1 hour ago, Over Worker said:

A concrete truck in our fleet had a problem with its bowl control electrics one day, and it didn't help when the driver only discovered the problem after an hours journey to the job that the mixer bowl had not been turning and the concrete had gone hard..high spec concrete. Brand new bowl only been on truck three weeks 15k for another one.

Over a period of three months the driver got to know the interior of his non turning mixer bowl intimately cleaning out the hard concrete.

Last Thursday I was assigned to drive this truck, first three loads went without a problem traveling back from Hamilton after fourth load  empty just with wash water the mixer bowl had stopped. No amount of fiddling around with plugs switches buttons was going to make it work until I hit a bump in the road and the bowl started turning sporadically. 

Got to yard and had a really good look at all connections then found some of the long lead that comes with the remote had gone under the drivers seat...three wires in the lead were cut, more than likely with the suspension of the seat...an expensive little problem.

Did he use a Jack hammer to clean the concrete out ?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got a new bee truck today. 1929 Willys Overland Whippet.

It’s a very long time since I had a Ute . Now I have one again . I love it 

Got truck and just waiting for sign writing 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Beefriendly said:

I was at work all day and arrived home as the last was being poured at 3.45 pm ish, that was an older truck.

It was a reasonable size job of approx 39m2 in gun smoke

Yep, we accepted the quote back in May/June

the guys were here from Mon prepping and we are greatful for the settled weather. 

Thursday was perfect pouring conditions, equally the gentle rain today is ideal.

A good sized driveway..8 truck loads. Not familiar with the colour. The  most popular colour we deliver is black oxide in full black ,half black or quarter black. I think the worst colour I've delivered for a driveway was yellow. 

Rust question -

Just noticed on the mahindra chassis, some rust.

I'm wanting to keep this vehicle for the long haul, and wondering what the best treatment would be, that I can do myself.

Vehicle is 3 years old now. The chassis came painted black, looked good at the time but now seems it wasn't a quality job. The paint has not flaked, but just seems to have gone real thin. Has never been in the surf or a beach, but often has a coating of mud. At this stage the rust is just in a few spots and is what you would call minor surface rust. However if I ignore it, no doubt eventually it will become something of consequence. 

The places it is are pretty inaccessable to sand or whatever, and I'm thinking that inside the rails are also likely affected. So the ideal would be something that could be sprayed and would penetrate. Any thoughts?

Edited by Alastair
4 hours ago, Over Worker said:

Got to yard and had a really good look at all connections then found some of the long lead that comes with the remote had gone under the drivers seat...three wires in the lead were cut, more than likely with the suspension of the seat...an expensive little problem.

Fisholene . All my vehicles I spray wherever I can including inside body panels with a spray gun.

Edited by yesbut
  • Agree 2
51 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Rust question -

Just noticed on the mahindra chassis, some rust.

I'm wanting to keep this vehicle for the long haul, and wondering what the best treatment would be, that I can do myself.

Vehicle is 3 years old now. The chassis came painted black, looked good at the time but now seems it wasn't a quality job. The paint has not flaked, but just seems to have gone real thin. Has never been in the surf or a beach, but often has a coating of mud. At this stage the rust is just in a few spots and is what you would call minor surface rust. However if I ignore it, no doubt eventually it will become something of consequence. 

The places it is are pretty inaccessable to sand or whatever, and I'm thinking that inside the rails are also likely affected. So the ideal would be something that could be sprayed and would penetrate. Any thoughts?

got any pics?

there is rust conversion products that you can paint on. only works on surface rust.

also some rust conversion paints as well.

might pay to talk to a panelbeater/painter and see whats best course of action. they may have a paint you can paint over that will resist impacts from stones a lot better.

inside chassis will need washing out as they fill with dirt/stones.

http://www.prolan.co.nz/product_details/p/76/c/54 plenty of other brands around. but this stuff is thicker than most. i would spray some in the sills as well.

Thanks, sounds like good advice.

I do have some fisholene in a can that must be 30 years old. As I recall it goes on pretty thick, I need penetration so thought maybe I thin it with petrol or something for the first coat and apply with a garden weed sprayer, these sprayers are only something like $10 so could chuck it afterwards.

Re Tristans idea of the stuff that turns rust black, that would be ideal but with the paint and whatever that really should be cleaned first but is too hard to get at some of these areas I'm not sure it could do a 100% job. 

I'm thinking maybe fisholene, and I do a new application once each year. If I go that way will probably wait for some better weather then hose out the chassis rails, let it dry a few days then give it a good blast.

Anyway here's a couple pics, any further comment welcome. If you got a good idea about how to apply that rust converter stuff Tristan I'd be glad to hear it, would like something more permanent than oil, if it could be done.

IMG_1077.jpg.6db5b638531e65abc4dd71aa40531299.jpgIMG_1084.jpg.9c97b1d36f7bf9d47d9095b0638f1ae4.jpg

Edited by Alastair
10 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Thanks, sounds like good advice.

I do have some fisholene in a can that must be 30 years old. As I recall it goes on pretty thick, I need penetration so thought maybe I thin it with petrol or something for the first coat and apply with a garden weed sprayer, these sprayers are only something like $10 so could chuck it afterwards.

