tudor

Wax candles coming on nicely

Got lots of cappings wax from last season, and moulds have arrived from Thornes'.

This is what they help us make, the previous candles were made and burned for mid-Winter celebration, now I can make better candles.

Their texture and smell is great.

I'll post technical details later.

candles-4499.jpg.64581f4843979b475dc951c848ca5a71.jpg

candles-4499.jpg.64581f4843979b475dc951c848ca5a71.jpg

• Like 5

Got lots of cappings wax from last season, and moulds have arrived from Thornes'.

This is what they help us make, the previous candles were made and burned for mid-Winter celebration, now I can make better candles.

Their texture and smell is great.

I'll post technical details later.

Do you make dipped candles?

No, that just to me seems so tedious and time consuming, these are moulds which work very well.

Have you tried dipping ?

Not personally, watched a video of a bee keeper making dipped candles, yes tedious, but it was nice how simple and effective it was, having said that, I can imagine the molds make it even more simple. I bet they smell wonderful, I am quite taken by the smell of beeswax, I always offer a frame I have just embedded to visitors to smell, never seem as excited as I am.

• Like 1

Looks great Tudor, they burn great don't they. We have gotten a mold from Amazon from Mann Lake and made beeswax candles last year and it is easy and fun to do. They make great pressies as well.

• Like 1

Yes, scent of honey and flowers.

Very little smoke, but must keep wick trimmed.

Nice ...

• Like 1

but must keep wick trimmed.

That would indicate to me that you have yet to obtain the latest & greatest self trimming wick yarn ?

Not quite 100 % so keep an eye on it, use sharp scissors if needed.

And ask guests (usually grand kids) not to, if they fiddle and cause dripping.

That would indicate to me that you have yet to obtain the latest & greatest self trimming wick yarn ?

sounds interesting, can you recommend where to buy mould and wick from? any photos?

Look up Thornes in the UK, nothing else seems to be available.

They have moulds and wicks.

But ends up quite expensive with the postage.

Look at Amazon as well for candle molds and wick, I got mine from there. They onsell molds from a US beekeeping site called Mann Lake. Don't know if they sell internationally. But as Tutor said, they with postage the cost is what it is. See what you think.

On amazon I found a nice mann lake mould but it was out of stock. A combined order for wick and ends was over $35 so shipping was free. But as well as the mould being out of stock (most of them were) they then informed me that the wick and ends were not allowed to be shipped overseas. So that was zero out of 3 items sorted. :) Then I went to Thornes moulds are in realm of 35 pounds, shipping isn't quoted so I emailed them to ask, will see what they come back with.

On amazon I found a nice mann lake mould but it was out of stock. A combined order for wick and ends was over $35 so shipping was free. But as well as the mould being out of stock (most of them were) they then informed me that the wick and ends were not allowed to be shipped overseas. So that was zero out of 3 items sorted. :) Then I went to Thornes moulds are in realm of 35 pounds, shipping isn't quoted so I emailed them to ask, will see what they come back with.

Just do an order and the shipping comes up, you don't need to make the buy.

You can buy enough to make the shipping worth while until you reach the next "step", but it hurts ! A lot.

And when making overseas purchases look at going through NZ Post's "Youshop" which gives you a local eg US address.

• Agree 1

@ChrisM May I suggest you order direct from Mann Lakes website and use the service provided by NZ Post called YouShop. They will provide you with an address in the States you can have the goods shipped to and they will then forward it on to you and take care of customs and so forth. I have used them a fair bit and no problems.
  • Like 1

Try soap molds or silicone baking trays maybe ?

Yes, they are very good for "pucks" or "votive" candles, very popular at a recent Art Fair.

[doublepost=1450253865,1450253829][/doublepost]

Yes, they are very good for "pucks" or "votive" candles, very popular at a recent Art Fair.

[doublepost=1450253865,1450253829][/doublepost]

If you're looking for something bigger say around 258x68 x74mm @ $24.00 google Pure Nature

Ok so this is an older thread, but some good info

Ive been helping a friend with some candle making into tea cups.

This is a soy / beeswax combo 

0C9A40ED-9EB6-4B84-B7FE-7265EDB23ECF.thumb.jpeg.195487aa79ce39354440cd8c27fead62.jpeg

The glass candle is one I made last week.

• Like 3

Pipe and end caps from Bunnings with a hole drilled in it dead centre. Spray with oil. Works a treat, if they don't come out, chuck them in the freezer.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 2

21 hours ago, Bron said:

Pipe and end caps from Bunnings with a hole drilled in it dead centre. Spray with oil. Works a treat, if they don't come out, chuck them in the freezer.

for soap molds or candle molds, Bron?  I know people use downpipe for soap molds

• Like 1

@deejaycee, candle moulds. Dale won't let me use them for soap. Really it's elder abuse!:IMG_0380:

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Bron said:

@deejaycee, candle moulds. Dale won't let me use them for soap. Really it's elder abuse!:IMG_0380:

Photo ? 

• Haha 2