@Kiwifruiter , the 1978 datsun my son brought for a guy in a car park at night  had a new warrant.

But the battery was held in by a bungy cord and the spare tyre well was so rusted it's a wonder the tyre didn't fall out.

And there was a lot more .

My other son brought a Subaru that was not much better.

I would never  buy a car privately in Christchurch that my mechanic had not looked over.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got a new bee truck today. 1929 Willys Overland Whippet.

It’s a very long time since I had a Ute . Now I have one again . I love it 

Got truck and just waiting for sign writing 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

@Kiwifruiter , the 1978 datsun my son brought for a guy in a car park at night  had a new warrant.

But the battery was held in by a bungy cord and the spare tyre well was so rusted it's a wonder the tyre didn't fall out.

And there was a lot more .

My other son brought a Subaru that was not much better.

I would never  buy a car privately in Christchurch that my mechanic had not looked over.

My green Prado shown above came from New Plymouth sight unseen purchased by mistake on trademe

It was so cheap I thought it must be a dud

When I picked it up I went straight to the gas station just up the road.

While it was filling up I walked around to the drivers side and saw a pair of legs sticking out from under it.

The seller had followed me to the gas station because he'd forgotten to reconnect the speedo.

One of the best work trucks Ive owned though

• Haha 3
  • 1 month later...

My Green truck started playing up

First the Turbo Timer wouldn't work properly then the fuel gauge sopped working

Then it started speeding up when I touched the brake pedal at 100kmhr

The the radio lights started flashing in time with the left blinker and the Park latch on the auto trans shifter started clicking on and off with the blinker also

The right blinker wouldnt work when the headlights were on and I was thinking that I may need a new truck.

Then the trailer lights stopped working.

Id like a new truck but really need to actually make some money first.

It turns out I have a travelling companion

A Rat that has a taste for electrical wires

Edited by Philbee
  • Haha 2
42 minutes ago, Philbee said:

My Green truck started playing up

First the Turbo Timer wouldn't work properly then the fuel gauge sopped working

Then it started speeding up when I touched the brake pedal at 100kmhr

The the radio lights started flashing in time with the left blinker and the Park latch on the auto trans shifter started clicking on and off with the blinker also

The right blinker wouldnt work when the headlights were on and I was thinking that I may need a new truck.

Then the trailer lights stopped working.

Id like a new truck but really need to actually make some money first.

It turns out I have a travelling companion

A Rat that has a taste for electrical wires

Maybe the result of water blasting the inside ....?

• Good Info 1
7 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Why do rats love chewing electrical.wires.

Is it for the minerals in the wire .

Do they like getting a kick out of being shocked.

or do they just like chewing chewy stuff, like kids who chew the tyres on Lego wheels.

I can not work it out .

My electrical Mate says it is because of the fillers used in the plastic.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Once the kids found a baby wild rabbit, we think dogs killed it's mum. It was so tiny that at first we fed it warmed milk. Being essentially hand raised it was incredibly tame, and as an adult would jump on your lap to snuggle. It was allowed to come and go from the house as it wished. But we had to re hash the TV aerial wire so it was out of reach, because Peter (as she had been named before we knew the sex) just loved to bite it in half, which she could do in the blink of an eye, wires and all.

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Philbee said:

My electrical Mate says it is because of the fillers used in the plastic.

Uh HUh .... we now put mouse bait traps on the truck motors when they are not in use ..... Talon I think it is, loaded up onto nails on wooden bases. 

Edited by jamesc

A concrete truck in our fleet had a problem with its bowl control electrics one day, and it didn't help when the driver only discovered the problem after an hours journey to the job that the mixer bowl had not been turning and the concrete had gone hard..high spec concrete. Brand new bowl only been on truck three weeks 15k for another one.

Over a period of three months the driver got to know the interior of his non turning mixer bowl intimately cleaning out the hard concrete.

Last Thursday I was assigned to drive this truck, first three loads went without a problem traveling back from Hamilton after fourth load  empty just with wash water the mixer bowl had stopped. No amount of fiddling around with plugs switches buttons was going to make it work until I hit a bump in the road and the bowl started turning sporadically. 

Got to yard and had a really good look at all connections then found some of the long lead that comes with the remote had gone under the drivers seat...three wires in the lead were cut, more than likely with the suspension of the seat...an expensive little problem.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1
29 minutes ago, Over Worker said:

Last Thursday I was assigned to drive this truck, first three loads went without a problem traveling back from Hamilton after fourth load  empty just with wash water the mixer bowl had stopped. No amount of fiddling around with plugs switches buttons was going to make it work until I hit a bump in the road and the bowl started turning sporadically. 

Got to yard and had a really good look at all connections then found some of the long lead that comes with the remote had gone under the drivers seat...three wires in the lead were cut, more than likely with the suspension of the seat...an expensive little problem.

Interesting? What are the odds...

We’ve been waiting literally months for our driveway upgrade, due to weather and the steepness of it..

It was poured last Thursday in Hamilton...

18 minutes ago, Beefriendly said:

Interesting? What are the odds...

We’ve been waiting literally months for our driveway upgrade, due to weather and the steepness of it..

It was poured last Thursday in Hamilton...

What colour were the trucks? The weather has been a big hassle with a lot of concrete jobs, some jobs have just about been impossible for concrete layers to prep given the time they have to get them done.

I was at work all day and arrived home as the last was being poured at 3.45 pm ish, that was an older truck.

It was a reasonable size job of approx 39m2 in gun smoke

18 minutes ago, Over Worker said:

What colour were the trucks? The weather has been a big hassle with a lot of concrete jobs, some jobs have just about been impossible for concrete layers to prep given the time they have to get them done.

Yep, we accepted the quote back in May/June

the guys were here from Mon prepping and we are greatful for the settled weather. 

Thursday was perfect pouring conditions, equally the gentle rain today is ideal.