• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got a new bee truck today. 1929 Willys Overland Whippet.

It’s a very long time since I had a Ute . Now I have one again . I love it 

Got truck and just waiting for sign writing 

Posted Images

The weight limit for a car licence used to be 4,500kg

Interesting @ChrisM class one also includes this

a tradeperson's vehicle that has a gross laden weight of not more than 6 000 kg, provided its on-road weight does not exceed 4 500 kg

Out of school I drove a Mitsi Canter on a milk run. I had to do the run in two parts so that I didn't go over 4,500kg. So this clause has probably always been there. I just didn't know it.

Spoke with a spring guy, and he was going to add a spring. Or remove one and add a better one... can't quite remember.

Springs are probably crap- although I check to see when loaded and I hardly ever hit the rubber stops- Is that a good indicator of spring health? Overloaded- then hitting the stops?

load it up put some dust or bit of grease on the bump stop. go for a drive and check to see if its hit the stops.

typically bad springs will be sagging low when empty. the old ute had them bending the wrong way before we fixed them up.

i don't think its ever hit the bump stops since adding an extra leaf. so it could have been a little bit lighter in the springs.

that tends to be a problem with spring crowds, they tend to make springs for 4wd'ers lifting the vehicle or tradies that have gear on the ute 24/7. but as we go from completely unloaded (not even sideboards) to absolutely maxed out, which is a little bit harder to get right.

we really want a little tiny bit of lift, but stronger load leafs.

its now 6 ton.

changed to suit campervans and also ute towing trailer.

Yes, the 6t camper is also there on car licence. It is similarly limited to 4.5t on road.

So it seems that a car licence is limited to 6t gross and 4.5t on road.

Edited by Guest
Yes, the 6t camper is also there on car licence. It is similarly limited to 4.5t on road.

So it seems that a car licence is limited to 6t gross and 4.5t on road.

it used to limited to 4.5 but it was changed some years ago to 6 ton. edit: the 4.5 ton only applies to learner and restricted licenses.

a ute and trailer can be 6 ton easy enough.

Edited by Guest

For my level of beekeeping, Trev's Jimny is on the mark, I quite fancy one.

But back to serious business, I saw a Top Gear episode where the truck was horrible empty; bouncing like a pogo stick, so they loaded it up to make it drive better. A very cunning plan that worked, until they came to the first hill that was a steep one and they had to dump the load. There is no cure for that I suppose?

More HP? I imagine a long wait for one of those trucks to be out of warranty so it can be re-programmed..

Brings us back to the cruiser or getting a ht license or both (or a Jimny).

For my level of beekeeping, Trev's Jimny is on the mark, I quite fancy one.

But back to serious business, I saw a Top Gear episode where the truck was horrible empty; bouncing like a pogo stick, so they loaded it up to make it drive better. A very cunning plan that worked, until they came to the first hill that was a steep one and they had to dump the load. There is no cure for that I suppose?

More HP? I imagine a long wait for one of those trucks to be out of warranty so it can be re-programmed..

Brings us back to the cruiser or getting a ht license or both (or a Jimny).

I love my Jimny. It is perfect for what I do.

• Like 1

The Jimmy would be a good match with a bigger truck use the mini me to get round the hives till you need to carry more stuff then out comes the bigger boy. There is some catches With the trucks that fit into class one they are still a truck so there is a lot of you're goss weight is just the truck and I'm sure you still have to pay full RUCs

The above discussion is exactly why I have a Cruiser. :)

Working on getting a (good) custom trailer for the Cruiser.

Net combination capability of plus 3.5 ton depending on fixed equipment (in my case a crane) which is about 6.5 Ton gross which is class 2 license territory.

What I like is the WoF and no requirement for a log book.

• Like 2
The above discussion is exactly why I have a Cruiser. :)

Working on getting a (good) custom trailer for the Cruiser.

Net combination capability of plus 3.5 ton depending on fixed equipment (in my case a crane) which is about 6.5 Ton gross which is class 2 license territory.

What I like is the WoF and no requirement for a log book.

Lot of mass to slide on a wet track

• 3 weeks later...