , then turns said vehicle into a flaming torch !  I wonder if  they will hand out free fire extinguishers to tide the owners over till the "fix" rolls out . Think I will stick with my prado for a while yet .  

FORD = Fire On Road Daily 

DPF on my old Isuzu truck used to turn the pipe blue doing a regen no black smoke but man I wouldn't like to drive round here at the moment

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Lindaloo26 said:

I reckon it would be great. Nice deck height.  Very expensive new here- over 100k.  Fit some good off road tyres. 

There was one of these on display at last years Mystery Creek Field Days. I helped set up the display for Mercedes. The vehicle was on road tyres and struggled in 4wD to get up on to the concrete blocks used to raise it up on one side. They have a huge deck on them though. Plenty of room for a crane and all the hives, boxes you need to carry.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Lindaloo26 said:

I reckon it would be great. Nice deck height.  Very expensive new here- over 100k.  Fit some good off road tyres. 

Here with all extras it was even a bit ore than 100k.

It's very hard to find MT tyres in this size and for this loading capacity!

@dansar:

Loaded the 4WD works very well. Empty it's useless because 65% of the power are going to the rear axle.

With this crane in the back it will allways have enough weight.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
On 10/23/2017 at 8:11 PM, Alastair said:

When I got the truck I had a good look at the chassis, it was 100% painted. But I think it's thinner in those areas and probably crap paint that seems to have got thinner or dissapeared entirely.

I have already talked to a panelbeater, and the guys at Mahindra. The panelbeater just said "spray some (mild profanity) on it", and Mahindra weren't a great help either. So decided to consult the panel of experts here at NZBees :). I'm sure their advice will be as good as anything I'll get.

I would just go ahead and spray fisholene all over it, but know that once that has been done there will be no going back to any rust converter type product. So going to take all opinions on it first, then decide where to go.

I had an uncle who always had his new cars sprays with black tar like anti rust. 

Had I known, I would have just got it done when it was new. Anyhow, live and learn, if I get another Mahindra I'll do that.

I'm a member of a South African 4wd forum because they have a lot of Mahindras over there, and some of them are pretty old and pretty high mileage. I asked if anyone has had rust issues, and nobody had. Either we have a different environment here, or a dud batch got sent through.

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 2
  • Good Info 1
6 hours ago, Alanbee said:

You may want to check the price I was looking at these also, VW Crafter base maybe an option as well.

The Crafter max comes just with a 2l Diesel.

The Mercedes has a V6 3l Diesel. That was the reason to chose this one for me.

I will see how it works in the season...

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2017 at 9:54 AM, tristan said:

grossly over loaded if the boxes are full FD's.

the load a cruiser can legally take is not much more than what most utes can take.

I only use 3/4 as supers and they usually average out around 21kg each making just over 1000kgs on the back and 3000 on the trailor

Edited by Maru Hoani
Spelt eacheach
  • Like 1