Who has best design for bottom board

Hi a couple of questions, does anyone use tanalised timber for base boards? I know the runners need to be tanalised but what do people use for the base? Is there a standard size for the packer/riser the creates the entrance gap? I just got some supers from Ceracell and I think they are treated with Copper napthenate. Does anyone paint that on/soak untreated pine for base boards? Is tounge in groove the go? I cant see why little gaps wouldn't help ventilation. In the end I want to make mesh floors but I have run out of time this season.... You could get shrinkage not using the t and g if it was wet when you put it together....

kind regards Justin

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've got treated ply with a couple of coats of paint. If the bees have no reason to chew on them there's no issue.

Yes, ply is name of material we used.. I placed somewhere on forum pics of mating nucs and nuc which I made of that ply which are only painted outside, not treated inside. I still use these mating nuc

Posted Images

I want to make mesh floors but I have run out of time
? Simpler than making bases: have a look at the meshed pallets of some of the itinerant industrial beeks.

---------------------------------------------------

Mirrors on the hive mats

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
does anyone use tanalised timber for base boards?

Justin, a mate of mine uses tanalised boards for his bases, says he hates rotten timber, i've had a look and can see nothing wrong with the health,size or vitality of his colonies.

I cant see why little gaps wouldn't help ventilation.

mine have some pretty big shrinkage gaps, some of them too big - like - shift at night only. !!!

• 4 years later...

If possible dip into paraffin? Some goods at my place arrive from China on pallets which are full bottom ( layered - don't know how exactly called in English - OSB maybe?), we dipped in paraffin and last loooong and no side effects noticed on bees. Prior to that they use to burn them, after we started to take them and make bottom boards or roofs they started to charge them. We stopped to take them. Didn't make something of them for long ( I am now replacing with plastic bb which have optional pollen catcher).

6 hours ago, Kiwi Bee said:

Did anybody use decking timber for full bottom boards? The smooth version.

I would like to make a few and I have the timber. Since it is a treated timber I am not sure when it gets wet, will it release any toxins?

I've got treated ply with a couple of coats of paint. If the bees have no reason to chew on them there's no issue.

• Thanks 1

Yes, ply is name of material we used.. I placed somewhere on forum pics of mating nucs and nuc which I made of that ply which are only painted outside, not treated inside. I still use these mating nucs and nuc and have no issues visible. 

• Like 1