Pbee

A Sad Day In NZ Beekeeping History

@Stu has sold 'Hive Doctor' to Ecrotek.

I just got the email and my heart dropped.

Good on you Stu for building such an awesome company and for your products. I use your Nucs.

And I am really glad you didn't sell to Ceracell.

But 'why' make the big ones even bigger? All they create is monopoly and price hikes.

I just hope Ecrotek won't increase the price for your Nucs, all the rest of the gear has already gone up

• Like 1

I have the same feelings as you @Pbee. My heart dropped and my cheque book has had to go away for rehab. Well done @Stu , thanks for the great service over the years. Unfortunately, your customers are now in a fair old quandary as to what they are going to do.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, your customers are now in a fair old quandary as to what they are going to do.

Would you care to elaborate please ? If you need Hive Doctor just go to Ecrotek. What's quandareous about that ?

Unfortunately, your customers are now in a fair old quandary as to what they are going to do.

What's quandarous about buying from Ecrotek ?

Would you care to elaborate please ? If you need Hive Doctor just go to Ecrotek. What's quandareous about that

Stu is not far from me. I see him often and can usually work out something with freight. He is also in the NI so I don't have to pay the freight charge getting stuff over the ditch.

I have no problem dealing with Ecrotek, however they are in Christchurch and Auckland and freight will increase considerably.

I will have to look at what this is going to mean with pricing.

You'd have to think development would be hindered too

Yes I agree, However, the email from Hive Doctor said that Stu was still going to be involved with development.

• Like 1

When Ecrotec was Ecroyds we couldn't fault the service, now they have merged and the service is rubbish and the lack of stock in their ChCh warehouse is embarrassing.

The chances of even being able to get hold of any hive doctor nucs through Ecrotec is slim to none the way things are right now.

• Like 1

When Ecrotec was Ecroyds we couldn't fault the service, now they have merged and the service is rubbish and the lack of stock in their ChCh warehouse is embarrassing.

The chances of even being able to get hold of any hive doctor nucs through Ecrotec is slim to none the way things are right now.

Not much better up here in Auckland.

But a heck of a lot better than Ceracell. At least some of the things are in stock some of the time instead of none of of the items in stock none of the time. :rolleyes:

Congrats to @Stu , I hope you got a pretty penny! :)

Not much better up here in Auckland.

But a heck of a lot better than Ceracell. At least some of the things are in stock some of the time instead of none of of the items in stock none of the time. :rolleyes:

Abraham Lincoln said something similar .... both these suppliers are always outa stock this time of the year ... I just can't figure it out. I import as much stuff as I can

actually, i'm not sure if this post is relevant, esp as Abe was shot dead in 1869 or was it '68

Sorry guys'

Bee keeping has grown hugely and suppliers' can hardly be blamed for supply shortages for some high demand items or imported items.

Just plan ahead and order earlier or accept that your own lack of forward planning is the real reason for grumbling that suppliers' don't meet your expectations.

• Like 1

Sorry guys'

Bee keeping has grown hugely and suppliers' can hardly be blamed for supply shortages for some high demand items or imported items.

Just plan ahead and order earlier or accept that your own lack of forward planning is the real reason for grumbling that suppliers' don't meet your expectations.

You have 'nerve',

'We' beekeepers have been 'pre' ordering since time began,...

It is only since the marketing crave has hit NZ we ' those who have been pre-ordering' have been jeopardised. I would really like to tell you were to go, but I would bee banned again.

You don't know how lucky you are, boy!

• Like 1

I'm with @Pbee

1. I ordered in stock items paid for same on 11 November, still waiting for goods to arrive. They have been sent. No blimmin idea where they are. Feeling a little pissy... Far to busy to deal with bad service.

2. Ordered in July, goods arrived, in September (that was expected) , paid for, some items not in order, no mention on shipping docket. I ring, "Oh sorry, items not in stock." No mention of this when I ordered. Ring, get the actual boss, talk to him about advertising as 'one stop shop' when single order comes from two places with two lots of freight and half the order doesn't show up, get slightly caustic...

Hmmm customer service.

Like going to ecroyds for a beesuit, yes we have a beesuit but no we dont have any veils :(

Learning curve for suppliers this season. Obviously orders have exceeded what any sales forecast could have predicted.

So next season they stock more, and are left with surplus inventory and cash is tied up in products that aren't selling. Do they get to complain?

Not likely to happen, but puts it in perspective.

Learning curve for suppliers this season. Obviously orders have exceeded what any sales forecast could have predicted.

So next season they stock more, and are left with surplus inventory and cash is tied up in products that aren't selling. Do they get to complain?

Not likely to happen, but puts it in perspective.

Not really, unless you order from a NZ supplier at a time.

Yes if you have to order thousands of Chinese inferior quality at a time.

@dansar are you one of those 'chinese'?

Not really, unless you order from a NZ supplier at a time.

Yes if you have to order thousands of Chinese inferior quality at a time.

Nope, I am Ngati Palangi Pakeha.

• Like 3

He is not but I am. Not everyone can afford the expensive quality stuff. So there is a market for the less fortunate to have similar items. Also reduces the need for less fortunate from nicking quality stuff from the fortunate:). Seen the big Veon TVs lately. The Warehouse is still in business. NZ needs to breed more Kiwi genes. Improvise and make your own. It does not have to come off the shelf.

Did I not see some other thread of a smaller supplier offering goods but get shot.

Sideline for the forum. A Cooperative Shop.

Sideline for the forum. A Cooperative Shop.

Brilliant idea, but would fail as distribution would eliminate the discount for buying bulk.

Ecrotek is still offering a discount for buying in quantity. (y)

Oh I so wish I had money and a warehouse.

This 'shortage' of foundation, frames and stories in spring till xmas has been going on for the last 4 years. These are items that would not catch any dust on the shelf!

Oh I so wish I had money and a warehouse.

This 'shortage' of foundation, frames and stories in spring till xmas has been going on for the last 4 years. These are items that would not catch any dust on the shelf!

Im with you on that on Pbee. An opportunity going begging.

Some sector of the beekeeping will be happy with the lack of supply of gear. Slow down the number of new beekeepers everywhere. Conspiracy Theory. :)

I met a lady the other day who had 160 hives ALL with hive doctors. Why does this news make me want one more? Because I am a Nubee wanting to look after and expand my precious bee colonies. 1 is not early enough ! Well done Stu

• Like 1

Thanks @Stu, I'm a huge fan of your bases with most of my hives using them, I've recently ordered HD nuc boxes which I'm highly impressed with, both with cost and design. My only concern is a significant price hike for the gear, for example, the price for bases compete very well with wooden bases, even with freight cost to SI. The nucs are cheaper compared to ecroteks current inferior cardboard nuc boxes, so I am expecting HD boxes to jump up hugely in price if the cardboard nucs are anything to go by, I can only hope they honour the old pricing with bulk buying as it makes nuc sales more affortable for buyers.

Anyhow sad too see you go Stu, great customer service, but glad you get to spend more time with the kids and bees.