Re Tristans idea of the stuff that turns rust black, that would be ideal but with the paint and whatever that really should be cleaned first but is too hard to get at some of these areas I'm not sure it could do a 100% job. 

I'm thinking maybe fisholene, and I do a new application once each year. If I go that way will probably wait for some better weather then hose out the chassis rails, let it dry a few days then give it a good blast.

Anyway here's a couple pics, any further comment welcome. If you got a good idea about how to apply that rust converter stuff Tristan I'd be glad to hear it, would like something more permanent than oil, if it could be done.

IMG_1077.jpg.6db5b638531e65abc4dd71aa40531299.jpgIMG_1084.jpg.9c97b1d36f7bf9d47d9095b0638f1ae4.jpg

those areas look like they just havn't been painted at all. really odd the sheltered parts of the chassis are rusting.

afaik you can spray the rust converter on. i would go chat with a panel beater.

• Agree 2

When I got the truck I had a good look at the chassis, it was 100% painted. But I think it's thinner in those areas and probably crap paint that seems to have got thinner or dissapeared entirely.

I have already talked to a panelbeater, and the guys at Mahindra. The panelbeater just said "spray some (mild profanity) on it", and Mahindra weren't a great help either. So decided to consult the panel of experts here at NZBees :). I'm sure their advice will be as good as anything I'll get.

I would just go ahead and spray fisholene all over it, but know that once that has been done there will be no going back to any rust converter type product. So going to take all opinions on it first, then decide where to go.

Edited by Alastair

they may have missed an undercoat or poorly prepped metal. remember the early NZ toyotas that rusted out.

i'll have to go dig through the garage and see if i still have the stuff.

the other thing is spray it with zinc paint. you can get it in black.

Actually that zinc stuff is pretty awesome I did a whole trailer with it once and it lasted many years just like it was galvanised. Not sure though, if the problem areas in this chassis are too far gone for that now.

What do you think Tristan about rust converter on rust that bad? Inside the rails, where it cannot be seen, may be even worse, probably not painted at all.

The guy at Mahindra who I spoke to about it, one of the managing directors, used to work for Toyota. He told me that after Toyota had rust problems with farmers driving through cow poop all the time, Toyota NZ asked for and got, trucks with galvanised chassis. The buyer had to pre order though.

2 minutes ago, Alastair said:

He told me that after Toyota had rust problems with farmers driving through cow poop all the time, Toyota NZ asked for and got, trucks with galvanised chassis

i havn't heard that one. sounds like BS, but that may be very very early on. sometimes they do one offs. seen guys do it, just not any factory do it.

their paint prep on the chassis is usually really good. you only get rust due to stones taking the paint off.

7 minutes ago, Alastair said:

What do you think Tristan about rust converter on rust that bad? Inside the rails, where it cannot be seen, may be even worse, probably not painted at all.

it looks like just surface rust. that should clean up ok. might pay to clean it up a bit by hand and see how thick it is. rust converter only deals with thin surface rust.

• Agree 1

There are companies that specialize in under body work it's just a matter of finding one..from what I can see Mahindra don't have a very good chassis paint system reminds me of the early Land Rovers and the rust problems they had.

A light sand blast  and an industrial 2k primer and topcoat system would do nicely. 

I had a Falcon xr6 that got warning on one wof for underbody rust (stone chips ) and they don't have under seal these days, so it got a good underbody sand down and the 2k system at my work of the time. Had that car for six years with no further problems. 

• Like 1

Checked that stuff out Jared, looks like good stuff.

Thanks Phil I was hoping you would weigh in. Yes I've been thinking go to a professional. But I don't know who the professionals are for this. There's sand blasting guys, but not sure who does the painting / rustproofing, I'm hoping to get inside the rails dealt with also. Which I'm thinking would need to be blown into them in some kind of fog, or similar.

Another member pm'ed me and said the chassis of his Mahindra has major rust, it must be a weakness in them. He went to a vehicle assessor cos he is arguing with Mahindra about it, the assessor told him the chassis is well built and strong, just wasn't rust proofed properly.

Seems a shame to pinch a few pennies on the paint. o.O

Edited by Alastair
50 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Checked that stuff out Jared, looks like good stuff.

Thanks Phil I was hoping you would weigh in. Yes I've been thinking go to a professional. But I don't know who the professionals are for this. There's sand blasting guys, but not sure who does the painting / rustproofing, I'm hoping to get inside the rails dealt with also. Which I'm thinking would need to be blown into them in some kind of fog, or similar.

Another member pm'ed me and said the chassis of his Mahindra has major rust, it must be a weakness in them. He went to a vehicle assessor cos he is arguing with Mahindra about it, the assessor told him the chassis is well built and strong, just wasn't rust proofed properly.

Seems a shame to pinch a few pennies on the paint. o.O

The sand blasters are usually tied closely to the industrial painters The Taupo outfit is one in the same.

Ive had a lot to do with these sorts of guys and am sure a good sand blaster will guide you through the whole thing

Edited by Philbee