• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got a new bee truck today. 1929 Willys Overland Whippet.

It’s a very long time since I had a Ute . Now I have one again . I love it 

Got truck and just waiting for sign writing 

Posted Images

I got a d Max aswell and had to upgrade the suspension because I bent it backwards and it's still rubbish. I got a 2.4L 2004 Ford courier that can handle twice what my 60000$ d Max can.

When I drove one I didnt see what all the fuss was about-I still think the mitsi triton is one of the best bang for buck new utes around however if I had a spare $40 000 burning a hole in my back pocket I would have a second hand land cruiser.

When I drove one I didnt see what all the fuss was about-I still think the mitsi triton is one of the best bang for buck new utes around however if I had a spare $40 000 burning a hole in my back pocket I would have a second hand land cruiser.

How's your mitsi going

Her that was a low shot sorry. I like the Iveco but for us it would not be worth. What I mean is both me and the wife have our ht's and the chances are one of us would be able to drive a bigger truck. You still need to get a COF for the Iveco and RUC are not much more per k for the next weight bracket. And after using like 7t Isuzu 4x4 trucks and bigger ones the running costs are not much more as well. I could chew through 200lit of diesel in one shift working them hard but still not much less than the bigger trucks

I got a d Max aswell and had to upgrade the suspension because I bent it backwards and it's still rubbish. I got a 2.4L 2004 Ford courier that can handle twice what my 60000$ d Max can.

most utes are not made to run our sort of loads. not a big job to add a leaf or air bags.

however you still have to watch your loads and how you load them.

they are light commercial vehicles not full commercial. their biggest market is city drivers not beekeepers.

What do you mean 'bent backwards"? I have one also, a crewcab. Been good, but not for big loads. 400 liters of sugar, pump/hose and feeders- it's okay. Probably 700kg and the leaf springs do flex the other way - I guess they designed to do that. Adding a spring is on my mind but I don't want lift the deck- Tristan?

Maru- the iveco

I drove one, they are a long way of the road and high cab - like 2.5 meters. It felt big.

Be excellent off road on rough tracks- locking diffs and good tyres.

My only thought was "how high would be deck be" as the the one we tried was chassis only.

Also expensive

Edited by Guest

Gto

this looks great (says me who has no clue). Elf is the N Series in NZ?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/aa/NPS_2_015_-_Flickr_-_whatcharterboat22.jpg[/quote

I think the elf is a smaller truck. Not sure if they are still producing them in 4x4. Most isuzu trucks are N series.

There are a few full time 4x4 truck on Trademe- no great ground clearance but 4x4. Canter and isuzu. Small enough for car licence.

Maru- the iveco

I drove one, they are a long way of the road and high cab - like 2.5 meters. It felt big.

Be excellent off road on rough tracks- locking diffs and good tyres.

My only thought was "how high would be deck be" as the the one we tried was chassis only.

Also expensive

The one around here has an ezyloader fitted-Your right about the high deck issue!

What do you mean 'bent backwards"? I have one also, a crewcab. Been good, but not for big loads. 400 liters of sugar, pump/hose and feeders- it's okay. Probably 700kg and the leaf springs do flex the other way - I guess they designed to do that. Adding a spring is on my mind but I don't want lift the deck- Tristan?

trouble is you actually want some extra travel. but you can get stock height higher constant load springs. down side is they are harsher when unloaded and can skip around on gravel roads. if you go for a slight lift you can go for softer springs which means it will handle fine when loaded and unloaded, but have the rear lift which can screw up the lights at night.

the other way, provided the stock springs are not weak crap then air bags can be a good way to go, provided they are used correctly.

the only thing that bugs me with a lot of the smaller trucks is they have a low powered engine with a measly 5 speed gearbox.

the could have least added a splitter.

Yes after driving one from new I would not waste my money we did work the NPS hard I've towed truck and trailers up Porter's pass with my old one and @ChrisM you need a ht for that model if you want to use it for bees

trouble is you actually want some extra travel. but you can get stock height higher constant load springs. down side is they are harsher when unloaded and can skip around on gravel roads. if you go for a slight lift you can go for softer springs which means it will handle fine when loaded and unloaded, but have the rear lift which can screw up the lights at night.

the other way, provided the stock springs are not weak crap then air bags can be a good way to go, provided they are used correctly.

Spoke with a spring guy, and he was going to add a spring. Or remove one and add a better one... can't quite remember.

Springs are probably crap- although I check to see when loaded and I hardly ever hit the rubber stops- Is that a good indicator of spring health? Overloaded- then hitting the stops?

Or you can buy a Iveco or I do like the next rung up from the NPS on one has put up any photos of yank tanks think flat deck dodge hmmm Cummins Diesel. Big tow rating comfortable and not a flat nose truck can get a big flat deck on them bad boys new one is over my wage bracket is zip but I do like the old gear