Gavin Smith

Manuka madness and the next snake oil

MPI are in a sticky spot aren't they.

if they set the standard high it will bankrupt more than a few honey producers, it will also put a serious dampener on the amount of "Manuka" honey exported which in turn will hamper the aim of increasing export value for "NZinc"

No one will go bankrupt and we are going to sell more and more honey.

Relax

I will add one caution,

Those who fail to do everything they can to stay ahead of the pathogens will run aground.

That is the challenge ahead, forget the rest

• Like 2

MPI are in a sticky spot aren't they.

if they set the standard high it will bankrupt more than a few honey producers, it will also put a serious dampener on the amount of "Manuka" honey exported which in turn will hamper the aim of increasing export value for "NZinc"

No one will go bankrupt and we are going to sell more and more honey.

Relax

I will add one caution,

Those who fail to do everything they can to stay ahead of the pathogens will run aground.

That is the challenge ahead, forget the rest

Do you think that if MPI increase the standard, then Manuka areas will be overrun with hives affecting the livelihood of local beekeepers

Who knows queen bee ...... short supply of real manuka ..... price goes through the roof ..... bush honey prices follow as packers chase it to blend.

May be the good areas get swamped with bees and everyone comes home shaking their heads at the meager amounts of honey gathered.

Or maybe we all say... blow that .... lets go back to what we were doing originally ..... keeping bees because we got a buzz out of opening lids and admiring the orderliness and industriousness of the stinging critters.

• Like 3

Who knows queen bee ...... short supply of real manuka ..... price goes through the roof ..... bush honey prices follow as packers chase it to blend.

May be the good areas get swamped with bees and everyone comes home shaking their heads at the meager amounts of honey gathered.

Or maybe we all say... blow that .... lets go back to what we were doing originally ..... keeping bees because we got a buzz out of opening lids and admiring the orderliness and industriousness of the stinging critters.

We are already seeing the swamping effect here, our local area is heavily hived and heard a rumor there is another 1,000 hives coming within 3-4km of us into an area that already has a commercial keeper in it. Be lucky if we have any left for our breakfast toast.

Do you think that if MPI increase the standard, then Manuka areas will be overrun with hives affecting the livelihood of local beekeepers

Personally Queen Bee I think that the real issue isnt about hive numbers in relation to nectar sources.

That is simple economics in which there will be some winners and second place getters, thats just life and in the scheme of things not that important really,

People are infinitely adaptable and will usually find a niche to slot into one way or another.

The real issue in relation to overstocking etc relates to Animal Health.

Most good Beeks understand this and it should be the basis of any policy or controls.

Personally Queen Bee I think that the real issue isnt about hive numbers in relation to nectar sources.

That is simple economics in which there will be some winners and second place getters, thats just life and in the scheme of things not that important really,

People are infinitely adaptable and will usually find a niche to slot into one way or another.

The real issue in relation to overstocking etc relates to Animal Health.

Most good Beeks understand this and it should be the basis of any policy or controls.

Yes I agree about the health aspect, except the income from bees is essential. If we cannot generate some $'s from our bees due to overstocking then we are deep in it. What I can see happening, and I hope I am wrong, is the small beekeeper who relies on the income being pushed out. As for "in the scheme of things not that important really" it is easy to say that if it is not you who is suffering because of it. Lets just hope the rumor is wrong :-)