Jump to content

Varroa treatment for a just caught swarm


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my swarm last month. It had a virgin queen and I put it in a FD box with new frames.

A week later I made an OA fumigation treatment(there already were 3 patches of combs with some nectar).

Lees than a week after the treatment there were few fresh eggs.

This was my first attempt of this kind of treatment and I call it successful, however I am not sure about the success rate if I have to do the same thing with 50 swarms.

 

I also had a split with unsuccessful queen mating and I united it with the swarm. Now everything goes well in that colony.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sure the treatment was good as there was no brood of any age and there was enough OA(1g) fume to cover everything. I did not make any counting so do not ask statistics please.

 

As a possible side effect I was thinking, prior treatment, about losing the queen. I did not know what to think about the virgin queen's reaction after the fumigation. It seems to be a safe treatment(no harm to the virgin queen as she did not lost orientation during her mating flight = SUCCESS).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...