• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got a new bee truck today. 1929 Willys Overland Whippet.

It’s a very long time since I had a Ute . Now I have one again . I love it 

Got truck and just waiting for sign writing 

Posted Images

Ok, the Subaru got “upgraded”, and the hippie beekeeper is quite happy with the trade. Surely, I miss the AWD and the apparent relief of petrol stations. But my concience is at peace with our choice. Good for us, good for Bees, good for the planet. And apart from the initial investment, pretty cheap to run too!!

E858F22C-7DD1-4EA3-989E-A602DCABC4B9.jpeg

E7DEED8E-1AFE-4CA3-8588-301E8212FA94.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks all who gave advice about rusty chassis. I went with the blaster option and took the Mahindra into Autoblast for a quote. Could see some of their other work in progress and looked pretty impressive. So they are going to blast the chassis on the outside down to bare metal, spray on galv which they say is 50/50 zinc / aluminium, then paint over that with a black epoxy to make it look nice. The inside of the rails get "dusted" which means they put some kind of nozzle thingy down inside the rails to clean out what they can, then they spray inside with a thixotrophic epoxy resin, it's thixotrophic so it can continue over time to penetrate small gaps.

This will cost $2,350, which I'm disappointed I have to spend after only 3 years, but it's going to put my mind to rest about the chassis. The only downside it takes them a week to do it, so it will have to wait till the off season.

• Like 2
  • Good Info 1
6 hours ago, Sil29er said:

Ok, the Subaru got “upgraded”, and the hippie beekeeper is quite happy with the trade. Surely, I miss the AWD and the apparent relief of petrol stations. But my concience is at peace with our choice. Good for us, good for Bees, good for the planet. And apart from the initial investment, pretty cheap to run too!!

E858F22C-7DD1-4EA3-989E-A602DCABC4B9.jpeg

E7DEED8E-1AFE-4CA3-8588-301E8212FA94.jpeg

paddock racer..... we've got a cheap cruiser on trademe !

• Like 1
8 hours ago, glynn said:

Still cheaper than a cruiser

Ha ha starting to wonder. 

However a few weeks back I looked up the price of the latest cruiser, a tad over eighty one thousand dollars :o. Then there would be the necessary toys like bullbar towbar winch and whatever. Getting up there go to say. The Mahindra has now done 3 years and 80 thousand km's, and is worth about 10 thousand less than I paid for it. Is that cheaper than a cruiser?

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, Kiwi Bee said:

Maybe someone already posted about however I came across to this ute today. It is available in NZ from next year.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/news/94874526/mercedesbenz-xclass-pickup-truck-revealed-nzbound-early2018

thats just a blinged up navara with merc pricing.

might be nice for a family wagon but not so much for hauling hives around with.

• Good Info 1
9 hours ago, Alastair said:

For any quantity of bees, you need a flat deck. Not sure if one could be fitted onto that.

for real work you would go with the G Professional (as I mentioned eralier here) you won't see those around remuera, that's for sure :)

can be a real flatbed

unfortunately that is insanely priced. 

8 hours ago, Gabor said:

for real work you would go with the G Professional (as I mentioned eralier here) you won't see those around remuera, that's for sure :)

can be a real flatbed

unfortunately that is insanely priced. 

How are you going with the Bees @Gabor? Did you find some more